Sample Mobile Internet Setup Explorer
Here you can explore some common mobile internet configurations, including some of the mobile internet setups of other RVers and cruisers.
Use the hover points to learn more about each component of a setup. And then browse the current featured options for each.
Remember - the sky (sometimes literally) is the limit in possibilities - so don't restrict yourself to just these samples.
About This Setup
Consumer level mobile hotspots (also known as Jetpacks and MiFis) are easily obtainable direct from the carriers.
Combined with Starlink, they are a popular option that many nomads use for their cellular data needs.
- Hotspots are generally affordable - Flagship 4G/LTE models typically around $200-250, 5G models can be higher.
- Hotspots are plug-and-play - no advanced tech skills needed
- Hotspots create their own private Wi-Fi network. Some even come with an Ethernet port to create a wired network.
- Hotspots are battery powered portable solution you can take away from the RV/boat.
- Hotspots are easy to upgrade as new options come out or your needs change.
- Starlink can provide coverage in areas where cellular service is weak or absent, potentially reducing the need for multiple cellular carriers.
- Consumer level hotspots usually lacking advanced features.
- Hotspots models tend to be optimized for a specific carrier, with only limited usability on another carrier.
- Prone to battery swelling if left plugged in or under constant use.
- Starlink is expensive and has low priority on Mobile plans when in congested areas.
- Starlink needs clear access to the sky.
- Starlink uses a lot of power compared to a hotspot or cellular router.
Those who need internet access in areas where there isn't cellular coverage, but want a back up option where Starlink isn't ideal. A great option for potentially covering many locations.
Explore our Starlink Resource Collection:
Featured Mobile Hotspots
Below are current flagship model hotspot devices for all of the carriers.
Review: Netgear Nighthawk M6/M6 Pro Mobile Hotspots MR6110/MR6150/MR6400/MR6500/MR6550 (Mobile Hotspot)
Antennas for Hotspots
Below are antennas with T-S9 antenna connectors, which are designed to fit with mobile hotspot devices. Keep in mind, you can also use any antenna with hotspots with an adapter as well. So don't restrict yourself to just these options.
Data Plans for Data Devices
Below are some top data plans that are specifically for data only devices that you might want to consider. Or shop all the plans we're tracking.