AT&T is one of the major nationwide cellular carriers in the United States and has many different plan offerings. With its vast network coverage, AT&T is commonly used as a primary cellular option by full-time travelers.
AT&T also offers plans for Business customers. To see the current Business Plan options, see our AT&T Postpaid Business entry.
Top Pick Notes: AT&T offers the following plans that we consider top picks and are worth focusing your research on:
AT&T Unlimited Tablet
- Device: Tablets
- Data: Unlimited on device data, varying degrees of network management and hotspot buckets
- Price: $20/mo
- Notes: Available standalone without other lines of service via AT&T consumer postpaid, or added on to existing AT&T 'Unlimited Your Way' plans for consumer or business. Terms of network management and mobile hotspot might differ.
- More Info: View the 'Tablet' Tab On this Page
- Device: Smartphones
- Data: Unlimited On Device, No Network Management, 50GB Mobile hotspot
- Price: $85/mo
- Notes: The Consumer Unlimited Premium plan comes with 50GB of high-speed mobile hotspot data
- More Info: Consumer: View the 'Unlimited Smartphones Plans' Tab on this Page. For an even better version of the plan, see our Gear Center for AT&T Business Plans
For more plans that provide lots of data: Top Pick Data Plans Guide
Unlimited Smartphone Plans
AT&T currently offers 5 plans, 4 of which are unlimited on-device data (see grid below for all pricing details). The Unlimited Premium, Extra, and Starter fall under AT&T's "Unlimited Your Way" branding, which allows mix-and-match options to customize the plan for each line on an account. The top-tier Unlimited Premium plan is one of our Top Pick Data Plans. The Value Plus plan is available for single lines of service only; lines on Value Plus cannot be combined with "Unlimited Your Way" plan lines and do not count towards multi-line discounts.
- Unlimited Premium - $85/Single Line **TOP PICK**
- Unlimited Extra - $75/Single Line
- Unlimited Starter - $65/Single Line
- Value Plus - $50/Single Line ONLY
- 4GB Plan - $50/Single Line
Unlimited Plan Specifications:
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T
- Carrier Relationship: Direct
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone
- Device Types Permitted: Smartphone, Tablets, Connected Cars, Wearables, Mobile hotspot devices, Laptops
- Unlimited: Yes
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Unlimited Premium: 50GB per line (2G after cap)
- Unlimited Extra: 15GB per line (2G after cap)
- Unlimited Starter: 3GB per line (2G after cap)
- Value Plus - None
- 4GB Plan - None
- Mobile hotspot devices & laptops (add-on): 15GB/$25, then $10/2GB additional overage fee
- Tablets (add-on): 15GB mobile hotspot data
- Throttling: Full speed on device, mobile hotspot throttles noted above
- Network Management:
- Unlimited Premium: None
- Unlimited Extra: After 50GB
- Unlimited Starter: Always
- Value Plus: Always
- 4GB Plan: None
- Video Streaming Resolution:
- Unlimited Premium: Up to 4K UHD
- Unlimited Extra: 480p
- Unlimited Starter: 480p
- Value Plus: 480p
- Mobile Hotspot/Laptops: 720p
- 5G Access: Yes
- eSIM: Yes
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Plan Period: 30 days
- International Roaming:
- Full plan data usage in Mexico/Canada, however roaming off AT&T's network partners may be limited to 2G speed. (Smartphones and tablets only.)
- For other countries, AT&T offers various addons, including day passes or pay-as-you-go rates.
- Unlimited Premium includes coverage in 19 Latin American countries for unlimited talk, text, and high-speed data.
- Domestic Roaming:
- Domestic data roaming is limited to 400MB per month. If you exceed that, your data access may be shut down until you are back on AT&T native towers. Excessive domestic roaming can also lead to the permanent termination of roaming.
- Domestic roaming may be throttled to 2G speeds at all times.
- Data Rollover: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Lines permitted per account: 10
- Value Plus is available on a single line only
- AT&T Active Armor
- Stadia Pro—6 months of streaming gaming on us
- Discount on DirecTV service.
Pricing Grid Comparison
AT&T Unlimited Tablet (**Top Pick**)
Tablets can be added as an extra line onto AT&T's unlimited smartphone plans for just $20/month. When added as a line of service, data is unlimited on the tablet but is always subject to network management. Additionally addon tablet lines get 15GB of mobile hotspot use and support for HD video.
However, there's also a little-known standalone unlimited data tablet plan, also just $20/month, that can be purchased ala carte without other lines of service. It's assumed this plan is intended for adding tablet lines to accounts that have already reached their 10-line limit, but it still can be activated without other lines of service.
There is little information available on the current details of the plan as it's not published anywhere, but some reports indicate the plan has network management after 22GB of usage and includes some high-speed mobile hotspot use (assumed to be at 10GB). While previous versions of this plan came with the ability to turn Stream Saver off and on, we have recently seen reports that newer versions of this plan do not have that option.
It is listed in AT&T's system as "AT&T Unlimited Tablet." Previous versions were called "Unlimited For iPad" and "Unlimited for Tablet". You'll have to find a rep who knows about this plan over the phone or in a corporate store to activate it on a cellular-enabled tablet.
This is a post-paid plan for tablets only, and there is a $30 activation fee.
There are further notes in the member section below on this option.
These are the options available for LTE and 5G devices:
- 25GB for $50/month
- 40GB for $75/month
The price includes a $10/month discount if auto payment and e-billing is selected. This plan does not use shared data - a data allotment must be purchased for each device. Once the data limit is met, additional data will be automatically added at $10/2GB.
Connected Car & RV
These plans are offered for vehicles with built-in hotspots, such as GM's OnStar, Airstreams and Ford's SYNC systems. They also offer an aftermarket OBD-II device that is eligible for in-vehicle usage only. More information is available on the AT&T Connected Car website.
- Connected Car Unlimited Data: $20/month per car, for up to 3 cars
- Network Management after 22GB
- Includes roaming into Canada
- HarmanSpark (or other OBD-II devices)
- 5GB or 10GB plans
- Add to an existing Mobile Share Plan for $10/month
Mobile Share Data
Mobile Share Data Plans
These plans include a shared data amount to share with up to 10 data-only devices. Smartphones are not eligible. Eligible devices include tablets, laptops, routers and hotspot devices.
There is a monthly plan charge plus a monthly device access charge for each data-only device on your account that will be using the plan. Monthly device access charges are determined by the type of data-only devices you add to the plan. Laptops, netbooks, and hotspots are $20/month, and tablets and gaming devices are $10/month.
These plans are not available online, they can only be purchased in stores. More information can be found on AT&T's Mobile Share Data Plans page.
Monthly plan charges are as follows:
FirstNet is AT&T's platform for first responders and the public safety community. You must be a first responder or in public safety in order to be eligible for these plans.
Those who may be in or associated with those communities can check eligibility at the FirstNet website.
Currently Available Plans
- Responder Unlimited with Tethering (Smartphone) - $44.99/month (includes hotspot data)
- Responder Unlimited (Smartphone) - $39.99/month (no hotspot data)
- Responder Unlimited for Tablets - $40.00/month
- Responder Unlimited for Wearable Devices - $25.00/month
Plans with smaller data buckets are also available.
News, Videos, & Status
Other AT&T Videos:
- AT&T Unlimited Your Way Tablet Add-Ons ($20/mo) Get 15GB Mobile Hotspot & HD Video (Sept 2021)
- AT&T Brings Back Hotspot Device Add-Ons.. And Overage Charges?!?! (July 2021)
- AT&T To Add 5G Access to Some Legacy Unlimited Data Plans / Carrier Update on Older Plans (March 2021)
Related News Stories
- AT&T Raises Price on 100GB Prepaid Hotspot/Router Data Plan - Now $90/mo Posted on: June 22, 2022
- FMCA Tech Connect+ Data Plan Transitioning from T-Mobile to AT&T - $59.99/mo Unlimited Hotspot Posted on: June 7, 2022
- AT&T Unlimited Premium Replaces Unlimited Elite for Consumers: Now With 50GB Mobile Hotspot Data Posted on: June 6, 2022
- Cellphone Carriers Planning Price Increases Posted on: May 16, 2022
- New AT&T Flagship Hotspots Announced: Netgear Nighthawk M6 and M6 Pro, First With Qualcomm X65 Modem Posted on: April 22, 2022
- AT&T Adds Value Plus Postpaid Smartphone Plan, Unlimited Starter Now Includes 3GB of Mobile Hotspot Data Posted on: March 2, 2022
- AT&T Signs 3G Roaming Agreement with T-Mobile Posted on: February 22, 2022
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Member Exclusive Content/Review
- Thoughts & Analysis
- Deep Dive
- Data Plans in Routers
- Postpaid Unlimited Tablet Plan Notes
- Plan Policies
- Discounts Available
- Retired Plan Archives
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer). We request vendors give our members bigger discounts instead of giving us affiliate kickbacks.
Member Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our MIAs get special discounts from these vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. Some vendors offer up to 10% off - you could save more than the cost of your membership on major purchases.
- AT&T - Unlimited Smartphone Data Plans
- AT&T - Standalone Unlimited Tablet Plan - Only on phone or in stores
- AT&T - Data Connect Plans
- AT&T - Mobile Share Plans
- AT&T - Connected Car Plan
- AT&T Wireless Home Internet Plans
Shopping for Cellular Data Plans
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Here's our video going over ways to get LOTS of data for use in your travels:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. You also need the right gear, signal enhancing strategy and planning your travels around the options you carry with you. Head on over to our collection of guides:
Top Data Plan Picks
Our constantly updated list of the BEST data plans.
Which Carrier is Best?
Is Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Dish best for your travels?
Selecting Data Plans
Our deep dive into understanding data plans and shopping for them.
Data Plan Pricing Grid
Our always updated spreadsheet comparing all data plans suitable for mobile internet.
Getting LOTS of the Data
Learn how to get lots of cellular data in your mobile internet arsenal.