AT&T is one of the major nationwide cellular carriers in the United States, and has many different plan offerings. With their vast network coverage, AT&T is commonly used a primary cellular option by full-time travelers.
Table of Contents
- Unlimited Plans (Smartphone & Tablets)
- Mobile Share Plans
- Data Only Plans
- Business Plans
- Related Videos & News
- Purchasing Options
Unlimited Smartphone Plans
AT&T's current unlimited plan offerings include three plans (see grid below for all pricing details):
- Unlimited Starter - $65/Single Line
- Unlimited Extra - $75/Single Line
- Unlimited Elite - $85/Single Line
Unlimited Plan Specifications:
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T
- Carrier Relationship: Direct
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone
- Device Types Permitted: Smartphone, Tablets, Connected Cars, Wearables
- Unlimited: Yes
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Throttling: Full speed on device, mobile hotspot throttles noted above.
- Network Management:
- Unlimited Starter: After 22GB
- Unlimited Extra: After 50GB
- Unlimited Elite: After 100GB
- Video Streaming Resolution:
- Unlimited Starter: 480p
- Unlimited Extra: 480p
- Unlimited Elite: 480p, but can be 1080p if Stream Saver is turned off
- 5G Access:
- Unlimited Starter: Yes - no extra charge
- Unlimited Extra: Yes - no extra charge
- Unlimited Elite: Yes - no extra charge
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Plan Period: 30 days
- International Roaming:
- Domestic Roaming:
- Domestic data roaming limited to 400MB per month. If you exceed that, your data access may be shut down until you are back on AT&T native towers. Excessive domestic roaming can also lead to permanent termination of roaming.
- Domestic roaming may be throttled to 2G speeds at all times.
- Data Rollover: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Lines permitted per account: 10
- Unlimited Elite Plan includes HBO Max
- Data-free cellular streaming on DirecTV and Watch TV app.
- Discount on DirecTV service.
Pricing Grid Comparison
Mobile Share Plus
These tiered data plans offer only two plan options:
- 3GB - $50/month
- 9GB - 60/month
There is also a monthly "access charge" for each device sharing in the data - $20/mo for smartphones and hotspots and $10/mo for tables and devices. With the line access charges, plus taxes and fees, these plans can be very expensive for the amount of data they provide.
There is no Network Management on these plans and streaming is capped at 480p.
Data Only Plans
AT&T offers five different postpaid plans for data-only devices: Data Connect, Connected Car & RV, Wireless Internet (available online), as well as the Tablet Unlimited and Mobile Share Data plans which are available in-store only.
These are the options available for LTE and 5G devices:
- 15GB for $60/month
- 35GB for $85/month
There is a $10/month discount if auto payment and e-billing is selected. This plan does not use shared data - a data allotment must be purchased for each device. Once the data limit is met, additional data will be automatically added at $10/2GB.
Connected Car & RV
These plans are offered for vehicles with built-in hotspots, such as GM's OnStar, Airstreams and Ford's SYNC systems. They also offer an aftermarket OBD-II device that is eligible for in vehicle usage only. More information is available on the AT&T Connected Car website.
- Built-in diagnostics device (OnStar) Connected Unlimited Data: $20/month per car, for up to 3 cars
- Network Management after 22GB
- Includes roaming into Canada
- HarmanSpark (or other OBD-II device)
- 5GB or 10GB plans
- Add to an existing Mobile Share Plan for $10/month
Wireless Internet (**Top Pick**)
AT&T Wireless internet provides a traditional telephone line and data and are only eligible on AT&T's Wireless Internet devices (which are a combo cellular embedded router with phone jack). These plans can not be activated on other hotspots or routers.
While intended as a home or business internet solution, the plans and devices are mobile-friendly.
- 100GB for $100/month
- 50GB for $60/month
Info on these plans can be found here: AT&T Wireless Internet
Tablet Unlimited Plan (**Top Pick**)
Tablets can be enabled as single lines of service at full price on AT&T's "unlimited" plans, or added on to unlimited smartphone plans for just $20/month.
However, there's also a little known plan for just $20/month that includes unlimited data on tablets that can be purchased ala carte without other lines of service. It's assumed this plan is really there for adding on to accounts that have already reached their 10-line limit - but it still can be activated without other lines of service.
The plan has network management after 22GB of usage, and it's unconfirmed if any high speed mobile hotspot is included.
It is listed in AT&T's system as "AT&T UNLIMITED IPAD 4G LTE $20."
This is a post-paid plan for tablets only, and there is a $30 activation fee.
There are further notes in the member section below on this option.
Mobile Share Data Plans (In-Store Only)
These plans include a shared data amount to share with up to 10 data-only devices. Smartphones are not eligible. Eligible devices include tablets, laptops, routers and hotspot devices.
There is a monthly plan charge plus a monthly device access charge for each data-only device on your account that will be using the plan. Monthly device access charges are determined by the type of data-only devices you add to the plan. Laptops, netbooks, and hotspots are $20/month, and tablets and gaming devices are $10/month.
Monthly plan charges are as follows:
AT&T Business offerings for smartphones and data only devices that may be an option for those who have a qualifying business. These plans come with some major advantages over AT&T's consumer plans - such as 100GB of high seed mobile hotspot off of a smartphone for the same price.
To see the current options, check out our AT&T Postpaid Business entry.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
Related News & Videos
- First AT&T 5G Mobile Hotspot Available for Consumers - Netgear Nighthawk 5G Mobile Hotspot Pro Posted on: September 16, 2020
- 5G Cellular: Verizon & Dish Are Big Winners In CBRS Spectrum Auction, C-Band Auction Looms Posted on: September 14, 2020
- Where To Go when Togo Plans Go - “AT&T Unlimited Adventure Plan” Replacement Ideas Posted on: September 1, 2020
- Cricket Wireless Introduces 100GB Simply Data Plan for $90/mo for Hotspots & Routers AND Adds 5G Access to Some Plans Posted on: August 21, 2020
- 3G Shutdown Update: Carriers Sunsetting 3G to Make Room for 5G Posted on: July 30, 2020
- AT&T Officially Claims "Nationwide" 5G Coverage - But Don't Get Too Excited Posted on: July 23, 2020
- Teacher, Nurse & Doctor Discounts Available On Verizon & AT&T Unlimited Postpaid Accounts Posted on: July 10, 2020
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
- AT&T - Unlimited Data Plans
- AT&T - Mobile Share Plans
- AT&T - Connected Car Plan
- AT&T Wireless Home Internet Plans
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.