AT&T is one of the major nationwide cellular carriers in the United States, and has many different plan offerings. With their vast network coverage, AT&T is commonly used a primary cellular option by full-time travelers.
Table of Contents
- Unlimited Plans (Smartphone & Tablets)
- Mobile Share Plans
- Data Only Plans
- Business Plans
- Related Videos & News
- Purchase Options
Unlimited Smartphone Plans
AT&T's current unlimited plan offerings include three plans (see grid below for all pricing details):
- Unlimited Starter - $65/Single Line
- Unlimited Extra - $75/Single Line
- Unlimited Elite - $85/Single Line
Unlimited Plan Specifications:
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T
- Carrier Relationship: Direct
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone
- Device Types Permitted: Smartphone, Tablets, Connected Cars, Wearables
- Unlimited: Yes
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Unlimited Starter: No mobile hotspot data
- Unlimited Extra: 15GB per line (2G after cap)
- Unlimited Elite: Includes 30GB per line (2G after cap)
- Tablet lines: 15GB
- Throttling: Full speed on device, mobile hotspot throttles noted above.
- Network Management:
- Unlimited Starter: After 22GB
- Unlimited Extra: After 50GB
- Unlimited Elite: After 100GB
- Video Streaming Resolution:
- Unlimited Starter: 480p
- Unlimited Extra: 480p
- Unlimited Elite: 480p, but can be 1080p if Stream Saver is turned off
- 5G Access:
- Unlimited Starter: No
- Unlimited Extra: Yes - no extra charge
- Unlimited Elite: Yes - no extra charge
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Plan Period: 30 days
- International Roaming:
- Domestic Roaming:
- Domestic data roaming limited to 400MB per month. If you exceed that, your data access may be shut down until you are back on AT&T native towers. Excessive domestic roaming can also lead to permanent termination of roaming.
- Domestic roaming may be throttled to 2G speeds at all times.
- Data Rollover: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Lines permitted per account: 10
- Unlimited Elite Plan includes HBO Max
- Data-free cellular streaming on DirecTV and Watch TV app.
- Discount on DirecTV service.
Pricing Grid Comparison
Mobile Share Plus
These tiered data plans offer only two plan options:
- 3GB - $50/month
- 9GB - 60/month
There is also a monthly "access charge" for each device sharing in the data - $20/mo for smartphones and hotspots and $10/mo for tables and devices. With the line access charges, plus taxes and fees, these plans can be very expensive for the amount of data they provide.
There is no Network Management on these plans and streaming is capped at 480p.
Data Only Plans
AT&T offers five different postpaid plans for data only devices: Data Connect, Connected Car & RV, Wireless Internet (available online), as well as the Tablet Unlimited and Mobile Share Data plans which are available in-store only.
Data only plans for tablets, laptops, mobile hotspots, and gaming devices. Access to AT&T's domestic public Wi-Fi hotspots is included. There are two plan options:
- 10GB for $50/month
- 15GB for $70/month
This plan does not use shared data - a data allotment must be purchased for each device (except for mobile hotspots which can use data as hotspot data). If data limit is met, addtional data will be automatically added at 1GB/$10.
Connected Car & RV
These plans are offered for vehicles with built-in hotspots, such as GM's OnStar, Airstreams and Ford's SYNC systems. They also offer an aftermarket OBD-II device that is eligible for in vehicle usage only. More information is available on the AT&T Connected Car website.
There are two plan options available:
- Connected Unlimited Data: $20/month per car, for up to 3 cars
- Network Management after 22GB
- Includes roaming into Canada
- Add to an existing Mobile Share Plan for $10/month
AT&T Wireless internet provides a "home" telephone line and data. It is intended to service rural areas without landline internet service.
Info on these plans can be found here: AT&T Wireless Home Internet
Tablet Unlimited Plan
Tablets can be enabled as single lines of service at full price on AT&T's "unlimited" plans.
However there's also a little known plan for just $20/month unlimited data plan to tablets that can be purchased ala carte without other lines of service. It's assumed this plan is really there for adding on to accounts that have already reached their 10-line limit - but it still is able to be activated without other lines of service. It should be listed in their system as "AT&T UNLIMITED IPAD 4G LTE $20."
This is a post-paid plan for tablets only, and there is a $30 activation fee.
There are further notes in the member section below on this option.
Mobile Share Data Plans (In-Store Only)
These plans include a shared data amount to share with up to 10 data-only devices. Smartphones are not eligible. Eligible devices include tablets, laptops, and hotspot devices.
There is a monthly plan charge plus a monthly device access charge for each data-only device on your account that will be using the plan. Monthly device access charges are determined by the type of data-only devices you add to the plan. Laptops, netbooks, and hotspots are $20/month, and tablets and gaming devices are $10/month.
Monthly plan charges are as follows:
AT&T Business offerings may be an option for those who have a qualifying business. For those with a qualifying business, these plans come with some major advantages over AT&T's consumer plans.
To see the current options, check out our AT&T Business Unlimited entry.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
Related News & Videos
- 5G Industry Update: Verizon's 5G Laptop, AT&T Unleashes DSS, T-Mobile Serves Cake, And More! Posted on: June 29, 2020
- AT&T-Based MVNOs H20 Wireless and PureTalk USA Increase Data Limits on Smartphone Plans Posted on: June 4, 2020
- AT&T Prepaid Introduces New 12GB/$40 Plan - Available at Authorized Prepaid Dealers Only Posted on: June 3, 2020
- AT&T Launches HBO Max Streaming Service Posted on: May 27, 2020
- Consumer Cellular Offers New 'Unlimited' Plan With Mobile Hotspot Capability for $60 - But It's Really a 35GB Plan Posted on: May 7, 2020
- AT&T Prepaid Increases AutoPay Discount on Unlimited Plus Plan, Extends Discount on Unlimited Plan, and Adds Referral Program Posted on: April 14, 2020
- Black Wireless No Longer offering T-Mobile Plans, Current Customers Canceled Effective April 10 Posted on: April 7, 2020
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
- AT&T - Unlimited Data Plans
- AT&T - Mobile Share Plans
- AT&T - Connected Car Plan
- AT&T Wireless Home Internet Plans
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.