Currently, AT&T offers several postpaid plan options. This guide focuses on the AT&T business plans - of which the Elite plan is a Top Pick plan for mobile data seekers.
For info on all of AT&T's direct postpaid options, see our guide:
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
AT&T Unlimited Business Plans
AT&T Business offerings *may* be an option for those who have a qualifying business. For those with a qualifying business, these new plans come with some major advantages over AT&T's consumer plans.
The Unlimited Business plan lineup comes in three tiers and is designed for small-medium sized business that need up to 10 lines per account:
- Business Unlimited Elite - $85 (**TOP PICK PLAN**)
- Business Unlimited Performance - $75
- This mid-tier plan includes 30GB of mobile hotspot data, a 50GB network management threshold, and HD (1080p) streaming. Access to AT&T's 5G networks is included.
- Business Unlimited Starter - $65
- This basic plan is always subject to network management, doesn't include any mobile hotspot data, and only supports SD (480p) video streaming. Does not include access to AT&T's 5G networks
Policies & Perks
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T
- Carrier Relationship: Direct
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone (unlimited talk/text)
- Devices Permitted:
- Tablets, cameras, & connected cars (with built-in modems): $20/month
- Harman Spark connected vehicle device: $25/mont
- Connected wearables: $10/month
- Mobile hotspot devices cannot be added to these plans.
- Device Purchase Required: No
- On Device Data: Unlimited for all 3 plans
- Mobile Hotspot / Tethering:
- Business Unlimited Starter - None
- Business Unlimited Performance - 30GB
- Business Unlimited Elite - 100GB
- Network Management / Throttling:
- Business Unlimited Starter - Always
- Business Unlimited Performance - 50GB
- Business Unlimited Elite - Never, has a higher network priority (more info*)
- International Roaming: Roaming in Canada & Mexico included in plans for talk, text and/or data
- Domestic Roaming: Yes - but may be at 2G speeds.
- Overage Charges: None
- Video Perks:
- business plans do not have added video service bundle perks
- Streaming Restrictions / Speeds:
- Business Unlimited Starter - 480p
- Business Unlimited Performance - 1080p (HD)
- Business Unlimited Elite - 4K
- Video Perks:
- Taxes & Fees: plan pricing does not include taxes and use fees
- Lines per account: 10
- Other Plan Perks: Access to AT&T's expanding 5G network is included with the Performance and Elite plans
Business Plan Requirements
Not just anyone can get a business plan. AT&T requires that you actually have a business account with AT&T. Setting up a business account can be done at any AT&T store or by calling the business sales division at 866-429-7222. This cannot be done online.
The only documentation required to set up a business account is a valid Federal Tax ID Number for the business (aka Employer Identification Number). Once the account is set up, you'll then be able to signup for a business plan.
Unlimited Elite - Higher Priority
One feature that makes the Elite plan unique is how data is prioritized with this plan. Normally, cellular plans have two priority levels - a higher priority until a certain amount of data is used, then a lower priority for the rest of the month. This is called "network management" and each plan will typically have a "network management threshold" that determines when data use changes to a lower priority.
But the business Elite plan works differently. First, there is no network management threshold - all data is at the same standard priority level while on AT&T's LTE network regardless of how much data you use. The consumer version of the Elite plan, by contrast, comes with a 100GB network management threshold. That's a lot, but having the Business Elite means you don't have to worry about de-prioritization at all, resulting in better performance on congested towers no matter how much data you've used.
Second, the Elite plan gets a feature called "AT&T Business Fast Track" that bumps up the network priority even further compared to standard plans, but only for eligible business data. This means that business data on the Elite plan will have higher network priority than all consumer-based plans and many business plans. Higher priority means better speed and performance, especially on busy cell towers.
The downside is that only business data gets this increased priority and AT&T tightly controls what counts as business data.
However, for a business customer - especially one working remotely full-time, it can be a huge benefit to have high priority data access for business tasks. This can allow you to get out an important email or transfer a critical document to a remote server while others can't even load a webpage.
But don't expect to be able to use this enhanced priority for video streaming or "fun" applications - customers must coordinate with AT&T to set up Fast Track for their business-data and AT&T specifically prohibits streaming applications.
Additionally, this higher Fast Track priority is only available on AT&T owned cellular towers and only for LTE and AT&T's advanced LTE network, which it calls 5G Evolution (and isn't actually 5G). Fast Track also does not apply to legacy 3G/4G HSPA+ and true 5G networks.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
- AT&T Extends Autopay Discount on its Prepaid Unlimited Plans Posted on: January 10, 2020
- ALERT: AT&T Pulling Togo & Airstream $360/year Unlimited Data Plans - Effective January 16th, 2020 Posted on: December 18, 2019
- AT&T's New Business Unlimited Starter, Performance & Elite Plans - With Up To 100GB of Hotspot Data Per Line Posted on: December 9, 2019
- 5G Rollout Update: AT&T's Confusing Consumer 5G Coming in December, Verizon At Last Publishes 5G Maps Posted on: November 25, 2019
- AT&T Launches Previously Teased 'Unlimited Elite' Plan Posted on: November 21, 2019
- AT&T Adds Ability to Tack-On 5GB of Mobile Hotspot for $10/month to Unlimited Prepaid Posted on: November 18, 2019
- AT&T Increases Prices and Data on Mobile Share Value Plans Again - 15GB for $10 on Most Plans Posted on: November 8, 2019
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Setting up a business account can be done at any AT&T store or by calling the business sales division at 866-429-7222. This cannot be done online.
Once you have set-up a business account, you can select your desired plans, here:
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.