Sample Mobile Internet Setup Explorer
Here you can explore some common mobile internet configurations, including some of the mobile internet setups of other RVers and cruisers.
Use the hover points to learn more about each component of a setup. And then browse the current featured options for each.
Remember - the sky (sometimes literally) is the limit in possibilities - so don't restrict yourself to just these samples.
A cellular antenna can help your cellular device get a better signal, and thus potentially better performance. They must plug into something with antenna ports - such as a router or hotspot device. They can also work with cellular boosters.Carrier
Cellular service comes from the local tower managed by your carrier. You'll need a data plan to subscribe to service.Hotspot
A mobile hotspot is a device that can convert a cell signal into data. It creates its own private wireless hotspot so your own devices can get online. Models tend to be carrier specific.
About This Setup
Consumer level mobile hotspots (also known as Jetpacks and MiFis) are easily obtainable direct from the carriers.
Combined with an antenna, they are a plug-and-play option that many rely on for their cellular data needs.
- Affordable - Flagship 4G/LTE models typically around $200-250, however 5G models can be in the $350-700 range.
- Plug-and-play - no advanced tech skills needed
- Hotspots create their own private Wi-Fi network, may not need additional gear like a router. Some even come with an Ethernet port to create a wired network.
- Many affordable antenna options available
- Battery powered portable solution you can take away from the RV/boat
- Easy to upgrade as new options come out or your needs change
- Consumer level gear - usually lacking advanced features
- Hotspots models tend to be optimized for a specific carrier, with only limited usability on another carrier
- Prone to battery swelling if left plugged in or under constant use
Those who like to keep it simple. A great option for getting started with cellular based mobile internet, and can even be a long term solution for even the most demanding of nomad.
Is Mobile Internet an Important Part of Your Lifestyle? Go Further with a MIA Membership
This resource center is brought to you by our premium members - our MIAs. We don't sell stuff, we're not sponsored and you won't find 3rd party advertising in our content.
Our focus is on bringing you unbiased educational content.
In thanks for their support, our members get additional in-depth content, reviews, guidance, discounts, alerts and more.
Featured Mobile Hotspots
Below are current flagship model hotspot devices for all of the carriers.
Review in Progress: Netgear Nighthawk M6/M6 Pro Mobile Hotspots MR6110/MR6400/MR6500 (Mobile Hotspot)
Antennas for Hotspots
Below are antennas with T-S9 antenna connectors, which are designed to fit with mobile hotspot devices. Keep in mind, you can also use any antenna with hotspots with an adapter as well. So don't restrict yourself to just these options.
Data Plans for Data Devices
Below are some top data plans that are specifically for data only devices that you might want to consider. Or shop all the plans we're tracking.