Smoothtalker has been around forever making cellular boosters (they claim to have released the first digital cellular booster in North America in 2001) - but they've been slow to transition to LTE and multi-band support.
In early 2017 Smoothtalker at last launched a full lineup of completely new "6 Band" LTE boosters - ranging from cradle boosters to RV / large vehicle boosters, to full-home residential and even large commercial systems.
Particularly interesting to RVers is Smoothtalker's Mobile RV X6 model.
- Model: Mobile RV X6 Pro
- Gain: 50dB
- # of Devices Boosted: Multiple
- LTE Bands Supported: 12 (17), 13, 5, 4, 2, 25
- Exterior Antenna: Magnetic mount with integrated 20' cable, other antenna options available. FME end.
- Internal Antenna: Patch antenna with integrated 7' cable, FME end.
- Range of Interior Coverage: Depends on external signal.
- In Motion Usage: Yes
- Power Supply: 12v (Optional 120V supply available)
- Warranty: 2 Year
- Retail Price: $500
Smoothtalker has a range of models available. Here is Smoothtalker's new lineup of mobile-suitable 6-Band LTE boosters for RVers:
- Mobile CX6 23dB Extreme Power Cradle/Coupling Boosters (23dB) - $280-330 - Comparable to the weBoost Drive Sleek, though it cost substantially more. Cradle boosters can be great if you only need to get a single device online with a boosted signal.
- Mobile X6 Extreme Power Wireless Booster (50dB) - $470-480 - Boasts a range of up to 30 miles from the nearest cell tower.
- Mobile Z6 Wireless Boosters (50dB) - $370 - Coverage up to 6 miles from the nearest cell tower.
- RV X6 Wireless Boosters (50dB) - $500 - This seems to be on paper comparable to the weBoost Drive X, one of our current top pick cellular boosters. This is the Smoothtalker booster with the most potential for RVers, and the one we have received for testing.
- RV Z6 Wireless Boosters (60dB) - $400 - Higher powered than regulated for mobile use, this is their version for RVs that are frequently stationary.
Smoothtalker also offers three 6-Band LTE marine boosters:
- Wave X6 Single User Small Vessel Extreme Power Cradle/Coupling Booster (23dB) - $330 - Marine kit with the CX6 booster and a 14" enclosed dual coil high gain antenna with thru-hole mount.
- Shark X6 Multi Use Medium Vessel Extreme Power Wireless Booster (50dB) - $540 - Marine kit with the Mobile X6 booster and an omni-directional tube wide-band antenna with pole mount bracket.
- Mariner X6 Multi User Large Vessel Extreme Power Wireless Booster (65dB) - $900 - Marine with with the Stealth X6 booster and an omni-directional tube wide-band antenna with pole mount bracket.
All the Smoothtalker boosters support a full 1W radiated output power, which they claim is more powerful than most competitive boosters - and should thus be most comparable to the weBoost Drive X as opposed to the weaker (and now discontinued) weBoost Drive 4G-M.
Smoothtalker also tells us that their boosters are "more sensitive to weak signals" and that they waited so long to come to market because they "didn't want to launch with something that they were not 100% confident in".
The flagship and most appropriate for RVers is the Mobile RV X6, and that is what we've focused on here.
Review & Testing Status
Smoothtalker sent us an evaluation unit of the Mobile RV X6 kit, which we have tested head-to-head in two field testing rounds.
- First in early 2017 against the weBoost Drive X, Max-Amp Mobile, and HiBoost Travel 4G LTE. Members can access our raw field testing results here: Cellular Signal Enhancing Field Testing Results (Q1 2017)
- In May 2017 we included it in a second around against the weBoost Drive X, Surecall Fusion2Go RV and Cel-Fi Go M. Members can access our raw field testing results here: Cellular Signal Enhancing Field Testing Results (2nd Quarter 2017)
Our detailed hands-on review and analysis of the Smoothtalker RV X6 is featured in our members-only section below, including a video overview focused on 'Optimizing Your Cellular Signal' showing all of the candidates in the early 2017 testing round in action head-to-head.
Here is our unboxing video of the SmoothTalker just after it arrived:
Our deeper analysis and impressions are in our members-only section below.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other booster options on the market worth comparing this model to - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Here are some places to find the Smoothtalker line of boosters for sale:
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about the complicated topic of signal enhancing and utilizing cellular boosters.