AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone) is AT&T's own prepaid brand and can be obtained directly from the carrier or at select retailers. They offer different monthly smartphone plans, or a pay as you go daily option, as well as data-only hotspot & tablet plans.
Currently Available Plans:
- Phone Plans:
- Tablet / Hotspot Plans:
- 2GB, 5GB, 8GB (Hotspot OK)
Tablet Prepaid Unlimited Plan
AT&T also offers a prepaid unlimited tablet plans for $29.99 with autopay (or $35 on a month-to-month as needed basis). The plans are subject to network management after 22GB of usage, and do not include any mobile hotspot use. A great option if your needs can be met with a tablet.
These plans are specifically meant for cellular enabled tablets, however many report the SIM card works just fine in an AT&T compatible hotspot device or router. This is a violation of terms of service that could be enforced in the future, but at present time is not. You will find some vendors, particularly on eBay, that will set one of these lines up for you using a spoofed tablet IMEI number - and then you take over the payments directly with AT&T. There's no telling how these plans might endure in the future.
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
We do not keep a prepaid AT&T plan in our testing arsenal.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T
- Carrier Relation: Direct prepaid
- Plan Types Available: Phone, Tablet, Hotspot
- Device Types Permitted: Phones, Tablets, Hotspots
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Phone Plans:
- Capped Data Plans: Yes - all
- Unlimited ($65): None
- Unlimited + Hotspot ($85): 10GB Hotspot Data
- Hotspot Plans: Yes, all data (these area all capped plans)
- Tablet Plan: No, however many folks take the SIM card out of a tablet once activated and successfully utilize it in a hotspot device (this is very much against AT&T's terms of service.)
- Phone Plans:
- Throttling: Plans experience full network speeds until the data cap (if any) is reached. Speeds are then throttled to 128kbps for the remainder of the month.
- Network Management: Unlimited Phone Plan ($65) (w/o hotspot feature) is always subject. All other plans are subject at 22GB.
- International Roaming: All plans except the 1GB option include unlimited voice, text & full allotment of on-device data in Mexico & Canada. AT&T may cancel your plan for using more than 50% of this service outside the US. The 10GB of hotspot data for the +hotspot unlimited plan is restricted to the US only.
- Domestic Roaming: (unconfirmed) - AT&T Prepaid seems to include domestic roaming, and likely has similar limits to postpaid accounts.
- Plan Period: 30 days
- Data Roll Over: Unused data on tiered plans rolls over to the next month, as long as the account is kept active.
- Overage Charges: None
- Additional high-speed data can be purchased for capped plans by the MB or GB
- Streaming: All plans come with Stream Saver (SD) which can be turned off to experience full HD video. The cheaper unlimited plan is always kept at SD.
- Unlimited: Yes - two tiers available
- $65 Plan: No mobile hotspot use, always network managed
- $85 Plan: 10GB mobile hotspot use, network management at 22GB
- Device Lock/Unlock Policy: AT&T Prepaid devices are eligible for unlocking after 6 months of active service.
- AT&T Rebrands GoPhone to AT&T PREPAID - Offers 'Two Months Free' Promo Posted on: July 12, 2017
A Full Review of this Product is Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to the in-depth unbiased review of this product based on our extensive hands-on time and testing.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
Unlimited Tablet Plans:
The tablet unlimited plan however can only be activated from your tablet, not online or in stores.
- For iPads use this link: att.com/ipadlanding
- For other tablet models: https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Common/ShopRatePlans.action