Dish Network has long been a provider of satellite service, and in 2020 started its foray into the cellular world as Dish Wireless.
Dish Wireless is stepping in to replace Sprint as the fourth big cellular provider, after Sprint's merger with T-Mobile in 2020.
As part of that merger, Dish purchased Boost Mobile, Sprint's prepaid subsidiary, and two Sprint MVNOs - Ting Mobile in 2020 and Republic Wireless in 2021.
Dish Wireless first rolled out its own cellular service under the name Project Genesis in 2022 and then launched Boost Infinite in late 2022.
In August 2023, Dish notified Republic customers that they will be switched to Boost Infinite, and Republic will be shut down.
Dish's first foray into selling plans launched in May 2022 under the name Project Genesis, offering service in Las Vegas, NV.
As of mid 2023, they have coverage of approximately 70% of the US population.
Dish is bragging that it is launching the "First True 5G" native network in the nation, and headed out the gate with some extremely aggressive pricing on unlimited data plans.
Initially Project Genesis offered a phone and mobile hotpsot plan. The mobile hotspot plan is no longer available for new customers, but existing customers are grandfathered.
Because of the technology being employed, customers must use Project Genesis devices. There is currently no BYOD option, you must purchase a device from them.
In August 2022, Dish announced "Boost Infinite," which will be their primary postpaid brand going forward, and they released their first plan in late 2022.
As Dish/Boost is still building out their 5G network, they are utilizing roaming agreements with AT&T and T-Mobile, so Dish plans currently primarily operate on those two networks.
Some customers are provided a "Rainbow SIM" which can access all three networks - Dish, AT&T, and T-Mobile. In order to be eligible to receive a Rainbow SIM, customers must have a device that is optimized for the Dish Network and be in a location where it is available. As of summer 2023, Dish Network is proactively contacting customers who meet this criteria to provide them with a Rainbow SIM, it is not something you can request.
Unlike Project Genesis, customers can bring their own device to Boost Infinite.
Currently Available Plans
- Smartphone Plan - $25/month **Top Pick**
- Infinite Access for iPhone - $60/month
- Infinite Unlimited Smartphone Plan - $25/month
- Infinite Unlimited+ Smartphone Plan - $50/month
- Carrier Networks Used: Dish Wireless, T-Mobile, AT&T
- Carrier Relationship: Direct, Partnerships with T-Mobile and AT&T
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone
- Device Types Permitted: Smartphone
- Unlimited: Yes
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Project Genesis: Unlimited
- Boost Infinite Plans: None, but can add 30GB for $10/month
- Throttling: No
- Network Management:
- Project Genesis: Not specified
- Boost Infinite Plans: 30GB, or 40GB for an additional $10/month
- Video Streaming Resolution: Not specified
- 5G Access: Yes
- eSIM: Yes
- Device Purchase Required:
- Project Genesis: Yes
- Boost Infinite: No
- Plan Period: 30 days
- International Roaming:
- Project Genesis: Not specified
- Infinite Unlimited: Can be added for $10/month-5GB/month in Canada/Mexico; $10/month-talk/text to 200+ countries
- Infinite Unlimited+: 5GB/month in Canada/Mexico; talk/text to 200+ countries
- Domestic Roaming: Yes. Undisclosed, but likely on the AT&T and T-Mobile networks (until 2027).
- Data Rollover: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Lines permitted per account: Up to 5
- Extra: Project Genesis app, for the PG Smartphone plan only
News, Videos, & Status
Initially Project Genesis offered both smartphone and mobile hotpsot plans. Mobile hotspots are no longer available for new customers.
We purchased the Project Genesis Nighthawk MR6400 M6 Pro hotspot device with an unlimited data plan and tested it nationwide.
Our MIAs can view our testing notes:
- Testing: Project Genesis by Dish Wireless Unlimited Hotspot / M6 Pro MR6400 (Carrier / Mobile Hotspot)
Related News Stories
- Dish Project Genesis Abruptly Ends $20/Month Mobile Hotspot Option Posted on: June 2, 2023
- Dish Wireless Announces Boost Infinite Posted on: August 5, 2022
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Purchasing Links & Disclaimer
We don't sell stuff, we are primarily member funded. Some links below may be affiliate links (see our disclaimer), which also helps fund MIRC.
The vendors displayed below provide larger discounts to our MIAs that we have negotiated instead of displaying affiliate links while they are logged in.
MIA Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our Mobile Internet Aficionados (MIA) get special discounts from the below vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. With savings up to 11% off, you could save more than your membership cost!
Boost Infinite SIMs can also be purchased on Amazon, but you must be an Amazon Prime member.
Amazon (affiliate link)
Shopping for Cellular Data Plans
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Here's our video going over ways to get LOTS of data for use in your travels:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. You also need the right gear, signal enhancing strategy and planning your travels around the options you carry with you. Head on over to our collection of guides:
Top Data Plan Picks
Our constantly updated list of the BEST data plans.
Which Carrier is Best?
Is Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Dish best for your travels?
Selecting Data Plans
Our deep dive into understanding data plans and shopping for them.
Data Plan Pricing Grid
Our always updated spreadsheet comparing all data plans suitable for mobile internet.
Getting LOTS of the Data
Learn how to get lots of cellular data in your mobile internet arsenal.