As of Feb. 12, 2020, AT&T pulled this plan from its website and it is no longer offered or available. This plan is officially retired, but the plan has been grandfathered for existing customers who adhere to the plan terms of service for use in tablets, which prohibit use in unauthorized devices like hotspots and routers.
This plan has been replaced by AT&T with a 25GB plan for $34.99/mo. More info on this plan is available here.
AT&T Prepaid is AT&T's own prepaid brand. For several years, they offered an unlimited tablet based plan that was of interest to nomads seeking unlimited data on a tablet device.
Tablet DataConnect Prepaid Unlimited Plan
The plan was a session-based prepaid plan designed for tablets, cellular-enabled cameras, and gaming devices. It was first released in 2010 with the launch of the cellular iPad, and quickly retired (but customers were grandfathered in as long as they continued to renew).
AT&T brought the plan back in June 2017 and made it available to all tablet devices. Later, cellular-enabled cameras and gaming devices were added as options, but tablets remain the most useful device for this plan.
The plan price was increased by $5/month in May 2019 and currently costs $40/month ($34.99 with auto-renew).
Many were using this plan on routers and hotspot devices, and since the retirement of the plan AT&T has continued to terminate accounts doing so.
In February 2020, AT&T officially retired the plan - grandfathering in those who utilize the plan as intended:
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
We do not keep an AT&T Unlimited Tablet Plan in our testing arsenal.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T
- Carrier Relation: Direct prepaid
- Plan Types Available: Tablet
- Device Types Permitted: Tablets, Cameras, Gaming Devices, Wearables.
- Use of SIM in a dedicated hotspot device is against AT&T's terms of service, but also not currently enforced
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Mobile Hotspot Use: No mobile hotspot use. However, many folks take the SIM card out of a tablet once activated and successfully utilize it in a hotspot device (this is very much against AT&T's terms of service.)
- Throttling: None
- Network Management: At 22GB
- International Roaming: US-only, but international data add-ons are available for some session-based plans (at an extra cost).
- Domestic Roaming: (unconfirmed) - AT&T Prepaid seems to include domestic roaming, and likely has similar limits to postpaid accounts.
- Plan Period: 30 days
- Data Roll Over: N/A
- Overage Charges: None
- Streaming: None - and stream saver not included (or needed).
- Unlimited Data: Yes
- AT&T Releases New Prepaid $34.99/mo Tablet Plan - But It's Not Unlimited Posted on: February 28, 2020
- AT&T Confirms Grandfathering of $34.99/Month Prepaid Tablet Plan Posted on: February 20, 2020
- AT&T Pulls Prepaid DataConnect $34.99/Month Unlimited Tablet Plan Posted on: February 13, 2020
- AT&T Increases Prepaid DataConnect Unlimited Tablet Plan by $5/month Posted on: April 18, 2019
- AT&T Brings Back Unlimited Tablet Plan for $29.99/month Posted on: June 6, 2017
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
No longer available, current tiered data options can be activated with these links:
- For iPads use this link: att.com/ipadlanding
- For other tablet models and compatible devices: https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Common/ShopRatePlans.action
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.