The Netgear Nighthawk was announced in October 2017 and became AT&T's flagship LTE mobile hotspot. In mid-2020 the Nighthawk also became available unlocked direct from Netgear and third-party vendors.
In September 2020, Netgear released its 5G capable flagship mobile hotspot - the Netgear Nighthawk 5G Pro (M5) - but at a huge jump in price. But the Nighthawk MR1100 remains a flagship LTE Hotspot device, and a top pick for those who don't need a 5G capable device.
The MR1100 comes with many great features, including an integrated ethernet port, which makes it easy to use the Nighthawk paired with any traditional router. This is in addition to the ability to connect via USB tethering or Wi-Fi, like most mobile hotspot devices.
- Model Number: Netgear Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router (MR1100)
- # of Connected Devices: 20 Wi-Fi / Supports USB Tethering & Ethernet
- Control Panel and Default Password:
Control Panel: http://192.168.1.1 or http://attwifimanager/
Default Password: "attadmin"
- USB Tethering Support:
WiFiRanger Tethering: Works Great
Pepwave Tethering: Works Great
- Supported Networks and Bands:
4G/LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12(17), 14, 29, 30, 46, 66
3G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz
2G: GSM EDGE: No
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes, 4-band
- MIMO Support: 4X4 internal, 2x2 External
- LTE Performance Category: Category 16
(Max Theoretical Speed: 1,000Mbps Down / 150Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: 2x TS9 External Antenna Ports
- Other Ports: Ethernet, USB-A, USB-C, micro-SD (internal slot)
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n/a/ac - Simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Dimensions: 4.14" x 4.14" x 0.75" / 8.5 oz
- SIM Card Type: Micro
- Retail Price: $249.99 (branded for AT&T) / $349.99 (unlocked from Netgear)
News, Videos, & Status
We first purchased a Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 as soon as it was available at a local AT&T store in November 2017, and have been using it extensively since. In particular - we have put it head-to-head with the AT&T Nighthawk 5G, Unite Explore and Unite Pro, and other devices in a variety of circumstances. Our review and conclusions are based on this extended testing experience.
Our raw field testing results are available to our members:
- Cellular Signal & Embedded Router Field Testing – IBR900 | MAX-BR1 | Drive Sleek | MIMO Antennas (1st Quarter 2018)
- Cellular Equipment Field Testing Results – Netgear LTE Modem / USB730 / Nighthawk
- AT&T Netgear Nighthawk 5G Hotspot Pro Testing (MR1100 Testing Included)
- Netgear Orbi 4G LTE Advanced Router (MR1100 Testing Included)
Here is our unboxing video and first impressions of the Netgear Nighthawk, filmed in November 2017:
Our more in-depth hands-on take on the Nighthawk is available to our members below.
- AT&T Rolls Out New Firmware Verison NTG9X50C_12.06.39.00_ATT_06.14 The Netgear MR1100 Nighthawk Posted on: July 6, 2021
- New Firmware Version NTG9X50C_12.06.21.00 Rolled Out for AT&T Netgear Nighthawk Posted on: March 2, 2021
- First AT&T 5G Mobile Hotspot Available for Consumers - Netgear Nighthawk 5G Mobile Hotspot Pro Posted on: September 16, 2020
- AT&T Releases Minor Firmware Update 12.05.05.14 for Netgear Nighthawk (MR1100) Posted on: February 13, 2020
- Netgear Announces 5G Flagship - Nighthawk M5 Mobile Hotspot (MR5200) Posted on: January 10, 2020
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Member Content Included Below:
- Thoughts & Analysis
- Favorite Features
- Potential Downsides
- Deep Dive
- Features Explained:
- Gigabit LTE (Cat 16)
- Nighthawk Versions and LTE Band-14
- Internal 4x4 MIMO and Dual Antenna Ports
- Ports and Connection Options
- Battery Not Required
- Arlo Base Station Support
- User Interface
- Alternatives & Comparisons
- Video Overview & Tutorial
- Recommended Settings
- Concluding Thoughts
- Features Explained:
- Thoughts & Analysis
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier, and we do not endorse any specific vendor. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
- Direct from AT&T (requires AT&T plan)
- Direct from Netgear (carrier unlocked)
- Mr. Aberthon (MIA Discount)
- Amazon: AT&T Locked - New / AT&T Locked - Renewed / Unlocked Version
Battery Replacement Purchase:
Mobile hotspot devices are small, self-contained units that receive a cellular data signal and transform it into an internet connection. They are a cellular modem and router combined. Most can create their own personal Wi-Fi network.
They are typically designed with a specific cellular carrier in mind and require a suitable cellular data plan of their own to operate. You might see them called Jetpacks (Verizon's term for them) or MiFi (Inseego's name for them).
Here's a quick video going over the features of a hotspot, and what makes one better than another:
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.