Netgear rolled out a preview of their next-generation 5G mobile hotspot at the January 2020 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). The M5 is a follow-up to 2019's Nighthawk 5G on AT&T. It is slated to be released in the second half of 2020.
So far, details are scarce and no specific cellular carrier support has been announced, but historically Netgear has made the flagship mobile hotspot devices for AT&T.
What we do know is that the M5 will be a 4G/5G router with Wi-Fi 6 with a two-way Ethernet port. The M5 will use a Qualcomm X55 modem, which can handle all of the different forms of 5G US carriers have to offer.
- Model: Netgear MR5200
- # of Connected Devices: Up to 20
- Control Panel and Default Password:
- USB Tethering Support: Advertised but not confirmed through USB 3.1 Gen 2 port
- Supported Networks and Bands:
5G: 5GNR and Sub 6 GHz
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes
- MIMO Support: 4x4 MIMO
- LTE Performance Category: 22
- Cellular Antenna Ports: 2x TS-9 antenna ports (based on photographs of pre-release unit, not confirmed)
- Other Ports: Gigabit Ethernet
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11ax (WiFi6), 2x2 MIMO and 2.4/5GHz Standalone
- Claimed Battery Life:
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery:
- Dimensions: 4.14in x 4.14in x .85in
- SIM Card Type:
- Retail Price: Not yet known
Review & Testing Status
We may eventually obtain a unit to test.
Related News Stories:
- Netgear Announces 5G Flagship - Nighthawk M5 Mobile Hotspot (MR5200) Posted on: January 10, 2020
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
Related Articles & Videos
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Not yet released.
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.