The Netgear Nighthawk 5G Mobile Hotspot Pro is AT&T's first widely available mobile hotspot supporting 5G technology. It became AT&T's flagship mobile hotspot when it was released on September 18th, 2020 (our news story).
This mobile hotspot has two known versions:
- Model # MR5100: The AT&T exclusive Version called the "Netgear Nighthawk 5G Mobile Hotspot Pro" - released on Sept 18th, 2020
- Model # MR5200: The International/Global Version - not yet released.
The 5G Pro is of course also fully 4G/LTE compatible, featuring an extremely capable category-22 modem.
- Model: Netgear MR5100 (MR5200 for international version)
- # of Connected Devices: Up to 32 via Wi-Fi
- Control Panel and Default Password:
Control Panel: http://attwifimanager or http://192.168.1.1
Default Password: admin
- USB Tethering Support: Yes
- Supported Networks and Bands:
Sub-6GHz 5G: n2, n5, n66
mmWave 5G: n260
4G/LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 14, 17, 29, 30, 46, 66
3G: UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 MHz
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes, 7-band
- MIMO Support: 4x4 MIMO Sub6 5G and LTE, 2x2 MIMO mmWave 5G
- LTE Performance Category: Category 22
- Cellular Antenna Ports: 2x TS-9
- Other Ports: Gigabit Ethernet
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies:Wi-Fi 6 - 802.11 a/ac/b/g/n/ax - 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Battery: 5040mAh (Removable)
- Claimed Battery Life: 8 hours usage, 11.3 days standby
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: Yes
- Battery Part #:
- Battery Purchase:
- Dimensions: 4.14in x 4.14in x 0.85in
- SIM Card Type: Nano
- Retail Price: $509.99
News, Videos, and Status
Netgear sent us an evaluation unit in early October 2020. Our deep dive of this option has been updated in the member area below, and MIAs can also follow along with testing data and notes:
- In Progress Testing Forum: AT&T Netgear Nighthawk 5G Hotspot Pro (5G Mobile Hotspot)
January 2020 Announcement Video
From our story when this hotspot was first previewed at CES, in January 2020.
A Tale of Two Hotspots
Comparing and Contrasting the AT&T Nighthawk 5G Pro with the Verizon M2100 UW, which both use the same Snapdragon x55 chipset:
- AT&T To Add 5G Access to Some Legacy Postpaid Unlimited Plans Posted on: March 15, 2021
- Verizon Goes Big in C-Band Auction - Investing Billions in 5G Spectrum Posted on: March 1, 2021
- Verizon Prepaid Adds 5G Ultra Wideband Unlimited Smartphone Plan for $70/month Posted on: January 20, 2021
- Coverage? App Now Includes Maps for 5G, Canadian Carriers and U.S. Cellular Posted on: December 18, 2020
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Member Content Below:
- Thoughts & Analysis
- Deep Dive
- 5G Assessment
- Performance Comparison
- Wi-Fi 6
- Getting AT&T 5G & Device
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier, and we do not endorse any specific vendor. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
Mobile hotspot devices are small, self-contained units that receive a cellular data signal and transform it into an internet connection. They are a cellular modem and router combined. Most can create their own personal Wi-Fi network.
They are typically designed with a specific cellular carrier in mind and require a suitable cellular data plan of their own to operate. You might see them called Jetpacks (Verizon's term for them) or MiFi (Inseego's name for them).
Here's a quick video going over the features of a hotspot, and what makes one better than another:
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.