The Orbic Speed 5G UW, released March 3, 2022, is exclusive to Verizon.
This mobile hotspot includes support for all of Verizon's LTE and 5G cellular bands including low-band, mid-band, and millimeter-wave 5G.
- Model Number: R500L5
- # of Connected Devices: Up to 30
- Control Panel and Default Password: Not Specified
- USB Tethering Support: Yes
- Modem Chipset: Qualcomm X55
- Supported Networks and Bands:
5G Sub-6 Bands: n2, n5, n48, n66, n77, n78
5G mmWave Bands: n260, n261
4G/LTE: 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 48, 66
WCDMA: II, IV, V
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes (not specified)
- MIMO Support: Not Specified (likely 4x4 internal)
- LTE Performance Category: Not specified (likely 20+)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: None
- Other Ports: Ethernet
- Wi-Fi Standard: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) - Simultaneous 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz
- Battery: 4,400 mAh
- Claimed Battery Life: Up to 12 hours
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: No
- Battery Part #: BTE-4401
- Battery Purchase:
- Dimensions: 4.92 x 3.35 x 0.87 inches / 9.91oz
- SIM Card Type: Nano
- Retail Price: $299
News, Videos, & Status
We purchased an Orbic Speed 5G directly from Verizon paired with a 5G postpaid connected device plan for testing.
Our MIAs can follow along with our testing:
- Testing In Progress Forum Thread: Orbic Speed 5G (Cellular Mobile Hotspot)
Related News Stories:
- Netgear Releases Unlocked Nighthawk M6 MR6150 5G Mobile Hotspot Posted on: October 4, 2022
- Coverage? App Update - Integrated SpeedTest by Ookla, Updated 5G Layers, 3G & Sprint Removed Posted on: September 23, 2022
- A New Fourth Carrier: Dish's Project Genesis Expands to 120+ Cities, Offers Unlimited Hotspot Plan Posted on: June 16, 2022
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer). We request vendors give our members bigger discounts instead of giving us affiliate kickbacks.
Member Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our MIAs get special discounts from these vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. Some vendors offer up to 10% off - you could save more than the cost of your membership on major purchases.
Mobile hotspot devices are small, self-contained units that receive a cellular data signal and transform it into an internet connection. They are a cellular modem and router combined. Most can create their own personal Wi-Fi network.
They are typically designed with a specific cellular carrier in mind and require a suitable cellular data plan of their own to operate. You might see them called Jetpacks (Verizon's term for them) or MiFi (Inseego's name for them).
Here's a quick video going over the features of a hotspot, and what makes one better than another:
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.