The Orbic Speed 5G UW, released March 3, 2022, is exclusive to Verizon.
This mobile hotspot includes support for all of Verizon's LTE and 5G cellular bands including low-band, mid-band, and millimeter-wave 5G.
- Model Number: R500L5
- # of Connected Devices: Up to 30
- Control Panel and Default Password:
- pw: on Help Screen on device
- USB Tethering Support: Yes
- Modem Chipset: Qualcomm X55
- Supported Networks and Bands:
5G Sub-6 Bands: n2, n5, n48, n66, n77, n78
5G mmWave Bands: n260, n261
4G/LTE: 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 48, 66
WCDMA: II, IV, V
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes (not specified)
- MIMO Support: Not Specified (likely 4x4 internal)
- LTE Performance Category: Not specified (likely 20+)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: None
- Other Ports: Ethernet
- Wi-Fi Standard: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)
- Battery: 4,400 mAh
- Claimed Battery Life: Up to 12 hours
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: No
- Battery Part #: BTE-4401
- Battery Purchase: Orbic
- Dimensions: 4.92 x 3.35 x 0.87 inches / 9.91oz
- SIM Card Type: Nano
- Retail Price: $299.99
News, Videos, & Status
We purchased an Orbic Speed 5G directly from Verizon paired with a 5G postpaid connected device plan for testing.
Our MIAs can follow along with our testing:
- Testing In Progress Forum Thread: Orbic Speed 5G (Cellular Mobile Hotspot)
Related News Stories:
- Netgear Releases Unlocked, All-Carrier Nighthawk M6 Pro 5G Mobile Hotspot Posted on: May 10, 2023
- Calyx Institute Offers Inseego MiFi X Pro with Sustainer Membership Posted on: March 13, 2023
- The Franklin A50 - A New 5G Mobile Hotspot For AT&T Posted on: February 24, 2023
- Insty Connect Offering X62 5G Modems - A First For Mobile Routers Posted on: January 27, 2023
- New JEXtream RG2100 5G Mobile Hotspot Available at Metro by T-Mobile Posted on: January 3, 2023
Alternatives to Consider
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Purchasing Links & Disclaimer
We don't sell stuff, we are primarily member funded. Some links below may be affiliate links (see our disclaimer), which also helps fund MIRC.
The vendors displayed below provide larger discounts to our MIAs that we have negotiated instead of displaying affiliate links while they are logged in.
MIA Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our Mobile Internet Aficionados (MIA) get special discounts from the below vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. With savings up to 11% off, you could save more than your membership cost!
Mobile hotspot devices are small, self-contained units that receive a cellular data signal and transform it into an internet connection. They are a cellular modem and router combined. Most can create their own personal Wi-Fi network.
They are typically designed with a specific cellular carrier in mind and require a suitable cellular data plan of their own to operate. You might see them called Jetpacks (Verizon's term for them) or MiFi (Inseego's name for them).
Here's a quick video going over the features of a hotspot, and what makes one better than another:
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.