Currently, T-Mobile offers several postpaid plan options. This guide focuses on the Global Plus 15GB add-on for smartphones option - a Top Pick plan add-on for mobile data seekers.
For info on all of T-Mobile's direct postpaid options, see our guide:
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
T-Mobile Magenta Global Plus 15GB
These Magenta based plans are eligible for a sweet little add-on, called Global Plus 15GB AMP UP.
Global Plus 15GB AMP UP adds 15GB of high speed international plan use, with 5GB of data use in Canada/Mexico and 15GB of high speed international use (5GB of international hotspot data use).
Most alluring, is that while in the US, the plan includes unlimited high speed mobile hotspot use.
Policies & Perks
- Carrier Networks Used: T-Mobile
- Carrier Relationship: Direct
- Plan Types Available: Phone (unlimited talk/text)
- Devices Permitted: Phone
- Device Purchase Required: No
- Mobile Hotspot / Tethering: Unlimited 4G/LTE high-speed mobile hotspot use while in the US. On-device data speeds are prioritized over mobile hotspot speeds, so on congested towers there may be a noticeable performance hit for mobile hotspot. T-Mobile also requires that at least 50% of your data usage needs to be on device, not hotspot data.
- Network Management / Throttling: Plan customers who are in the top 3% of heaviest users on T-Mobile (currently those using 50GB/mo) are subject to network management once they have crossed this monthly threshold, which means that their ongoing usage will be slowed down relative to other T-Mobile customers - but only when towers are congested.
- International Roaming: 15GB high-speed data on device while roaming in a Simple Global country (only 5GB in Canada/Mexico) and 5GB of high-speed tethering usage in Simple Global countries. Additional features include unlimited HD video streaming around the world, and unlimited in-flight Wi-Fi.
- Domestic Roaming: After 200mb of domestic roaming data usage, T-Mobile cuts off roaming network usage until your next billing cycle, or until you're back in a native area on all plans.
- Data Roll Over: N/A
- Overage Charges: None
- Video Perks:
- accounts with at least two lines are provided a free basic Netflix account.
- Streaming Restrictions:
- full HD (1080p) resolution video streaming.
- includes 1080p video streaming around the world.
- Video Perks:
- Taxes & Fees: plans are flat priced and inclusive of taxes & fees.
- Other Plan Perks:
On August 10, 2018 rolled out the Essentials plan, and increased the price & hotspot use of ONE+. They also snuck in the retirement of ONE+ International.
Those who had ONE+International or ONE+ active as of 8/9/2018 are now grandfathered in under these terms:
- ONE+ International (+$25/month on top of One): Unlimited 4G mobile hotspot use and not subject to the Canada/Mexico 5GB/mo cap. However, the carrier reserves the right to de-prioritize mobile hotspot use under on device use, and high data users who are primarily using the plan for tethering may be contacted by the carrier to discuss options (this seems to be an issue if you consistently consume more than 50GB of total data per month and over 50% of your usage is mobile hotspot). International use beyond North America is at 256k speeds, with $5 day passes available for high-speed use.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
- T-Mobile Introduces Essentials Unlimited 55+ Plan - Offering 3 Tiers of Senior Plans Posted on: September 6, 2019
- T-Mobile Announces Updated Test Drive Offer: 30GB/30Days of Data on a Coolpad Surf Posted on: August 28, 2019
- US Mobile Makes Changes to Pricing Structure on Unlimited Plans Posted on: August 23, 2019
- T-Mobile / Sprint Merger Receives Critical Department of Justice Approval Posted on: July 26, 2019
- Mint Mobile Offers Free 8GB Data Plan for a Year Posted on: July 23, 2019
More Information Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to any further notes, analysis, insider info, member experiences and/or our full in-depth review of this product or offering.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.