Peplink is a large and well respected company in the mobile networking space - primarily focused on high end applications covering everything from providing cellular connectivity to fleets of vehicles to enabling whole-building network installations for hotels and offices.
While Peplink's Pepwave routers are not specifically designed with individual mobile users in mind, they do offer solid and well supported products that many mobile uses have grown to rely on.
In particular, the Pepwave Surf SOHO (Small Office / Home Office) is a capable router with four downstream gigabit ethernet ports, an ethernet WAN port, and great support for tethering cellular modems and hotspots over USB.
This potent combination of features makes the Pepwave Surf SOHO very well suited to be the hub of a mobile network - and we consider it to be a worthy Top Pick.
Specifications - Pepwave Surf SOHO (Rev 3)
- Wi-Fi Router: Yes - Simultaneous Dual Band
- Cellular Tethering via USB: Yes - Most USB modems, hotspots and Android devices supported.
- Integrated Cellular Modem: No
- Ethernet Ports: 4x 1,000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet LAN, 1x Gigabit WAN
- Special Features: Data Usage Tracking, Auto Failover
- Power Source: 10V - 24V DC Input, 110V AC Adapter Included
- Dimensions: 9.17" x 5.6" x 1.18"
- Outdoor Rated: No
- Retail Price: $199
Other Models & Variations
This is the third version of the Pepwave Surf SOHO, and the most significant change to the product line yet.
The original first generation version of the Surf SOHO was essentially identical to the second, with the only significant difference being that it had 100Mbps fast ethernet ports rather than 1,000Mbps gigabit ethernet ports, which were added in a quiet product refresh in early 2015.
TIP: You can recognize the third generation SOHO because it has three antenna jacks on the back, rather than two.
Table of Contents
Member Exclusive Content / Review:
- Thoughts & Analysis
- Hands on Testing
- In-depth Video Tutorial
- Purchasing Options
Review & Testing Status
Peplink sent us a review unit of the new 8021.11ac version of the Surf SOHO for evaluation in late 2016.
We have had the Surf SOHO in active head-to-head testing against several other competitors since the beginning of 2017 - and we have even made it our primary mobile router for weeks on end to stress test it.
We share our more detailed analysis, hands-on thoughts, and an in-depth video guide with our members below.
And members can view our ongoing field testing and range results here:
Here is our quick unboxing video and first impressions of the 802.11ac Pepwave Surf SOHO after we received it:
Our deeper analysis, impressions, and video guide are in our members-only section.
A Full Review of this Product is Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to the in-depth unbiased review of this product based on our extensive hands-on time and testing.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
NOTE: Do be careful when shopping that you get the new 802.11ac capable version of the SURF SOHO, and not the older model which is lacking in this key feature.
Related News Center Articles
- High End Update: Cradlepoint Goes Gigabit LTE & Peplink Pioneers Roof-Mounted Cellular With Indoor SIM Cards Posted on: January 28, 2019
- 2017 Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2018 Posted on: December 30, 2017
- Long Awaited Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 at Last Released! Posted on: November 27, 2017
- Breaking News: Major Wi-Fi Security Vulnerability Revealed, Mobile Routers & Devices Impacted Posted on: October 16, 2017
- Peplink Embraces LTE-A at Last, but Basic MAX BR1 Update Seemingly Delayed Posted on: March 22, 2017