Peplink is a large and well respected company in the mobile networking space - primarily focused on high end applications covering everything from providing cellular connectivity to fleets of vehicles to enabling whole-building network installations for hotels and offices.
But Peplink has not forgotten about individual consumers, and some of the lower end offerings in the product line are very well suited to the RV market.
In particular, the Pepwave Surf SOHO (Small Office / Home Office) is very well suited to be the hub of an RV's network.
The Surf SOHO is a WiFi-as-WAN capable router with four downstream ethernet ports, an ethernet WAN port, and great support for tethering cellular modems and hotspots over USB.
SUMMER 2016 ALERT: This version of the Pepwave Surf SOHO has sold out essentially everywhere online, and Peplink has put out a teaser website sharing details about a new version "coming this fall".
This entry in our review center is for the old version - for our deep look at and full review of the third generation Surf SOHO, click here.
Specifications - Pepwave Surf SOHO (Rev 2, Early 2015)
- Wi-Fi Router: Yes - Selectable Dual Band (Only One Band Active)
- 2.4GHz Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n - 300Mbps Max (2x2 MIMO)
- 5GHz Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/n - 300Mbps Max (2x2 MIMO)
- Wi-Fi Antenna: Internal, or External via 2x RP-SMA/Female Antenna Port
- Wi-Fi as WAN: Yes
- Guest Wi-Fi Network: Yes
- Cellular Tethering via USB: Yes - Most USB modems & hotspots supported.
- Integrated Cellular Modem: No
- Ethernet Ports: 4x 1,000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet LAN, 1x Gigabit WAN
- Special Features: Data Usage Tracking, Auto Faillover
- Power Source: 10V - 24V DC Input, 110V AC Adapter Included
- Dimensions: 9.5" x 4.6" x 1.5"
- Outdoor Rated: No
- Retail Price: $179
Other Models & Variations
The original version of the Surf SOHO was essentially identical to this one, with the only significant difference being that it had 100Mbps fast ethernet ports rather than 1,000Mbps gigabit ethernet ports, which were added in a quiet product refresh in early 2015.
A new third version of the Pepwave Surf SOHO is due "Fall 2016", and will feature a major upgrade to 802.11ac and simultaneous dual-band Wi-Fi. This new version is featured in our review center here.
We have had the Pepwave Surf SOHO as part of our testing arsenal for years, and have found it to be a solid performer.
We share some more detailed analysis and hands-on thoughts with our members below.
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
NOTE: This older version of the Surf SOHO is essentially sold out everywhere online, and is very hard to find.
For our deep look at and full review of the new third generation Surf SOHO, click here.
Related News Center Articles
- Breaking News: Major Wi-Fi Security Vulnerability Revealed, Mobile Routers & Devices Impacted Posted on: October 16, 2017
- Peplink Embraces LTE-A at Last, but Basic MAX BR1 Update Seemingly Delayed Posted on: March 22, 2017
- 2016 RV Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2017 Posted on: January 6, 2017
- Pepwave Launches Next Generation Surf SOHO, MAX BR1 Mini Posted on: November 25, 2016
- Cradlepoint Embraces LTE-Advanced, Multi-Carrier Radios Posted on: June 1, 2016
Pepwave Surf SOHO
Peplink's feature-packed small office / home office mobile router.