Peplink is a large and well respected company in the mobile networking space - primarily focused on high end applications covering everything from providing cellular connectivity to fleets of vehicles to enabling whole-building network installations for hotels and offices.
While Peplink's Pepwave routers are not specifically designed with individual mobile users in mind, they do offer solid and well supported products that many mobile uses have grown to rely on.
In particular, the Pepwave Surf SOHO (Small Office / Home Office) is a capable router with four downstream gigabit ethernet ports, an ethernet WAN port, and great support for tethering cellular modems and hotspots over USB.
This potent combination of features makes the Pepwave Surf SOHO very well suited to be the hub of a mobile network - and we consider it to be a worthy Top Pick.
Specifications - Pepwave Surf SOHO (Rev 3)
- Wi-Fi Router: Yes - Simultaneous Dual Band
- Cellular Tethering via USB: Yes - Most USB modems, hotspots and Android devices supported.
- Integrated Cellular Modem: No
- Ethernet Ports: 4x 1,000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet LAN, 1x Gigabit WAN
- Special Features: Data Usage Tracking, Auto Failover
- Power Source: 10V - 24V DC Input, 110V AC Adapter Included
- Dimensions: 9.17" x 5.6" x 1.18"
- Outdoor Rated: No
- Retail Price: $199
Other Models & Variations
This is the third version of the Pepwave Surf SOHO, and the most significant change to the product line yet.
The original first generation version of the Surf SOHO was essentially identical to the second, with the only significant difference being that it had 100Mbps fast ethernet ports rather than 1,000Mbps gigabit ethernet ports, which were added in a quiet product refresh in early 2015.
Please help us improve our content by filling
out our survey about Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint.
Take the Survey Now
TIP: You can recognize the third generation SOHO because it has three antenna jacks on the back, rather than two.
Table of Contents
Member Exclusive Content / Review:
- Thoughts & Analysis
- Hands on Testing
- In-depth Video Tutorial
- Purchasing Options
Review & Testing Status
Peplink sent us a review unit of the new 8021.11ac version of the Surf SOHO for evaluation in late 2016.
We have had the Surf SOHO in active head-to-head testing against several other competitors since the beginning of 2017 - and we have even made it our primary mobile router for weeks on end to stress test it.
We share our more detailed analysis, hands-on thoughts, and an in-depth video guide with our members below.
And members can view our ongoing field testing and range results here:
Here is our quick unboxing video and first impressions of the 802.11ac Pepwave Surf SOHO after we received it:
Use Coupon Code 'NovSave10' to save $10 off new MIA memberships!
Our deeper analysis, impressions, and video guide are in our members-only section.
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
NOTE: Do be careful when shopping that you get the new 802.11ac capable version of the SURF SOHO, and not the older model which is lacking in this key feature.
Related News Center Articles
- 2017 Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2018 Posted on: December 30, 2017
- Long Awaited Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 at Last Released! Posted on: November 27, 2017
- Breaking News: Major Wi-Fi Security Vulnerability Revealed, Mobile Routers & Devices Impacted Posted on: October 16, 2017
- Peplink Embraces LTE-A at Last, but Basic MAX BR1 Update Seemingly Delayed Posted on: March 22, 2017
- 2016 RV Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2017 Posted on: January 6, 2017
Pepwave Surf SOHO
Peplink's feature-packed small office / home office mobile router, now even better with 802.11ac Wi-Fi for much faster local networking.