Peplink is a large and well respected company in the mobile networking space - primarily focused on high end applications covering everything from providing cellular connectivity to fleets of vehicles to enabling whole-building network installations for hotels and offices.
But Peplink has not forgotten about individual consumers, and some of the lower end offerings in the product line are very well suited to the RV market.
In particular, the Pepwave Surf SOHO (Small Office / Home Office) is very well suited to be the hub of an RV's network. The Surf SOHO is a WiFi-as-WAN capable router with four downstream ethernet ports, an ethernet WAN port, and great support for tethering cellular modems and hotspots over USB.
Specifications - Pepwave Surf SOHO (Rev 3)
- Wi-Fi Router: Yes - Simultaneous Dual Band
- 2.4GHz Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n - 450Mbps Max (3x3 MIMO)
- 5GHz Wi-Fi: 802.11 ac/a/n - 1300Mbps Max (3x3 MIMO)
- Wi-Fi Antenna: 3x RP-SMA/Female Antenna Port, Indoor Antennas Included
- Wi-Fi as WAN: Yes
- Guest Wi-Fi Network: Yes
- Cellular Tethering via USB: Yes - Most USB modems & hotspots supported.
- Integrated Cellular Modem: No
- Ethernet Ports: 4x 1,000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet LAN, 1x Gigabit WAN
- Special Features: Data Usage Tracking, Auto Faillover
- Power Source: 10V - 24V DC Input, 110V AC Adapter Included
- Dimensions: 9.17" x 5.6" x 1.18"
- Outdoor Rated: No
- Retail Price: $179
Other Models & Variations
This is the third version of the Pepwave Surf SOHO, and the most significant change to the product line.
The second generation Surf SOHO lacks 802.11ac and simultaneous dual-band Wi-Fi, and is featured in our review center here.
The original version of the Surf SOHO was essentially identical to the second, with the only significant difference being that it had 100Mbps fast ethernet ports rather than 1,000Mbps gigabit ethernet ports, which were added in a quiet product refresh in early 2015.
Peplink has sent us a review unit for evaluation, here's our quick unboxing video and first impressions:
We'll be evaluating this unit, along with all of the new WiFiRanger gear - and doing some in-depth analysis for our members (below). Our members already have access to our 'First Look' video overview of the SOHO versus the WiFiRanger product line, as well as our field testing data..
You can also read our hand's on review of the previous version here.
Related News Center Articles
- 2016 RV Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2017 Posted on: January 6, 2017
- Pepwave Launches Next Generation Surf SOHO, MAX BR1 Mini Posted on: November 25, 2016
- Cradlepoint Embraces LTE-Advanced, Multi-Carrier Radios Posted on: June 1, 2016
- MaxxFi Mobile Broadband: Exxagerated... But Interesting Posted on: May 10, 2015
- Escapade Internet: Pepwave MAX BR1 Tested Under Pressure (Review Preview) Posted on: March 16, 2015
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
NOTE: The new 802.11ac version of the Pepwave Surf SOHO is officially released, but is in limited supply. 3GStore sold out on day 1, and expects a new shipment perhaps by end of the year. Keep your eye out on the listing on Amazon as well.
Pepwave Surf SOHO
Peplink's feature-packed small office / home office mobile router, now with 802.11ac Wi-Fi!