As a direct prepaid subsidiary of Sprint, Virgin mobile plans include some of the bundled perks of Sprint postpaid accounts - but not all.
Currently Available Plans
All current plans require an additional fee of $3/day for 500mb of mobile hotspot use or $5/1GB per month or $10/2GB per month. All other data in the following plans is on device. Speeds on device for capped data plans are reduced to 2G (128kbps) after cap is reached.
- 5GB - $35/month
- 10GB - $45/month
- Unlimited - $60/month
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
In June of 2017, Virgin Mobile revamped their offerings, consolidating their multiple plan options to a single 'unlimited' plan option - 'Inner Circle'- with a focus on iPhone users.
In August 2018, they ended the Inner Circle promo, revamping their plan offerings to include a 5GB, 10GB and unlimited plan (on device) option.
We do not keep a Virgin Mobile plan in our testing arsenal.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: Sprint
- Carrier Relation: Prepaid Carrier Direct
- Plan Types Available: Phone
- Device Types Permitted: Phone
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Mobile hotspot requires an extra fee. After MHS data bucket is used, MHS is cut-off. MHS data is measured separately from your data plan's data. Max five connections to a line at a time.
- $3/day for 500MB
- $5/month for 1GB
- $10/month for 2GB
- Throttling: After high-speed data bucket is used, unlimited 2G data (128kbps) speeds provided.
- Network Management: at 35GB
- International Roaming: None
- Domestic Roaming: No data roaming, 50minutes/month domestic voice roaming
- Plan Period: 30 days
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: None
- Unlimited: Yes - on device only
- Device Lock/Unlock Policy: Although phones are locked upon activation, you can choose to unlock your phone at any time as long as the device has been activated for at least 14 days.
- Virgin Mobile Going Unlimited - And iPhone Only Posted on: June 30, 2017
- Sprint Tower Cost-Cutting Leads to Fears of Service Interruptions, Reduced Coverage Posted on: January 21, 2016
- Virgin Mobile Adds Extra Data to Data Done Right Plans Posted on: May 16, 2015
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
More Information Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to any further notes, analysis, insider info, member experiences and/or our full in-depth review of this product or offering.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.