There are some organizations with access to a special Sprint based plan intended for non-profits. These operators are qualified to tap into an old legacy plan that Sprint inherited during its acquisition of Clear in 2013, and these particular plans are administered by master agents Mobile Beacon & Mobile Citizen behind the scenes.
Policies & Perks:
Top Pick Plan Notes: These plans are truly unlimited data for the included hotspot device, with no caps or throttling. However you are not the plan owner, and are instead receiving the plan as a benefit of your membership to the non-profit. The terms of the merger with T-Mobile should include keeping this plan around into the future, and roaming onto T-Mobile towers is already activated when there is no Sprint signal (these plans may also become direct T-Mobile plans in time). Pricing ranges from $12 - 50/month depending on the non-profit you are qualified for, and if you choose monthly, quarterly or annual memberships.
- Carrier Networks Used: Sprint
- Carrier Relation: Non-Profit Reseller
- Plan Types Available: LTE Data Only
- Device Types Permitted: Hotspot - Device Specific (Officially)
- Device Purchase Required: Non-profit dependent, but typically, yes.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes - all
- 5G Access: Yes - on specified device/plan
- Throttling: None
- Network Management: 50 GB
- International Roaming: No international coverage is included.
- Domestic Roaming: Roaming onto T-Mobile towers when no Sprint signal included. No other domestic roaming or 3G Sprint coverage included.
- Plan Period: Monthly, Quarterly, Annual
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Streaming: There are no restrictions, throttling or blocks on video streaming.
- Unlimited: Yes
News, Video, & Status:
Members of our team have kept these plans over the years, confirming the plan works as intended.
Note: As of Sept 14, 2020 Calyx is no longer offering the 8000L or Coolpad Surf shown in this video.
- Calyx Institute Introduces Sustainer Membership Level with 5G Hotspot & Unlimited Sprint Data Included Posted on: May 17, 2021
- Sprint Non-Profit Unlimited Hotspot Plans Gain Access to T-Mobile Roaming - Calyx, PCs for People Posted on: November 18, 2020
- Calyx Institute Introducing Quarterly Pricing on Unlimited Sprint Hotspot Offering Posted on: March 10, 2020
- 4GCommunity Ending Non-Profit Sprint Based Unlimited Hotspot Benefit Posted on: October 23, 2017
- Calyx Institute Offering Unlimited & Unthrottled Sprint Service Posted on: September 26, 2016
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier, and we do not endorse any specific vendor. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
- Calyx Institute - A long time non-profit dedicated to protecting internet privacy offers these plans as part of their membership, which are open to all (no income verification needed). They offer a 'Sustainer' membership level for $750 for the first year that includes a M2000 5G T-Mobile hotspot device, and then service is $500/year for renewals. Their 'Contributor' membership level is $500, which include a basic level LTE mobile hotspot device and 1 year of unlimited service - additional years are $400/yr. They also offer quarterly payment options for the Contributor, which works out to $600/year. This makes the range in cost $33-50/month depending on the option you select.
- PCs for People - Available only to qualifying low-income households. Monthly service comes out to about $15/month, plus equipment purchase.
- ConnectAll - Qualified members (presumed to be a non-profit or low income status) can order service for $11.95/mo plus equipment purchase.
Here's our video going over ways to get LOTS of data for use in your travels:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. You also need the right gear, signal enhancing strategy and planning your travels around the options you carry with you. Head on over to our collection of guides:
Top Data Plan Picks
Our constantly updated list of the BEST data plans.
Which Carrier is Best?
Is Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint best for your travels?
Selecting Data Plans
Our deep dive into understanding data plans and shopping for them.
Data Plan Pricing Grid
Our always updated spreadsheet comparing all data plans suitable for mobile internet.
Unliimted Data Plans
Learn about the limits on unlimited data plans (or rather: "unlimited").