UPDATE: On March 28th, Calyx posted a new message that all members with Sprint SIM cards need to update/confirm their addresses by April 8th. This seems to address some additional Sprint devices that require updates:
If you received a Mifi M2000, Linkzone 2 or Franklin T9 from us before October 2021, then it has a Sprint SIM card that needs to be replaced. You can also reach out to Mobile Citizen (877-216-9603) to check if your hotspot has a Sprint SIM card.
(Our original news brief) The nonprofit cellular plan provider Calyx Institute, which has long operated on the Sprint Network, told its members that certain Sprint-based devices will no longer work on June 1st.
Members and former members need to take action by April 1st to receive a free replacement.
Calyx will replace the CoolPad Surf, Pocket Wifi, Franklin R910 and R850 hotspots with the Franklin T9 and T-Mobile compatible SIM card. Additionally, Calyx Contributor Plus members with the MIFI 8000 will receive an Inseego M2000 hotspot with T-Mobile SIM card and will be switched to the Sustainer level at the same pricing as their previous membership.
Those already with T-Mobile compatible devices with Sprint SIM cards should be receiving replacement SIM cards sometime before the June Sprint shut down.
The Calyx announcement with additional details is currently on their News page.
Calyx members should confirm that their addresses are correct in their profile, or update it with a current shipping address. The Calyx Institute notice states that replacement devices will be shipped out in the next two months at no cost, and will include activation instructions. There are no other changes to the Calyx plan.
If your Calyx membership has expired and your hotspot is turned off, you must reactivate your membership by April 1st in order to be eligible for the free replacement.
The need for replacement devices is a direct result of the Sprint - T-Mobile merger as T-Mobile is shutting down Sprint's network to reuse Sprint's spectrum for its 5G expansion. After Sprint's network shuts down, certain Sprint devices will no longer work.
Key Mobile Internet Related Considerations:
- Some Calyx Institute devices will stop working on or around June 1st, 2022.
- Members must update their address and/or reactivate their account by April 1st to receive a free replacement device. RVers and boaters with shipping addresses that can change should set theirs to something that can be forwarded, as shipping can occur anytime over the next couple of months.
- Aside from a new device and SIM, there will be no changes to Calyx data plans.
For more information:
Related Content at the Mobile Internet Resource Center:
- Gear Center: Franklin T9
- Gear Center: Inseego M2000
- Gear Center: Non-Profit Unlimited Plans
- Guide: Top Pick Plans
- Calyx Institute Replacing Sprint Hotspots and SIMs - Update Your Address By April 8th! (UPDATED) Posted on: March 18, 2022
- FMCA Begins Transition to T-Mobile Hotspots for Existing Members Posted on: February 15, 2022
- T-Mobile-Sprint Merger Update: Sprint 4G/LTE & 3G Network Shutdown Dates Announced Posted on: August 9, 2021
- Calyx Institute Introduces Sustainer Membership Level with 5G Hotspot & Unlimited Sprint Data Included Posted on: May 17, 2021
- T-Mobile Expands Roaming For Sprint Customers Posted on: May 4, 2021
- Sprint Non-Profit Unlimited Hotspot Plans Gain Access to T-Mobile Roaming - Calyx, PCs for People Posted on: November 18, 2020
- The T-Mobile Network Experience (TNX) - Next Step in Transitioning Sprint Customers Posted on: October 8, 2020