Spectrum Mobile service is a hybrid wireless service combining Verizon's cellular network with the network of ~250 thousand Spectrum Wi-Fi hotspots on smartphone devices.
Spectrum Mobile is available to all Spectrum home internet subscribers, meaning you have to be a customer for their home internet service in order to sign up. So if you do not have Spectrum cable service available in your stationary neighborhood, this service is not available to you.
However, if you cancel Spectrum home internet service in the future, you can keep the Spectrum Mobile lines, with some limitations:
- Each line will be charged an additional $20/month access fee.
- Speeds when using Spectrum W-iFi hotspots will be limited to 5Mbps.
- You can change your plan, but you won't be able to add additional lines.
The base monthly service of unlimited talk and text is included for free with the internet service - and you only pay for the data package you want. Mobile hotspot use is included with both plans.
Currently, customers must purchase a new phone through Spectrum Mobile to sign up or trade-in an old phone for a discount.
However, Spectrum Mobile plans to allow customers to use their own Verizon-compatible phones at some point in the future, without needing to purchase a new device.
The plans and devices are internationally capable with international roaming rates for talk, text and data based upon the country. For Canada and Mexico, the rates are 10 cents per text or minute of talk and 5 cents per MB of data.
Policies & Perks:
- Domestic Roaming: If no WiFi hotspot or native Verizon coverage is available, Spectrum Mobile supports domestic roaming with Verizon's roaming partners.
- Throttling: Full speed except for video (throttled to 480p). Subject to network management policies after 20GB
- International: Users will be charged international roaming rates for talk, text, and data based upon the country.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Mobile hotspot use is permitted. For the unlimited plan, it's restricted to 5GB of high-speed data then unlimited at 600kbps.
- Data Roll Over: Base data allotment for the by-the-gig plan does not roll-over.
- Overage Charges: None. If you are not on the unlimited plan, data is $14/GB. Customers can switch to Unlimited mid month.
- Streaming: No free streaming services are included - all video services are throttled to 480p resolution.
- Unlimited Data Plans: The 'Unlimited' plan is full speed with 5GB of high-speed mobile hotspot use a month.
Testing Status: We do not keep a Spectrum Mobile plan in our testing arsenal.
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
Spectrum Mobile Mobile Ratings
Spectrum Mobile offers an unlimited data plan for Spectrum home internet customers.