Xfinity Mobile is available to all Xfinity customers with a postpaid subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service. So if you do not have Comcast cable at a fixed address, then this service is not available to you.
Xfinity is calling the changes their "2nd Generation" plan. Customers who sign-up starting in August 2019 will get this new 2nd Gen plan - customers who already had service before July 31, 2019, can keep the original plan terms, dubbed the "1st Generation Plan."
So what's changed? Quite a bit - here is a detailed comparison chart on Xfinity Mobile's website. Here are the new terms in a nutshell:
- By-The-Gig plans now include three options - 1GB ($12), 3GB ($30), and 10GB ($60). After those limits are reached, customers will continue to get more data at the usual 1GB for $12.
- The By-The-Gig options also now come with HD (720p) streaming and high-speed mobile hotspot. There is, however, a "Data Saver" feature that customers can opt-in to that reduces video streams to 480p and mobile hotspot to 600kbps - useful for those worried about blowing through data too quickly.
- ALL data on ALL plans is now subject to network management - yes, even the tiered By-The-Gig plans. This means data is at a lower priority and may be slowed on congested towers.
- Xfinity Mobile added an "HD Data" option for an extra $20/month. This option removes network management deprioritization from the line of service and, on the Unlimited plan, enables HD (720p) streaming.
- Those who cancel Comcast/Xfinity home service can keep Xfinity Mobile service but will be charged an additional $20/month per line of service.
The imposition of network management on all data use unless customers pay another $20/month per line is a major downgrade that makes the 2nd Generation Xfinity Mobile plan a lot less attractive. This would push the price of an Unlimited line up to $65/month.
For more info and all the details on Xfinity Mobile's Plans:
- Xfinity Mobile Plan Changes Posted on: August 6, 2019
- Xfinity Mobile Adjusts Plan - Implements Hotspot & Video Throttle Posted on: July 2, 2018
- Spectrum Launches Mobile Service for Home Internet Customers Posted on: July 2, 2018
- Cell Carriers Respond to Hurricane Irma Posted on: September 12, 2017