Metro by T-Mobile is a wholly owned prepaid subsidiary of T-Mobile, offering smartphone plans to consumers.
Metro by T-Mobile was formerly known as MetroPCS, but re-branded in October of 2018.
Metro offers phone plans with on device only data, phone hotspot data (capped) and standalone hotspot device options. You must have a phone line on MetroPCS in order to add a standalone hotspot line. All standalone hotspot lines offer capped data buckets - there is no unlimited option for standalone hotspots.
Metro does offer unlimited plans for phone devices, with capped high speed hotspot data allotments.
Metro plans can only be purchased in a Metro store.
Metro by T-Mobile Current Plans:
- Phone Based Plans
- 2GB Plan
- 10GB Plan
- $50 Unlimited Plan
- $60 Unlimited Plan
- Hotspot Based Plans - can only be added to an account with one or more phone lines
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
We do not keep a prepaid Metro by T-Mobile plan.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: T-Mobile
- Carrier Relation: Direct subsidiary
- Plan Types Available: Phone, data only
- Device Types Permitted: Phones, Hotspots (must be added to an existing phone plan)
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Mobile Hotspot Use:
- 2GB & 10GB Plans - no mobile hotspot
- $50 Unlimited Plan - 5GB high-speed mobile hotspot
- $60 Unlimited Plan - 15GB high-speed mobile hotspot
- Network Management: Metro traffic is always prioritized behind direct T-Mobile traffic. Full network management kicks in at 35GB/line.
- International Roaming: Offers roaming in Canada and Mexico for $5/month extra - capped at 5GB.
- Domestic Roaming: None
- Plan Period:
- Data Roll Over: None
- Overage Charges: Metro never charges overage fees. Once you hit your high speed data cap, you are just simply slowed down to 2G speeds for the rest of the billing period. There is also the option to buy 'bolt-on' data in buckets of 2GB, 5GB, or 10GB.
- Streaming: Unlimited data plans include unlimited on-device video streaming, but all video is throttled to 480p (SD/DVD quality) - called 'Data Maximizer'. There is no option to turn off 'Data Maximizer'.
- Unlimited: Two on device unlimited data plans are offered that allow either 5GB or 15GB a month of mobile hotspot use. Additional unlimited data lines can be added to a plan for $30/each per month - each with their own 5GB or 15GB hotspot data cap.
- Lines permitted per account: Up to 5 lines are allowed on an account.
- A standalone hotspot plan is offered, but it needs to be added as a line to an existing phone plan.
- Device Lock/Unlock Policy: Policy: You can request the unlock code after 90 consecutive (continuous) days of phone service with Metro.
- $50 Unlimited Plan - 100GB of Google One
- $60 Unlimited Plan - Amazon Prime, 100GB of Google One
- MetroPCS Now Offers Dedicated Data Hotspot Plans Posted on: January 22, 2018
- Metro PCS Adds 2GB of Hotspot Data, Increases Family Line Pricing Posted on: October 13, 2017
- Metro PCS Offering Solid Promos - With 8GB+ Mobile Hotspot Ready Data Posted on: August 9, 2017
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.