The Family Motorcoach Association offers two data plans to their members that may be of interest to RVers. One is on Verizon and one is on Sprint.
This guide focuses on the Sprint based data plan offered by FMCA. **TOP PICK**
This plan is only available to FMCA members.
Last Update: November 18, 2020
Sprint is now part of T-Mobile, as per the merger that closed on April 1, 2020.
New Sprint customers are directed to T-Mobile to sign up for their plans, however, some of Sprint's legacy plans are still available in-store or over the phone. Customers on existing direct Sprint plans will be able to retain those plans for the next three years without price increases or changes to features.
The two networks still operate mostly independently with their own towers and frequency bands. Some Sprint customers can have their Sprint phones coded to make the T-Mobile network the primary network for their phones instead of Sprint. Sprint customers with recent 5G phones such as the Galaxy S10 automatically use T-Mobile as the primary network since the combined company is shutting down Sprint's 5G service.
As of October, T-Mobile is offering most Sprint smartphone customers that use the Sprint cellular network the ability to choose the "T-Mobile Network Experience". In short, TNX allows Sprint network customers with compatible devices to trade in their Sprint SIM card for a T-Mobile SIM card and move their plan to the T-Mobile network while retaining the features, billing, and terms of their original Sprint plan. You can read more about what this means here.
Starting in late November, non-profit Sprint based plans have T-mobile roaming enabled via a PRL update pushed to devices.
At present time - aside from Boost being sold to Dish Network - there are no changes to 3rd party, reseller or MVNO plans sold on the Sprint network. However, we are continuing to monitor the situation and will update as appropriate.
Sprint FMCA TechConnect+ Plan Information
The Sprint plan is offered as part of the FMCA Tech Connect+ package, which includes discounts to various technology items paired with an unlimited Sprint data plan.
- The Sprint plan offers truly unlimited high-speed data but is always subject to network management.
- All fees on this plan are paid directly to the FMCA as part of their Tech Connect+ membership. The plan is administered directly by the FMCA, not Sprint.
- This is a no-contract plan. The plan is month-to-month and can be canceled at any time. You can also suspend service for $13.99/month.
- To be eligible you must have at least 1 year remaining on an FMCA membership.
- To use the plan, you rent a mobile hotspot for a one-time fee of $39.99, regardless of how long you keep the plan. The hotspot must be returned within 15 days if the plan is canceled. Failure to return the hotspot results in a $200 administrative fee. There is no option to bring your own device and the SIM cannot be used in another device. Luckily, the device tends to be whatever is the current flagship hotspot device.
Currently Available Plan
- Unlimited - $49.99/month, plus a one-time $39.99 rental fee for the hotspot
- Carrier Networks Used: Sprint
- Carrier Relationship: Reseller
- Plan Types Available: Hotspot
- Device Types Permitted: Provided Hotspot Device (officially)
- Unlimited: Yes
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes - all
- Throttling: No
- Network Management: Always
- Video Streaming Resolution: 480p
- 5G Access: No
- Device Purchase Required: Yes
- Plan Period: Monthly
- International Roaming: None
- Domestic Roaming: 300MB a month of domestic roaming
- Data Roll Over: None
- Overage Charges: None - unless you don't return the device - then $200
- Lines permitted per account: 1
News, Videos & Status
- FMCA Offers New Sprint Unlimited Data Plan with Tech Connect+ Membership Posted on: November 15, 2017
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Purchasing Links Provided as a Courtesy
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
To remain unbiased as possible, our primary source of funding comes from our premium members, and we have negotiated higher discounts from some vendors instead of accepting affiliate relationships.
Members, please do check your exclusive Member Discounts before placing an order.
Getting the Plan
You must be a current FMCA member. Call Member Services at (800) 543-3622 or online at FMCA.com.
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.