Boost Mobile is a prepaid brand owned by Dish Wireless.
Boost Mobile originally was a subsidiary of Sprint, but they were sold to Dish in July 2020 as part of the T-Mobile/Sprint merger. They offer prepaid plans. They recently are offering an eSIM option for international travel. Prices for eSIM vary by country and you can sign up at their website.
Boost Mobile was Dish's first entry into the mobile cellular carrier world. Dish is developing their own stand-alone 5G network, effectively replacing Sprint as the 4th major network provider.
As part of the agreement of Dish's purchase of Boost Mobile, they were given the right to use T-Mobile's 5G network for seven years. Dish also entered into a roaming agreement with AT&T in 2021.
Dish also has another brand called Boost Infinite which was launched in late 2022, and offers a postpaid phone plan.
Currently Available Plans
- Unlimited Plus (30GB high speed) - $60/month
- Unlimited w/ hotspot (30GB high speed) - $40/month
- Unlimited no hotspot (30GB high speed) - $25/month
- 5GB - $15/month
- 3-Month Plan (30GB/month high speed) - $90/3 months
- Carrier Networks Used: T-Mobile, AT&T, and Dish
- Carrier Relationship: Owned by Dish Network
- Plan Types Available: Phone, Data
- Device Types Permitted: Phones, Hotspot. For international eSIM go to the international eSIM compatibility page
- Unlimited: Yes, but with high-speed data caps
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Unlimited Plus - 30GB
- Unlimited - 12GB
- Unlimited $25 Plan - No
- 5GB - all data can be used as hotspot
- 3-Month Plan - 12GB/month
- Throttling: Yes
- All Unlimited Plans are throttled after 30GB/month
- Network Management: Yes
- Video Streaming Resolution:
- Unlimited Plus - video up to 1080p, music up to 1.5 Mbps, gaming up to 8 Mbps
- Unlimited - video up to 480p, music up to 500kbps, gaming up to 2 Mbps
- All other plans - 480p
- 5G Access: Yes
- eSIM: Yes, for some plans/phones
- Device Purchase Required: Yes for hotspot plan only
- Plan Period: 30 days
- International Roaming:
- Unlimited Plus only - 8GB/month in Mexico
- Also eSIM international prices vary by country
- Domestic Roaming: Voice services only
- Data Roll Over: None
- Overage Charges: None
- Lines permitted per account: 5
- Extras: For eSIM international you need a unlocked phone and eSIM compatible and do not need a Boost Mobile domestic plan
News, Videos, & Status
Related News Stories
- Boost Mobile Running Promotion on $50 Go Unlimited Plan Posted on: January 12, 2021
- Boost Mobile Plan Changes Include a New 35GB High Speed Data Cap on Go Unlimited Phone Plans Posted on: August 13, 2020
- Cellular Carriers Add Extra Data in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic Posted on: March 24, 2020
- Virgin Mobile Ends USA Service Plans - Migrates Customers to Boost Mobile Posted on: January 7, 2020
- Shifting Landscape at FreedomPop, UNREAL, Ting & RedPocket Posted on: July 9, 2019
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Purchasing Links & Disclaimer
We don't sell stuff, we are primarily member funded. Some links below may be affiliate links (see our disclaimer), which also helps fund MIRC.
The vendors displayed below provide larger discounts to our MIAs that we have negotiated instead of displaying affiliate links while they are logged in.
MIA Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our Mobile Internet Aficionados (MIA) get special discounts from the below vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. With savings up to 11% off, you could save more than your membership cost!
Shopping for Cellular Data Plans
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Here's our video going over ways to get LOTS of data for use in your travels:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. You also need the right gear, signal enhancing strategy and planning your travels around the options you carry with you. Head on over to our collection of guides:
Top Data Plan Picks
Our constantly updated list of the BEST data plans.
Which Carrier is Best?
Is Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Dish best for your travels?
Selecting Data Plans
Our deep dive into understanding data plans and shopping for them.
Data Plan Pricing Grid
Our always updated spreadsheet comparing all data plans suitable for mobile internet.
Getting LOTS of the Data
Learn how to get lots of cellular data in your mobile internet arsenal.