Boost Mobile is a subsidiary of Sprint, and operates as a prepaid option for both smartphones and mobile hotspots.
In January of 2019, Sprint Forward (Sprint Prepaid) announced they would be migrating all Sprint Forward customers to Boost Mobile by the end of September 2019. After this date, Boost Mobile acts as Sprint's main prepaid subsidiary.
In January 2020, Virgin Mobile informed customers that Virgin Mobile U.S. customers would be migrated to Boost Mobile service in February of 2020.
Boost Mobile is notorious for offering promos - both on plans, and port in deals, and device deals as well. Also note that Boost often extends their 'limited time deals' almost indefinitely.
- Tiered Phone Plans:include unlimited talk & text
- 3GB: $35
- Unlimited Phone Plans: All include unlimited talk, text, and on device data - available for phone devices only.
- Unlimited Gigs Plan: $50 per month - includes 12GB of hotspot data
- Unlimited Plus Plan: $60 per month - includes 30GB of hotspot data
- Ultimate Unlimited Plan: $80 per month - includes 50GB of hotspot data
- WiFi Hotspot (Data Only) Plans
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
We do not keep a Boost Mobile plan in our testing arsenal.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: Sprint
- Carrier Relation: Prepaid Carrier Subsidiary
- Plan Types Available: Phone, Data Only
- Device Types Permitted: Phones, Hotspots, Tablets, iOT
- Device Purchase Required: Device purchase (Coolpad Surf) or compatible Boost Mobile branded device required for WiFi Hotspot Plan. Device purchase not required for phone plans.
- Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Tiered Data Phone Plans - yes, all
- Unlimited Phone Plans:
- Unlimited Gigs Plan: 12GB of hotspot data
- Unlimited Plus Plan: 30GB of hotspot data
- Ultimate Unlimited Plan: 50GB of hotspot data
- Data Only Plans - yes
- Throttling: Data speeds will be slowed to 2G speeds after high-speed allowance is used.
- Network Management: 35GB
- International Roaming: No international coverage is included on Boost's plans. Mexico data services can be added to the plans at an additional cost.
- $5/Mo: Up to 8 GB of data roaming in Mexico. Customers on capped plans receive 1.5GB of data.
- Domestic Roaming: Plan & device dependent
- Plan Period: 30 days
- Data Roll Over: None
- Overage Charges: No, but you can use the restart plan option and make your full monthly payment early to re-enable all your services immediately or you can purchase a Data Pack for an additional allotment of high-speed data.
- Streaming: Boost offers an 'add-on' called "Boost TV' which offers various networks to stream via your device for an additional cost per month.
- Unlimited Gigs Plan - 480p video streaming, 500Kbps music streaming, 2Mbps gaming.
- Unlimited Plus Plan- Up to 1080p video streaming, 500Kbps music streaming, 2Mbps gaming.
- Ultimate Unlimited Plan- Up to 1080p video streaming, 1.5Mbps music streaming, 8Mbps gaming. Tidal premium music streaming service subscription included in plan.
- Lines per account: 5 - family plan pricing kicks in with additional lines, dependent on current promos and line types.
- Device Lock/Unlock Policy: The phone must have been used on Boost mobile for 12 months. Also, good luck. Their unlock policies are shifty and unclear.
- Boost offers an 'add-on' called "Boost TV' which offers various networks to stream via your device for an additional cost per month.
- Boost offers 'data free' music streaming via some platforms on some of its plans. Tidal music streaming service is packaged with some plans.
Related Articles & Videos:
- Virgin Mobile Ends USA Service Plans - Migrates Customers to Boost Mobile Posted on: January 7, 2020
- Shifting Landscape at FreedomPop, UNREAL, Ting & RedPocket Posted on: July 9, 2019
- Boost Mobile Changes Hotspot Plans - Introduces 50GB for $50/mo Posted on: June 25, 2019
- Boost Mobile Offers New Unlimited Plan with 40GB Mobile Hotspot Data Posted on: August 7, 2018
- New Data Deal: Sprint-Based Boost Mobile Offers HD Streaming and 20GB Hotspot for a Limited Time Posted on: February 9, 2018
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.