Consumer Cellular is an AT&T and T-Mobile reseller providing a prepaid alternative service, primarily targeted to the retired demographic. They offer flexible monthly smartphone plans, with the option to add on a mobile hotspot device.
Which carrier they assign you to is dependent upon the home zip code used, and which carrier provides the best coverage there.
They offer a 5% discount to AARP members.
Policies & Perks:
- Domestic Roaming: Consumer Cellular includes domestic roaming on their plans.
- Throttling: All plans are at full speed data for the first 4GB of data used each month. Data may be slowed after that usage (and billed at $10/GB).
- International: Their plans do not include international usage.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: By default, the option to use mobile hotspot on phones is turned off. However, numerous reports indicate customers just need to call Consumer Cellular, and they will activate the feature at no extra charge. You can also add on a dedicated mobile hotspot device to the plan for an extra $10/month that shares in the 'connect' data purchased.
- Data Roll Over: None, unused data is lost at the end of the prepaid period.
- Overage Charges: Data used in excess of the plan selected is billed at $10/GB with a maximum of 10GB per billing period allowed. Usage after 4GB is subject to reduced speeds.
- Streaming: No streaming services are provided with prepaid accounts.
- Unlimited Plan: None
Testing Status: We do not keep a prepaid AT&T plan in our testing arsenal.
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
Consumer Cellular Ratings
If keeping connected is important to you in your travels, AT&T is a worthwhile part of your setup. Consumer Cellluar offers some compelling options for light data users.