Consumer Cellular is an AT&T and T-Mobile based MVNO providing service primarily targeted to the retired demographic. They offer flexible monthly smartphone plans that do not 'officially' include the ability to tether according to their Terms of Service. However, Consumer Cellular representatives will inform you that tethering on these plans is permitted - just utilize your phone's mobile hotspot feature.
Consumer Cellular used to offer data only plans that could be used on a mobile hotspot device that you purchased through them. Data only plans are currently in retirement.
They also offer a multifunction device called a GrandPad that acts as a simple phone, photo and tablet device for seniors with caregiver remote-management features.
Which carrier they assign you to is dependent upon the home zip code used, and which carrier provides the best coverage there.
They offer a 5% discount to AARP members.
Currently Available Plans:
- 10GB - $40
- 15GB - $50
- Unlimited (35GB of highspeed data) - $60
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T, T-Mobile
- Carrier Relationship: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Phone - all plans include voice, text, and data.
- Device Types Permitted: Phones, GrandPad (Tablet)
- Unlimited: Yes, but with a high speed data cap of 35GB
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes, up to plan limit
- Throttling: Yes, after 35GB on the unlimited plan
- Network Management: Always prioritized behind native T-Mobile or AT&T postpaid plans.
- Video Streaming Resolution: 1080p
- 5G Access: No
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Plan Period: Monthly
- International Roaming: Yes, with roaming fees.
- Domestic Roaming: Yes, with roaming fees.
- Data Roll Over: None
- Overage Charges: Yes. If you use more data than is on your plan, you will be automatically upgraded to, and billed for the next larger plan. After 35GB (their largest plan), your access to high speed data will be reduced, and you will experience slower speeds for the remainder of your billing cycle. If you exceed 35GB you can contact customer service to review options for purchasing additional amounts of high-speed data at $10/10GB up to 55GB.
- Lines permitted per account: Up to three
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
Related News & Videos:
- Consumer Cellular Offers New 'Unlimited' Plan With Mobile Hotspot Capability for $60 - But It's Really a 35GB Plan Posted on: May 7, 2020
- Cellular Carriers Add Extra Data in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic Posted on: March 24, 2020
- Consumer Cellular Adds Data To Plans - Without Price Increase Posted on: October 6, 2019
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.