Verizon is a major US cellular carrier.
For those who want a flexible plan or are not eligible for a postpaid account, Verizon's direct prepaid accounts are available for both smartphones and data-only devices.
Table of Contents:
Verizon Prepaid Phone Plans:
Verizon currently offers prepaid plans for both phones and tablets/hotspots. This guide covers Verizon Prepaid phone plans. For info on Jetpack / Tablet plans:
- Unlimited: $60 (*$50)
- 15GB: $45 (*$35)
- 5GB: $35 (*$25)
(All prices include $5 discount for auto-pay. *'d prices include additional Loyalty Discount)
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon
- Carrier Relationship: Direct, prepaid
- Plan Types Available: Phone
- Device Types Permitted: Phones
- Unlimited: Yes
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Unlimited Phone Plan has option to add 10GB high-speed mobile hotspot data for $5/month. After 10GB is used, mobile hotspot speeds are slowed to 600Kbps.
- On all capped data plans, all data can be used as mobile hotspot data.
- Unlimited Phone Plan: None on device. To 600Kbps if 10GB added mobil hotspot data is used.
- Capped Plans: Yes, after high speed data bucket allowance, speeds are slowed to 2G/128kbps.
- Network Management: Yes - always, for all plans.
- Video Streaming Resolution: 1080p for tablets, 720p for hotspot devices, and 480p for phones.
- 5G Access:
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Plan Period: 30 days
- International Roaming:
- Unlimited phone plan includes 0.5GB of data usage per day in Canada / Mexico.
- TravelPass is available for prepaid plans - for $5 a day per line, customers can use their plan data in Canada and Mexico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. For $10/day per line, plan data can be used in 30+ other destinations.
- Domestic Roaming: Some - but not full. Verizon prepaid utilizes most of Verizon postpaid domestic roaming for calls or data when you are off their network domestically. To view the disparities, see Verizon's map comparisons here. There are no additional charges for domestic roaming when it is supported - but you may see slowed data speeds (3G/2G speeds).
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Discounts Available:
- Autopay discount of $5/month
- Loyalty Discount: Offered on plans over $40/month, this discount reduces plan pricing by $5 after the 3rd month of service, and another $5 after the 9th month of service.
- Family discounts are not available on Verizon Prepaid phone plans offered after 6/24/2020.
- Lines permitted per account:
- 10 lines are allowed per account.
- Additional lines after the first are eligible for up to a $20/month discount depending on device and plan.
- A family plan allows for the ability to mix-and-match line types on a single account - including Jetpack / Tablet lines.
- Extras: None
Related Videos and News:
- Orbic Speed Mobile Hotspot, New Entry Device Available for Verizon and Verizon Prepaid Posted on: August 14, 2020
- Verizon Prepaid Offers Loyalty Discounts, Unlimited Smartphone Plan Now Offers 10GB Mobile Hotspot Data Option Posted on: June 24, 2020
- Verizon Prepaid 'Limited Time' $10/month Discount on 16GB or Unlimited Data Phone Plans Posted on: May 11, 2020
- Verizon Launches Yahoo!Mobile - Based on Visible - Unlimited Data for $39.99 Posted on: March 11, 2020
- Verizon Prepaid Offers $60 Account Credit to Port-Ins Posted on: November 20, 2019
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.