Verizon is a major US cellular carrier.
For those who want a flexible plan or are not eligible for a postpaid account, Verizon's direct prepaid accounts are available for both smartphones and data-only devices.
Table of Contents:
Verizon Prepaid Phone Plans:
Verizon currently offers prepaid plans for both phones and tablets/hotspots. This guide covers Verizon Prepaid phone plans. For info on Jetpack / Tablet plans:
- Unlimited: $60 (*$50)
- 15GB: $45 (*$35)
- 5GB: $35 (*$25)
(All prices include $5 discount for auto-pay. *'d prices include additional Loyalty Discount)
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon
- Carrier Relationship: Direct, prepaid
- Plan Types Available: Phone
- Device Types Permitted: Phones
- Unlimited: Yes
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Unlimited Phone Plan has option to add 10GB high-speed mobile hotspot data for $5/month. After 10GB is used, mobile hotspot speeds are slowed to 600Kbps.
- On all capped data plans, all data can be used as mobile hotspot data.
- Unlimited Phone Plan: None on device. To 600Kbps if 10GB added mobil hotspot data is used.
- Capped Plans: Yes, after high speed data bucket allowance, speeds are slowed to 2G/128kbps.
- Network Management: Yes - always, for all plans.
- Video Streaming Resolution: 1080p for tablets, 720p for hotspot devices, and 480p for phones.
- 5G Access:
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Plan Period: 30 days
- International Roaming:
- Unlimited phone plan includes 0.5GB of data usage per day in Canada / Mexico.
- TravelPass is available for prepaid plans - for $5 a day per line, customers can use their plan data in Canada and Mexico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. For $10/day per line, plan data can be used in 30+ other destinations.
- Domestic Roaming: Some - but not full. Verizon prepaid utilizes most of Verizon postpaid domestic roaming for calls or data when you are off their network domestically. To view the disparities, see Verizon's map comparisons here. There are no additional charges for domestic roaming when it is supported - but you may see slowed data speeds (3G/2G speeds).
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Discounts Available:
- Autopay discount of $5/month
- Loyalty Discount: Offered on plans over $40/month, this discount reduces plan pricing by $5 after the 3rd month of service, and another $5 after the 9th month of service.
- Family discounts are not available on Verizon Prepaid phone plans offered after 6/24/2020.
- Lines permitted per account:
- 10 lines are allowed per account.
- Additional lines after the first are eligible for up to a $20/month discount depending on device and plan.
- A family plan allows for the ability to mix-and-match line types on a single account - including Jetpack / Tablet lines.
- Extras: None
On June 24th, 2020, the following Verizon Prepaid phone plans were retired:
- Unlimited: $65
- 16GB: $45
- 6GB: $35
These plans do not include option of Loyalty Discount - but do include family plan discounts. No Canada / Mexico data roaming is included on these plans (Travel Pass can be added). The $65 ($70 w/o autopay) Unlimited phone plan does not include and hotspot data, and hotspot data cannot be added to the plan.
Related Videos and News:
- Orbic Speed Mobile Hotspot, New Entry Device Available for Verizon and Verizon Prepaid Posted on: August 14, 2020
- Verizon Prepaid Offers Loyalty Discounts, Unlimited Smartphone Plan Now Offers 10GB Mobile Hotspot Data Option Posted on: June 24, 2020
- Verizon Prepaid 'Limited Time' $10/month Discount on 16GB or Unlimited Data Phone Plans Posted on: May 11, 2020
- Verizon Launches Yahoo!Mobile - Based on Visible - Unlimited Data for $39.99 Posted on: March 11, 2020
- Verizon Prepaid Offers $60 Account Credit to Port-Ins Posted on: November 20, 2019
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.