Verizon is a major US cellular carrier.
For those who want a flexible plan or are not eligible for a postpaid account, Verizon's direct prepaid accounts are available for data-only devices.
Currently Available Prepaid Jetpack Plans:
8GB16GB Tablet/Hotspot Device: $45 ($50 w/o autopay) 3GB6GB Tablet/Hotspot Device: $35 ($40 w/o autopay) 500MB1GB Tablet/Hotspot Device: $30
Family Plan Discounts:
500MB1GB Tablet/Hotspot Device: $30
- No discount on Family Account
3GB6GB Tablet/Hotspot Device: $40 ($35 w/ autopay)
- Save $10/month on Family Account
8GB16GB Tablet/Hotspot Device: $50 ($45 w/ autopay)
- Save $15/month on Family Account
15GB30GB Tablet/Hotspot Device: $70 ($65 w/ autopay)
- Save $20/month on Family Account
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon
- Carrier Relation: Direct, prepaid
- Plan Types Available: Data only
- Device Types Permitted: Hotspots, Tablets
- Hotspot (Jetpack) Devices: Can be added as a line on an account for the full price of line, including as the only line on the account, except for the 500mb plan.
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Mobile Hotspot Use: Hotspot/Jetpack and Tablet devices are permitted to use all data via hotspot.
- Throttling: After the data bucket on most tiered plans is used, on-device speeds and hotspot speeds are throttled to 2G/128kbps for the remainder of the cycle - except for the 15GB (30GB with promo) Jetpack plan, which is throttled to 3G/600kbps.
- Network Management: All prepaid plans are always subject to deprioritization behind postpaid customers on congested towers.
- International Roaming: None - and no option to add TravelPass
- Domestic Roaming: Some - but not full. Verizon prepaid utilizes most of Verizon postpaid domestic roaming for calls or data when you are off their network domestically. To view the disparities, see Verizon's map comparisons here. There are no additional charges for domestic roaming when it is supported - but you may see slowed data speeds (3G/2G speeds).
- Plan Period: 30 days
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: There are no overage charges on prepaid plans.
- Streaming: No streaming services are provided with prepaid accounts. All video streaming is capped at 1080p for tablets, 720p for hotspot devices, and 480p for phones.
- Unlimited Data Plans: None currently available. pUDP Jetpack lines were retired to new customers on May 21st, 2019, but those who maintain those lines can utilize unlimited, network managed hotspot data from their hotspot device.
- Lines permitted per account:
- 10 lines are allowed per account.
- Additional lines after the first are eligible for up to a $20/month discount depending on device and plan.
- A family plan allows for the ability to mix-and-match line types on a single account.
- Visible Removes Speed Cap from $40/month Unlimited Verizon Plan - Mobile Hotspot Remains Throttled at 5Mbps Posted on: June 26, 2019
- Caution: Misleading Retired Verizon pUDP Banner Offer Posted on: June 12, 2019
- RIP Verizon Prepaid Unlimited Jetpack Plan (pUDP) - Double Data Promotions Posted on: May 21, 2019
More Information Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to any further notes, analysis, insider info, member experiences and/or our full in-depth review of this product or offering.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.