For those who want a flexible plan or are not eligible for a postpaid account, Verizon's direct prepaid accounts are available for data-only devices.
Currently Available Prepaid Jetpack Plans:
- 30GB - $65/month **TOP PICK**
- 16GB - $45
- 6GB - $35
(Prices listed include autopay discount.)
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon
- Carrier Relationship: Direct, prepaid
- Plan Types Available: Data only
- Device Types Permitted: Hotspots, Routers, Tablets
- Unlimited: No
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: Hotspot/Jetpack and Tablet devices are permitted to use all data via hotspot.
- Throttling: After high speed data cap is reached, speeds are throttled to 3G/600kbps. for the remainder of the cycle.
- Network Management: Always
- Video Streaming Resolution: 1080p for tablets and 720p for hotspot devices.
- 5G Access: Yes - Nationwide 5G
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Plan Period: 30 days
- International Roaming: None - and no option to add TravelPass
- Domestic Roaming: Some - but not full. Verizon prepaid utilizes most of Verizon postpaid domestic roaming for calls or data when you are off their network domestically. To view the disparities, see Verizon's map comparisons here. There are no additional charges for domestic roaming when it is supported - but you may see slowed data speeds (3G/2G speeds).
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: There are no overage charges on prepaid plans.
- Lines permitted per account:
- 10 lines are allowed per account.
- Additional lines after the first are eligible for up to a $20/month discount depending on device and plan.
- A family plan allows for the ability to mix-and-match line types on a single account.
News, Videos, & Status
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier, and we do not endorse any specific vendor. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Understanding the different plan terms (like network management, throttling, hotspot data, video resolution) is key to determining if a plan will meet your needs or not. You also need plans that are suitable for use in the device you want to use them in - such as smartphone, mobile hotspot device or cellular embedded router.
To learn more about shopping for dataplans, check out these key guides:
Here's a video going over the 'limits' on so-called 'unlimited' data plans:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. For more education on assembling a cellular centric mobile internet setup, head on over to our collection of guides to help with selecting gear and your signal enhancing strategy: