January 2019 Update: 8800L Network Drops & Reboots - Continuing Issues
Since the release of the 8800L, we have been fielding a number of reports of network dropouts and spontaneous reboots of this device. As best we can tell, not all units are impacted, as many have had no issues at all.
We have been in direct touch with Inseego on this issue since mid-November and have sent them several member's logs. They are currently in diagnostics to track this down. We'll update this space with any resolution.
It's too soon to know if the issues will be fixable with a firmware update, or if it's a hardware issue that will require a warranty replacement.
For actively tracking these issues and potential fixes, members can follow this Special Announcements Thread:
Even though it looks nearly identical to its older sibling, the 8800L is a major step up in terms of raw cellular capability - for the first time bringing gigabit LTE technologies to Verizon's hotspot lineup.
With 5G technology looming on the horizon, this hotspot perhaps represents the LTE pinnacle of the pre-5G world.
- Model Number: Inseego 8800L
- # of Connected Devices: 15 Wi-Fi / Supports USB Tethering
- Control Panel and Default Password:
Control Panel: http://192.168.1.1 or http://my.jetpack/
Default Admin Password: Random - Check Device Screen
- USB Tethering Support:
WiFiRanger Tethering: Works Great
Pepwave Tethering: Works Great (except for Surf On-The-Go)
- Networks supported:
Verizon LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 13, 66
Global Roaming on LTE Bands: 3, 7, 20, 28
LAA Bands: 46, 48 (CBRS)
FirstNet: Band 14 (requires a FirstNet Plan to utilize)
4G/3G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz - Global roaming supported.
3G: NO support for Legacy Verizon CDMA network
2G: GSM EDGE - Quad-band global roaming.
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes, including LAA
- MIMO Support: 4X4 and 2X2
- LTE Performance Category: Category 18
(Max Theoretical Speed: 1200Mbps Down / 150Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: 2x TS9 'Test Ports' (not official antenna ports, but like past Novatel models, they work as antenna ports.)
- Other Ports: USB-C
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n/a/ac - Simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Claimed Battery Life: 24 hours hotspot usage, multiple days standby
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: No
- Dimensions: 4.5" x 2.8" x 0.75" / 5.71 oz
- SIM Card Type: 4FF / Nano SIM
- Retail Price: $199.99 / $99.99 (w/ 2-year contract)
There is One (Minor) Downgrade...
One difference of note compared to the MiFi 7730L is that the MiFi 8800L drops support for CDMA cellular technology - which means that it is NOT compatible with Verizon's legacy 3G network. This would have been a major red flag a few years ago, but it is growing extremely rare to find areas where Verizon has 3G and no LTE coverage. But if you do know that you will be spending time in any of these places - do keep this in mind before upgrading.
Review & Testing Status
We have a review unit in our testing line-up, and have are currently doing extensive testing relying on the MiFi 8800L versus other Verizon compatible devices.
Our in-depth review is a work in progress and is coming online as we have experience and feedback to share. Our members are also encouraged to actively share their experiences in the comments.
Content included in the member area below:
- Favorite Features & Potential Downsides
- Verizon Hotspot Comparison Grid
- Hardware Features Explained
- Understanding LTE Cat 18
- 4x4 MIMO, But Dual Antenna Ports
- CBRS (Band 46) & LTE-LAA (Band 48)
- Unlocked, But Band Limited
- USB-C Charging
- Auto VPN
- Hands on Testing Results
- Tethering Compatibility
- Battery Life
- Performance Testing Comparison to 7730L
- Raw Initial Observations
- Software & User Interface
- Recommended Settings
- Outstanding Issues
- Reboots and Connection Drop-Outs
- Getting a 8800L
- Video Tour & Tutorial
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
Currently the 8800L is only available from Verizon's online store in Verizon retail stores. Eventually we expect it will show up in third-party retailers, but based upon past hotspot launches it may take many months.
Verizon 8800L Ratings
Assuming it performs as expected and we do not find any glaring issues, we expect that the MiFi 8800L will become our new 'Top Pick' mobile hotspot on Verizon.