Even though it looks nearly identical to its older sibling, the 8800L is a major forward in terms of raw cellular capability - and it was the first device to bring gigabit-class LTE technologies to Verizon's Jetpack lineup.
- Model Number: Inseego 8800L
- # of Connected Devices: 15 Wi-Fi / Supports USB Tethering
- Control Panel and Default Password:
- USB Tethering Support:
- WiFiRanger Tethering: Works Great
- Pepwave Tethering: Works Great (except for Surf On-The-Go)
- Networks supported:
- Verizon LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 13, 66
- Global Roaming on LTE Bands: 3, 7, 20, 28
- LAA Bands: 46, 48 (CBRS)
- FirstNet: Band 14 (requires a FirstNet Plan to utilize)
- 4G/3G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz - Global roaming supported.
- 3G: NO support for Legacy Verizon CDMA network
- 2G: GSM EDGE - Quad-band global roaming.
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes, including LAA
- MIMO Support: 4X4 internal, and 2X2 external
- LTE Performance Category: Category 18 (Max Theoretical Speed: 1200Mbps Down / 150Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports:
- 2x TS9 'Test Ports' (not official antenna ports), overwrites internal 4x4 MIMO antennas
- Right port is the primary port, for uploads.
- Other Ports: USB-C
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n/a/ac - Simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Simultaneous 2.4GHz/5GHz Range (reported): 50-70ft
- 5GHz Range (reported): 40-50ft
- Claimed Battery Life: 24 hours hotspot usage, multiple days standby
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: No
- Battery Part #: 40123117
- Battery Purchase
- Dimensions: 4.5" x 2.8" x 0.75" / 5.71 oz
- SIM Card Type: 4FF / Nano SIM
- Retail Price: $199.99 / $99.99 (w/ 2-year contract)
There is One (Minor) Downgrade from the 7730L...
One difference of note compared to the MiFi 7730L is that the MiFi 8800L drops support for CDMA cellular technology, which means that it is NOT compatible with Verizon's legacy 3G network. This would have been a major red flag a few years ago, but it is growing extremely rare to find areas where Verizon has 3G and no LTE coverage.
But if you do know that you will be spending time in any of these places - do keep this in mind before upgrading. Verizon has extended the shut down of their 3G network until late 2020.
Review & Testing Status
We have had the 8800L in continuous testing since it first came out. Our full review & tutorial is posted below for our members.
Our members are also encouraged to actively share their own experiences in the comments.
Related News Stories & Updates:
- Verizon Pushes 2A Firmware Update to Inseego 8800L MiFi Jetpack Posted on: May 13, 2020
- Verizon Finally Releases 8800L 1S Firmware Update - Hopefully Fixing Reboot & Disconnects Posted on: August 6, 2019
- Verizon Launches New Flagship Mobile Hotspot Device - The MiFi 8800L Posted on: October 29, 2018
Content included in the member area below:
- Favorite Features & Potential Downsides
- Verizon Hotspot Comparison Grid
- Hardware Features Explained
- Hands on Testing Results
- Tethering Compatibility
- Battery Life
- Performance Testing Comparison to 7730L
- Raw Initial Observations
- Software & User Interface
- Recommended Settings
- Outstanding Issues (Now Mostly Resolved)
- Reboots and Connection Drop-Outs
- Getting a 8800L
- Video Tour & Tutorial
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
To purchase a replacement battery:
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.