Even though it looks nearly identical to its older sibling, the 8800L is a major step up in terms of raw cellular capability - for the first time bringing gigabit LTE technologies to Verizon's Jetpack lineup.
Warning: 8800L Network Drops & Reboots - Continuing Issues
April 12, 2019 Update: Since the release of the 8800L, we have been fielding a number of reports of network dropouts and spontaneous reboots of this device. As best we can tell, not all units are impacted, as many have had no issues at all. But for those who are impacted by the issues, they can make the unit unreliable.
We have been in direct touch with Inseego on this issue since mid-November and have sent them several member's logs.
Since early March, we tested an 8800L flashed with beta firmware for Inseego. The new firmware shows substantial improvements, but we also noted a few lingering drop outs and they have made some revisions. In mid-April, Inseego has shipped us and some of our members a new 8800L to test and log potential issues. Inseego tells us they have given Verizon the firmware build - and at some point, Verizon should approve and push it to customers as an update.
Until these issues are resolved, it may be wise to hold off on purchasing this Jetpack model if you want to avoid potential problems.
For actively tracking & reporting these issues and potential fixes, members can interact in this Special Announcements Thread:
- Model Number: Inseego 8800L
- # of Connected Devices: 15 Wi-Fi / Supports USB Tethering
- Control Panel and Default Password:
- USB Tethering Support:
- WiFiRanger Tethering: Works Great
- Pepwave Tethering: Works Great (except for Surf On-The-Go)
- Networks supported:
- Verizon LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 13, 66
- Global Roaming on LTE Bands: 3, 7, 20, 28
- LAA Bands: 46, 48 (CBRS)
- FirstNet: Band 14 (requires a FirstNet Plan to utilize)
- 4G/3G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz - Global roaming supported.
- 3G: NO support for Legacy Verizon CDMA network
- 2G: GSM EDGE - Quad-band global roaming.
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes, including LAA
- MIMO Support: 4X4 and 2X2
- LTE Performance Category: Category 18 (Max Theoretical Speed: 1200Mbps Down / 150Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: 2x TS9 'Test Ports' (not official antenna ports, but like past Novatel models, they work as antenna ports.)
- Other Ports: USB-C
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n/a/ac - Simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Claimed Battery Life: 24 hours hotspot usage, multiple days standby
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: No
- Battery Part #: 40123117
- Battery Purchase
- Dimensions: 4.5" x 2.8" x 0.75" / 5.71 oz
- SIM Card Type: 4FF / Nano SIM
- Retail Price: $199.99 / $99.99 (w/ 2-year contract)
There is One (Minor) Downgrade...
One difference of note compared to the MiFi 7730L is that the MiFi 8800L drops support for CDMA cellular technology - which means that it is NOT compatible with Verizon's legacy 3G network. This would have been a major red flag a few years ago, but it is growing extremely rare to find areas where Verizon has 3G and no LTE coverage.
But if you do know that you will be spending time in any of these places - do keep this in mind before upgrading.
Review & Testing Status
We have a review unit in our testing line-up, an are currently doing extensive testing relying on the MiFi 8800L Jetpack versus other Verizon compatible devices.
Our in-depth review is a work in progress and is coming online as we have experience and feedback to share. Our members are also encouraged to actively share their experiences in the comments.
Content included in the member area below:
- Favorite Features & Potential Downsides
- Verizon Hotspot Comparison Grid
- Hardware Features Explained
- Hands on Testing Results
- Tethering Compatibility
- Battery Life
- Performance Testing Comparison to 7730L
- Raw Initial Observations
- Software & User Interface
- Recommended Settings
- Outstanding Issues
- Reboots and Connection Drop-Outs
- Getting a 8800L
- Video Tour & Tutorial
A Full Review of this Product is Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to the in-depth unbiased review of this product based on our extensive hands-on time and testing.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
Currently the 8800L is only available from Verizon's online store in Verizon retail stores. Eventually we expect it will show up in third-party retailers, but based upon past hotspot launches it may take many months.
To purchase a replacement battery: