Even though it looks nearly identical to its older sibling, the 8800L is a major step up in terms of raw cellular capability - for the first time bringing gigabit LTE technologies to Verizon's Jetpack lineup.
8800L Network Drops & Reboots -FIXED!!
August 6 Update: Verizon just released the firmware fix... it should be automatically downloaded to devices connected to Verizon's network. If not, go to your Jetpack Menu, select 'Software Update' and click 'Check for Update'. The download & installation process may take several minutes.
When are you are done, your firmware should be:
- eSW Verizon: 1S (as shown on the Jetpack's About screen)
Multiple reports indicate that doing a factory reset (accessible from the settings menu) may be beneficial after installing the update. A poll we conducted after the update indicates that about 90% of 8800L owners are experiencing notablely better reliability after the update, but there are still some lingering issues.
Here's our coverage fo the update: Verizon Finally Releases 8800L 1S Firmware Update
If you've been waiting for the issues to be resolved before purchasing an 8800L and you are protecting a grandfathered plan (such as a gUDP or pUDP) - remember that you need to purchase via 3rd party. Do not purchase a device direct from Verizon, or you risk losing your grandfathered in plan.
- Model Number: Inseego 8800L
- # of Connected Devices: 15 Wi-Fi / Supports USB Tethering
- Control Panel and Default Password:
- USB Tethering Support:
- WiFiRanger Tethering: Works Great
- Pepwave Tethering: Works Great (except for Surf On-The-Go)
- Networks supported:
- Verizon LTE Bands: 2, 4, 5, 13, 66
- Global Roaming on LTE Bands: 3, 7, 20, 28
- LAA Bands: 46, 48 (CBRS)
- FirstNet: Band 14 (requires a FirstNet Plan to utilize)
- 4G/3G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz - Global roaming supported.
- 3G: NO support for Legacy Verizon CDMA network
- 2G: GSM EDGE - Quad-band global roaming.
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes, including LAA
- MIMO Support: 4X4 internal, and 2X2 external
- LTE Performance Category: Category 18 (Max Theoretical Speed: 1200Mbps Down / 150Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports:
- 2x TS9 'Test Ports' (not official antenna ports), overwrites internal 4x4 MIMO antennas
- Right port is the primary port, for uploads.
- Other Ports: USB-C
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n/a/ac - Simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Simultaneous 2.4GHz/5GHz Range (reported): 50-70ft
- 5GHz Range (reported): 40-50ft
- Claimed Battery Life: 24 hours hotspot usage, multiple days standby
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: No
- Battery Part #: 40123117
- Battery Purchase
- Dimensions: 4.5" x 2.8" x 0.75" / 5.71 oz
- SIM Card Type: 4FF / Nano SIM
- Retail Price: $199.99 / $99.99 (w/ 2-year contract)
There is One (Minor) Downgrade...
One difference of note compared to the MiFi 7730L is that the MiFi 8800L drops support for CDMA cellular technology - which means that it is NOT compatible with Verizon's legacy 3G network. This would have been a major red flag a few years ago, but it is growing extremely rare to find areas where Verizon has 3G and no LTE coverage.
But if you do know that you will be spending time in any of these places - do keep this in mind before upgrading.
Review & Testing Status
We have has the 8800L in testing since it came out. Our initial review & tutorial is posted below for our members.
Our members are also encouraged to actively share their experiences in the comments.
Content included in the member area below:
- Favorite Features & Potential Downsides
- Verizon Hotspot Comparison Grid
- Hardware Features Explained
- Hands on Testing Results
- Tethering Compatibility
- Battery Life
- Performance Testing Comparison to 7730L
- Raw Initial Observations
- Software & User Interface
- Recommended Settings
- Outstanding Issues
- Reboots and Connection Drop-Outs
- Getting a 8800L
- Video Tour & Tutorial
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
More Information Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to any further notes, analysis, insider info, member experiences and/or our full in-depth review of this product or offering.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
To purchase a replacement battery:
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.