Google Fi Wireless, formerly known as Google Fi or Project Fi, is an MVNO that uses T-Mobile paired with Wi-Fi hotspots included as part of its wireless service.
In May 2022, Google Fi added the W+ network, a collection of secure Wi-Fi networks that are treated as part if its "data network". W+ data counts in your data plan, and you must have a device specifically designed for Fi.
When first introduced, the Google Fi plan also utilized the Sprint and USCellular networks. But T-Mobile purchased Sprint in 2020, and Google Fi stopped using the USCellular network in March 2023.
Google Fi Plan Information
There are several Android phones that were designed specifically to work on Fi, but most currently popular phones are also compatible with Fi. You can get more information on phone compatibility on their website. While the list of compatible phones is now greatly expanded, not all phones can take advantage of Google Fi Wireless's multi-carrier switching, use over Wi-Fi, W+, and international features.
Currently Available Plans:
- Unlimited Plus - $65/month
- Simply Unlimited - $50/month
- Flexible - $20/line/month + $10/GB
Google Fi isn't the most attractive plan for heavy data users, but offers two very flexible options to carry multiple cellular providers in one plan, and easy International use. Both the Unlimited Plus and Flexible plans could be ideal as backup options if you carry AT&T and Verizon as your primary carriers, or if you do some international adventuring.
- Data-Only SIM Option: Customers with Unlimited Plus or Flexible Plans can receive a SIM to use in a data device at no charge - which will share data with their phone plan
- Carrier Networks Used: T-Mobile
- Carrier Relationship: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Phone, Tablets, Hotspots, Routers
- Device Types Permitted: Any, but there is a limited set of fully compatible phones that can take advantage of all of Fi's features. Compatible iPhones have limitations.
- Unlimited Plus - Yes, but high speed capped at 50GB, then speeds are reduced to 256kbps.
- Simply Unlimited - Yes, but high speed capped at 35GB, then speeds are reduced to 256kbps.
- Flexible - After you purchase 6GB of data in a month, you get "unlimited" free high-speed data up to 15GB, then speeds are reduced to 256kbps.
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Unlimited Plus - All data can be used as hotspot data
- Simply Unlimited - 5GB
- Flexible - $10/GB
- Unlimited Plus - 50GB
- Simply Unlimited - 35GB
- Flexible - 15GB
- Network Management: Yes
- Video Streaming Resolution: 480p
- 5G Access: Yes, on phones that work with Fi and are compatible with T-Mobile’s 5G network.
- Note: 5G coverage for iPhone isn't supported on Fi. The iPhone 12 series and up are supported by Fi’s 4G network.
- eSIM: Yes
- Device Purchase Required: No
- Plan Period: Month
- International Roaming:
- Unlimited Plus offers high-speed data in over 200 countries is included at no extra charge
- Simply Unlimited data is available for use in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only.
- Flexible Plan - international data can be added for $10/GB.
- The majority of your data should be used within the U.S., or you risk the possibility of termination
- International mobile hotspot and sending texts over Wi-Fi is unsupported when using an iPhone
- Google Fi does not specify what the threshold is for how long you can use the service without termination, but it seems 30-day notices are going about after about 1-2 months.
- Domestic Roaming: Yes
- Data Roll Over: On Unlimited Plan, no. On Flexible Plan, you pay for data as you use it.
- Overage Charges: Speeds are reduced after caps are met, but additional high-speed data can be added for $10/GB
- Lines Permitted Per Account: 6
- Extras: 'Family Features' - a set of features designed to help those with multiple lines on an account manage those lines. This permits you to block calls & texts from those not on your contact list, create data budgets that alert you when a certain amount of data is used and allows you to set data caps for high-speed use, and limit screentime via the service.