Google Fi, formerly known as Project Fi, is a unique cellular service that uses T-Mobile and US Cellular (a regional carrier) cellular networks paired with Wi-Fi hotspots - automatically picking the best partner wherever you happen to be. In May 2022, Google Fi added the W+ network, a collection of secure Wi-Fi networks that are treated as part if its "data network". W+ data counts in your data plan, and you must have a designed for Fi device.
There are several Android phones that were designed specifically to work on Fi, but most currently popular phones are also compatible with Fi. You can get more information on phone compatibility on their website. While the list of compatible phones is now greatly expanded, not all phones can take advantage of Google Fi's multi-carrier switching, use over Wi-Fi, W+, and international features.
Currently Available Plans:
- Unlimited Plus - $65/month
- Simply Unlimited - $50/month
- Flexible - $20/line/month + $10/GB
Google Fi isn't the most attractive plan for heavy data users, but offers two very flexible options to carry multiple cellular providers in one plan, and easy International use. Both the Unlimited Plus and Flexible plans could be ideal as backup options if you carry AT&T and Verizon as your primary carriers, or if you do some international adventuring.
- Data-Only SIM Option: Customers with Unlimited Plus or Flexible Plans can receive a SIM to use in a data device at no charge - which will share data with their phone plan
- Carrier Networks Used: T-Mobile, US Cellular
- Carrier Relationship: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Phone, Tablets, Hotspots, Routers
- Device Types Permitted: Any, but there is a limited set of fully compatible phones that can take advantage of all of Fi's features. Compatible iPhones have limitations - one of which is that only T-Mobile service is used in the U.S.
- Unlimited Plus - Yes, but high speed capped at 50GB
- Simply Unlimited - Yes, but high speed capped at 35GB
- Flexible - After you purchase 6GB of data in a month, you get "unlimited" free high-speed data up to 15GB, then speeds are reduced to 256k.
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Unlimited Plus - All data can be used as hotspot data
- Simply Unlimited - 5GB
- Flexible - $10/GB
- Unlimited Plus - 50GB
- Simply Unlimited - 35GB
- Flexible - 15GB
- Network Management: Yes
- Video Streaming Resolution: 480p
- 5G Access: Yes, on phones that work with FI and are compatible with T-Mobile’s 5G network.
- Device Purchase Required: No
- Plan Period: Month
- International Roaming:
- Unlimited Plus offers high-speed data in over 200 countries is included at no extra charge
- Simply Unlimited data is available for use in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only.
- The majority of your data should be used within the U.S., or you risk the possibility of termination
- International mobile hotspot and sending texts over Wi-Fi is unsupported when using an iPhone
- Google Fi does not specify what the threshold is for how long you can use the service without termination, but it seems 30-day notices are going about after about 1-2 months.
- Domestic Roaming: Yes
- Data Roll Over: On Unlimited Plan, no. On Flexible Plan, you pay for data as you use it.
- Overage Charges: Speeds are reduced after caps are met, but additional high-speed data can be added for $10/GB
- Lines Permitted Per Account: 6
- Extras: 'Family Features' - a set of features designed to help those with multiple lines on an account manage those lines. This permits you to block calls & texts from those not on your contact list, create data budgets that alert you when a certain amount of data is used and allows you to set data caps for high-speed use, and limit screentime via the service.
News, Videos & Status:
Related News Center Articles:
- Google Fi Increases Data Limits, Lowers Price on Unlimited Plus and Simply Unlimited Plans Posted on: April 11, 2022
- Google Fi Adds Simply Unlimited Smartphone Plan: 22GB High-Speed Data On Device Only Posted on: April 22, 2021
- Google Fi Promo: 50% Off 'Unlimited' Plan for First 3 Months for New Customers Posted on: February 19, 2021
- Google Fi Rolls Out eSIM Support For All Customers Posted on: May 19, 2020
- Google Fi Enforcing Restrictions on International Data Use Posted on: January 27, 2020
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer). We request vendors give our members bigger discounts instead of giving us affiliate kickbacks.
Member Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our MIAs get special discounts from these vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. Some vendors offer up to 10% off - you could save more than the cost of your membership on major purchases.
Shopping for Cellular Data Plans
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Here's our video going over ways to get LOTS of data for use in your travels:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. You also need the right gear, signal enhancing strategy and planning your travels around the options you carry with you. Head on over to our collection of guides:
Top Data Plan Picks
Our constantly updated list of the BEST data plans.
Which Carrier is Best?
Is Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Dish best for your travels?
Selecting Data Plans
Our deep dive into understanding data plans and shopping for them.
Data Plan Pricing Grid
Our always updated spreadsheet comparing all data plans suitable for mobile internet.
Getting LOTS of the Data
Learn how to get lots of cellular data in your mobile internet arsenal.