Google Fi, formerly known as Project Fi, is a unique cellular service that uses Sprint, T-Mobile, and US Cellular (a regional carrier) cellular networks paired with Wi-Fi hotspots - automatically picking the best partner wherever you happen to be.
There are several Android phones that were designed specifically to work on Fi, but most currently popular phones are also compatible with Fi. You can get more information on phone compatibility here. While the list of compatible phones is now greatly expanded, not all phones can take advantage of Google Fi's multi-carrier switching, use over Wi-Fi, and international features.
Currently Available Plans:
- Unlimited Plus - $70/month **TOP PICK**
- Simply Unlimited - $60/month
- Flexible - $20/line/month + $10/GB **TOP PICK**
Top Pick Notes: Google Fi isn't the most attractive plan for heavy data users, but offers two very flexible options to carry 3 cellular provides in one plan, and easy International use. Both the Unlimited Plus and Flexible plans could be ideal as backup options if you carry AT&T and Verizon as your primary carriers, or if you do some international adventuring.
- Data-Only SIM Option: Customers with Unlimited Plus or Flexible Plans can receive a SIM to use in a data device at no charge - which will share data with their phone plan
- Carrier Networks Used: T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular
- Carrier Relationship: MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Phone, Tablets, Hotspots, Routers
- Device Types Permitted: Any, but there is a limited set of fully compatible phones that can take advantage of all of Fi's features. Compatible iPhones have limitations - one of which is that only T-Mobile service is used in the U.S.
- Unlimited Plus - Yes, but high speed capped at 22GB
- Simply Unlimited - Yes, but high speed capped at 22GB
- Flexible - After you purchase 6GB of data in a month, you get "unlimited" free high-speed data up to 15GB, then speeds are reduced to 256k.
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes
- Unlimited Plus - 22GB
- Simply Unlimited - 22GB
- Flexible - 15GB
- Network Management: Yes
- Video Streaming Resolution: 480p
- 5G Access: Yes, on phones that work with FI and are compatible with T-Mobile’s 5G network.
- Device Purchase Required: No
- Plan Period: Month
- International Roaming: Yes, high-speed data in over 200 countries is included at no extra charge
- The majority of your data should be used within the U.S., or you risk the possibility of termination
- International mobile hotspot and sending texts over Wi-Fi is unsupported when using an iPhone
- Google Fi does not specify what the threshold is for how long you can use the service without termination, but we have seen reports of threats of termination after 5 months of international travel
- Domestic Roaming: Yes
- Data Roll Over: On Unlimited Plan, no. On Flexible Plan, you pay for data as you use it.
- Overage Charges: Speeds are reduced after caps are met, but additional high-speed data can be added for $10/GB
- Lines Permitted Per Account: 6
- Extras: 'Family Features' - a set of features designed to help those with multiple lines on an account manage those lines. This permits you to block calls & texts from those not on your contact list, create data budgets that alert you when a certain amount of data is used and allows you to set data caps for high-speed use, and limit screentime via the service.
News, Videos & Status:
Related News Center Articles:
- Google Fi Adds Simply Unlimited Smartphone Plan: 22GB High-Speed Data On Device Only Posted on: April 22, 2021
- Google Fi Promo: 50% Off 'Unlimited' Plan for First 3 Months for New Customers Posted on: February 19, 2021
- Google Fi Rolls Out eSIM Support For All Customers Posted on: May 19, 2020
- Google Fi Enforcing Restrictions on International Data Use Posted on: January 27, 2020
- Google Fi Rolls Out "Dual Connect" Technology Posted on: October 26, 2019
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier, and we do not endorse any specific vendor. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
Shopping for Cellular Data Plans
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Understanding the different plan terms (like network management, throttling, hotspot data, video resolution) is key to determining if a plan will meet your needs or not. You also need plans that are suitable for use in the device you want to use them in - such as smartphone, mobile hotspot device or cellular embedded router.
To learn more about shopping for dataplans, check out these key guides:
As heavily as the carriers push their "Unlimited' data plans - you'll quickly discover that most have limits. Here's a video going over what you need to know about unlimited plans, including 3rd party resellers plans that you might find on the internet:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online - it's only one part of the equation. You also need the right gear and signal enhancing strategy.
For more education on assembling a cellular centric mobile internet setup, head on over to our collection of guides: