- The premium data limits on the Unlimited Plus and Simply Unlimited plans have increased from their previous limit of 22GB
- Simply Unlimited now comes with hotspot data
- Pricing for both plans was lowered
Google Fi, formerly known as Project Fi, is a unique cellular service that uses T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular (a regional carrier) cellular networks paired with Wi-Fi hotspots - automatically picking the best partner wherever you happen to be.
Recently Google Fi made some adjustments to its plans and prices.
Table of Contents
Google Fi Plan Changes Video
Unlimited Plus and Simply Unlimited Changes
On April 8, 2022, Google Fi changed the pricing and details of their Unlimited Plus and Simply Unlimited phone plans - by increasing data limits and lowering the monthly charge.
The Unlimited Plus plan now comes with 50GB of premium data per month for $65/month. Previously the premium data limit was only 22GB, and the monthly charge was $70/month. All data on this plan can be used as mobile hotspot data, as was previously the case.
The Simply Unlimited Plan now comes with 35GB of premium data per month for $50/month. Previously the premium data limit was 22GB, and the monthly charge was $60/month. The other change with SImply Unlimited is that it now has 5GB of mobile hotspot data, whereas before this plan did not have the hotspot/tethering feature at all.
On both plans, speeds are throttled to 256 kbps once the premium data threshold is lowered.
These changes apply both to new customers, as well as existing customers who are already using Google Fi service. The new pricing and data thresholds will be automatically applied for existing customers, and we have seen reports of existing customers receiving emails with notification of the changes.
Other Google Fi Plans and Features
Google Fi also offers a Flexible phone plan that comes with a flat fee of $20/line/month. Data can be added to the plan for $10/GB. There are no changes to the pricing or terms of these plans.
One nice feature of the Google Fi Unlimited Plus plan is that it comes with the ability to use your data in over 200 countries at no additional charge. The Flexible plan can also be used in those same countries, but for $10/GB.
The Simply Unlimited Plan can only be used in Canada and Mexico.
We've long considered Google Fi to be one of our "Featured" plans because we like the multi-carrier coverage it provides, as well as the international coverage.
But the 22GB cap on premium data was disappointing.
So it was a nice change to see that Google Fi has increased the premium data limits, and added some mobile hotspot data to Simply Unlimited.
And the fact that they increased the data limits while simultaneously lowering the monthly rate was just the icing on the cake!
- Gear Center: Google Fi
- Guide: The Best Cellular Data Plans for RVers & Cruisers
- Guide: Which Cellular Carrier is Best for RV or Boat Mobile Internet?
- Google Fi No Longer Officially Using USCellular Network Posted on: March 22, 2023
- Google Fi Increases Data Limits, Lowers Price on Unlimited Plus and Simply Unlimited Plans Posted on: April 11, 2022
- Google Fi Adds Simply Unlimited Smartphone Plan: 22GB High-Speed Data On Device Only Posted on: April 22, 2021
- Google Fi Promo: 50% Off 'Unlimited' Plan for First 3 Months for New Customers Posted on: February 19, 2021
- Google Fi Rolls Out eSIM Support For All Customers Posted on: May 19, 2020