The Family Motorcoach Association offers two data plans to their members that may be of interest to RVers. One is on Verizon and one is on Sprint.
This guide focuses on the Verizon based data plan offered by FMCA.
This plan is only available to FMCA members, and membership is limited to owners of self-contained RVs only.
FMCA Verizon Plan
- The plan includes the current flagship mobile hotspot device purchased upfront for a penny.
- This member only plan requires a minimum of 2 years remaining on the membership. This qualification is automatically checked before sign-up via their website.
- For a new FMCA member, this is an upfront $160 cost to join for two years. Be sure to proceed immediately to sign up for the Verizon plan the same day, or risk no longer meeting the requirements of having 2 years left on your membership.
- Existing members who have less than a year of membership left will need to renew for 2-years to qualify, a $150 expense.
- Once you meet the FMCA membership qualifications, you then will be handed off to Verizon to setup the plan. They will require a 2-year contract with a $175 pro-rated early termination fee should you cancel before hand.
For Our Comparative Pricing Grid:
Guide to Cellular Data Plan Pricing
We do not keep an FMCA Verizon data plan in our arsenal.
Policies & Perks:
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon
- Carrier Relation: Directly Partnered MVNO
- Price: $49.99/month PLUS taxes & fees, no activation fee
- Plan Types Available: Hotspot
- Device Types Permitted: Hotspot
- Device Purchase Required: Yes
- Mobile Hotspot Use: All
- Throttling: 2G speeds after 25GB
- Network Management: None
- International Roaming: No international usage is included.
- Domestic Roaming: Yes
- Plan Period: 2 Years
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Streaming: Video streaming is capped at 720p, like all Verizon plans.
- Unlimited: Technically, although only 25GB is at high-speed
- Lines permitted per account: 1
Full Release Details
In March 2018, TheMGRV.com tracked their plan and shared a graph showing the hard throttling immediately after crossing 25GB of usage:
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
Getting the Plan
You must contact FMCA by calling Member Services at (800) 543-3622 or online at FMCA.com.
For the Verizon plan specifically, after you have confirmed or renewed your FMCA membership, you can proceed to their Verizon Sign Up page - which will direct you to Verizon to set your plan up. Be sure to use the same e-mail address your FMCA membership is under so that you can be verified. You'll then be dealing directly with Verizon at this point, and need to pass their account qualifications - including a credit check.
Any special requests (such as adding the line to an existing account, not purchasing a Jetpack you might not need) should be directed to the carrier.
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.