The Family Motorcoach Association offers two data plans to their members that may be of interest to RVers. One is on Verizon and one is on Sprint.
This guide focuses on the Verizon based data plan offered by FMCA.
This plan is only available to FMCA members.
FMCA Verizon Plan Information
- The plan includes the current flagship mobile hotspot device purchased upfront for a penny.
- This member only plan requires a minimum of 2 years remaining on the membership. This qualification is automatically checked before sign-up via their website.
- For a new FMCA member, this is an upfront $160 cost to join for two years. Be sure to sign up for the Verizon plan within 30-days, or risk no longer meeting the requirements of having 2 years left on your membership.
- Existing members who have less than 11-months of membership left will need to renew for 2-years to qualify, a $145 expense.
- Once you meet the FMCA membership qualifications, you then will be handed off to Verizon to setup the plan. They will require a 2-year contract with a $175 pro-rated early termination fee should you cancel before hand.
Currently Available Plan:
- 25GB - $49.99/month
- Carrier Networks Used: Verizon
- Carrier Relationship: Directly Partnered MVNO
- Plan Types Available: Hotspot
- Device Types Permitted: Hotspot
- Unlimited: Technically, although only 25GB is at high-speed
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: All
- Throttling: 2G speeds after 25GB
- Network Management: None
- Video Streaming Resolution: 720p
- 5G Access: No
- Device Purchase Required: Yes
- Plan Period: 2 Years
- International Roaming: No international usage is included.
- Domestic Roaming: Yes
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Lines permitted per account: 1
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
Related News & Videos:
- FMCA Tries Again: New Verizon "Unlimited" 25GB Plan Announced Posted on: November 8, 2017
- Verizon Pulls The Plug: FMCA's Insanely Good Verizon Unlimited Hotspot Deal WAS Too Good To Be True Posted on: June 19, 2017
- FMCA Rolls Out Unlimited Verizon Hotspot Plan Posted on: June 13, 2017
We advise anyone considering this plan to consider it a 25GB plan, not anything closely resembling "unlimited".
Throttling Updates: We have a confirmed report in December 2018 from a member who went with this plan, and has reported the moment they passed 25GB they were hard throttled to .09 kbps (in the same location, they had been getting 15 mbps). We've had dozens of similar reports since.
In March 2018, TheMGRV.com tracked their plan and shared a graph showing the hard throttling immediately after crossing 25GB of usage:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Getting the Plan
You must contact FMCA by calling Member Services at (800) 543-3622 or online at FMCA.com.
For the Verizon plan specifically, after you have confirmed or renewed your FMCA membership, you can proceed to their Verizon Sign Up page - which will direct you to Verizon to set your plan up. Be sure to use the same e-mail address your FMCA membership is under so that you can be verified. You'll then be dealing directly with Verizon at this point, and need to pass their account qualifications - including a credit check.
Any special requests (such as adding the line to an existing account, not purchasing a Jetpack you might not need) should be directed to the carrier.
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.