U.S. Cellular is the the largest regional carrier in the U.S. Their prime market concentration is in the Pacific Northwest, Midwest, New England, and a few other scattered areas.
Though U.S. Cellular has always offered its customers nationwide coverage via roaming agreements, you must have a home address in one of U.S. Cellular's home markets to sign up for service. If you spend too much time roaming your service will get cancelled - making U.S. Cellular a poor choice for most nomads.
In addition, U.S. Cellular has specifically prohibited the mobile use of their 'big bucket' Rural Home Internet plans.
They have both postpaid & prepaid options. They offer both phone and cellular home internet (data only) plans.
Currently Available Plans:
- Unlimited Data Even Better: $75/month
- Unlimited Data Everyday: $65/month
- Unlimited Data Basic: $55/month
- Unlimited Plus: $65/month
- Unlimited: $55/month
- 5GB: $40/month
- Carrier Networks Used: U.S. Cellular
- Carrier Relationship: Direct
- Plan Types Available: Phone, Data Only
- Device Types Permitted: Plan dependent
- Unlimited: Yes with high speed caps
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Even Better: 30GB
- Everyday: 15GB
- Prepaid Unlimited Plus: No limit, but speed capped at 1.5Mbps
- Throttling: None, except for 5GB plan
- Network Management: Always
- Video Streaming Resolution:
- Even Better: 1080p
- Everyday: 720p
- Basic: 480p
- Prepaid plans: 480p
- 5G Access: Planned for 2021
- Device Purchase Required: No
- Plan Period: Monthly
- International Roaming: Yes, varies by account
- Domestic Roaming: Yes
- Data Roll Over: None
- Overage Charges: No
- Lines permitted per account: 10 for consumers, 25 for businesses.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
Related News & Videos
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.