Sprint’s biggest advantage is that it tends to have the most affordable options, especially the promotional plans offered to lure new customers.
The vast bulk of Sprint’s usable fast data coverage is pretty much only found in core urban areas and along major interstates. Sprint prepaid plans do not include any data roaming allowance.
Their weaknesses: Their network is not nearly as large as Verizon or AT&T, and is roaming in most places outside of urban areas or off interstates. In 2016, they are trying to minimize their operating costs and will be moving their equipment to less expensive towers - which may result in service disruptions, and potentially reduced coverage.
Policies & Perks:
- Domestic Roaming: Sprint prepaid plans include no data roaming.
- International: No international coverage is included on Sprint's prepaid plans.
- Mobile Hotspot Use: All Sprint prepaid plans include mobile hotspot use. The Boost Mobile unlimited smartphone data plan includes 8GB of mobile hotspot usage a month.
- Standalone Hotspot Plans: Boost offers standalone hotspot plans with capped data limits.
- Data Roll Over: Sprint does not roll over data - you lose what you don't use at the end of your billing period.
- Overage Charges: Boost Mobile smartphone plans do not charges overage fees. Once you hit your high speed data cap, you are just simply slowed down to 2G speeds for the rest of the billing period. With their mobile hotspot plans, service simply ends.
- Streaming: Boost Mobile includes music streaming without counting against data limits.
- Unlimited Data Plans: Unlimited on device data, with 8GB mobile hotspot included. Network management kicks in at 23GB.
- Device Lock/Unlock Policy: The phone must have been used on Boost mobile for 12 months. Also, good luck. Their unlock policies are shifty and unclear.
Testing Status: We do not keep a prepaid Sprint plan in our testing arsenal.
- New Data Deal: Sprint-Based Boost Mobile Offers HD Streaming and 20GB Hotspot for a Limited Time Posted on: February 9, 2018
- New Data Deals: T-Mobile Family Plans & Sprint Based Boost Mobile Adds Mobile Hotspot Posted on: February 3, 2016
- Sprint Tower Cost-Cutting Leads to Fears of Service Interruptions, Reduced Coverage Posted on: January 21, 2016
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
Boost Mobile Ratings
Sprint's network is consistently ranks last amongst the four major carriers, and isn't an ideal carrier for RVers who venture outside of major urban areas.