Sierra Wireless is a leading provider of cellular modules designed to provide cellular connectivity for a varies of industries, including automotive, transit, emergency services, smart home, and PC/Tablet manufacturers.
But Sierra Wireless also offers its own line of cellular-embedded modems to businesses and consumers. Although primarily designed for emergency services, transportation and IoT (Internet of Things) uses, their modems can be a legitimate choice as the center for a mobile arsenal with enterprise-level features comparable to Pepwave and Cradlepoint.
The router product line is divided into two categories:
- Performance Series: Ruggedized routers for extreme conditions, including exposed outdoor locations
- Essential Series: The standard line for indoor and protected locations
A full comparison chart listing all the models is on the Sierra Wireless website.
These modems are designed for specific applications and therefore do not have some features that are more common on mobile routers:
- USB Tethering: Also almost all the routers have USB ports, there is no documentation indicating that they support USB tethering of smartphones or mobile hotspots.
- Wi-Fi-as-WAN: Some models do have very capable dual Wi-Fi radios, but they do not support Wi-Fi-as-WAN.
- MG90 - ($1599-$1899)Offers up to two Category 6 or 12 modems supporting 4 SIM cards with dual concurrent 3x3 MIMO 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and 5-port Gigabit Ethernet.
- MP70 - ($799-$899) Single Cat 6 or 12 modem with two SIM cards, 4-port Gigabit Ethernet and optional 3X3 MIMO 802.11ac Wi-Fi.
- RV55 - ($689-$789) Single Cat 12 modem with two SIM cards, 1-port Gigabit Ethernet and optional 1x1 SISO 802.11ac Wi-Fi.
- RV50x - ($589) Single Cat 6 modem with two SIM cards, 1-port Gigabit Ethernet. Wi-Fi not available.
- GX450 - ($699)Single Cat 3 modem with one SIM card, 1-port FAST Ethernet and optional 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi.
- LX60 - ($469) Single Cat 4 modem with one SIM slot, 2-port Gigabit Ethernet and optional 1x1 SISO 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- LX40 - ($349) Single Cat 4 modem with one SIM slot, 1-port Gigabit Ethernet (POE) and optional 1x1 SISO 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- ES450 - ($499) Single Cat 3 modem with one SIM card, 1-port FAST Ethernet and optional 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi.
News, Videos & Status
We have not tested any Sierra Wireless routers.
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile routers on the market we are tracking - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.