The RV IT Guy is a vendor that provides remote technical support services targeted to the RV, cruising, nomad and related communities. They also offer unlimited data plans in conjunction with their technical support service.
The service includes a pre-configured tech support "beacon" that acts as a Wi-Fi router and contains troubleshooting tools. The beacon allows US-based IT professionals to remotely troubleshoot devices on the customer's network. Customers with problems or technical difficulties can flip the help switch on the beacon, or call The RV IT Guy operations center for remote troubleshooting and assistance.
The service is subscription-based month-to-month service with no contract. The set-up price includes rental of the "beacon" so there is no equipment to purchase. When a customer cancels service, the RV IT Guy will send the customer a shipping label to return the beacon.
The following options are available:
- $59/month (+ one-time $75 setup fee): Base service that includes remote IT support and a beacon to use with your existing internet connection.
- $99/month (+ one-time $75 setup fee): The same beacon but with an included cellular USB modem and unlimited data plan on AT&T or T-Mobile. Free VPN included.
- $99/month (+ one-time $195 setup fee): The base IT support service, a T-Mobile or AT&T Unlimited data plan, and a choice of one of two advanced beacons with integrated cellular routers. Free VPN included.
- Carrier Networks Used: T-Mobile or AT&T
- Carrier Relation: Reseller
- Plan Types Available: Data Only
- Device Types Permitted: Proprietary router
- Device Purchase Required: No, the device is included with the service
- Mobile Hotspot / Tethering Use: Yes
- Throttling: None on either plan
- Network Management:
- T-Mobile Option: 50GB
- AT&T Option: 22GB
- International Roaming:
- T-Mobile Option: 5GB LTE data per billing period in Canada/Mexico
- AT&T Option: Full data use in Mexico - none in Canada
- Domestic Roaming: T-Mobile plan offers some domestic roaming.
- Plan Period: monthly
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Streaming Throttles: Streaming is restricted to 480p (SD) on either plan.
- Unlimited: Yes
Review & Testing Status
We have not tested this service
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other featured cellular data plans ideal for RVers and Crusiers - here's some other options to consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content
We are honored to be able to present the above overview for free without 3rd party advertising or sponsorships. We are not paid by the manufacturer of this product to provide this listing or review, and nor are we selling this equipment or plan (purchasing links are provided below as a courtesy and some may be affiliates).
Our members have funded this resource center and any extensive hands on time
we have spent with the product to review it.
The in-depth portions of this review are made available to them which might contain: hands on testing notes, field testing data, user interface tour, product analysis, comparison to alternatives, setup tips, video tutorial, insider tips, vendor discounts and fellow member experiences.
If you're a member, please log in to continue with this review.
If you're not a member.. please consider joining us!
(Members, be sure to check your discounts for a special set-up offer)
Related News Articles:
Selecting the right cellular data plan for your mobile internet needs is only one part of the equation. Here's some further guides on understanding the selection process as well as the additional gear you might need.