The RV IT Guy is a vendor that provides remote technical support services targeted to the RV, cruising, nomad, and related communities. They also offer unlimited data plans in conjunction with their technical support service.
The service includes a pre-configured tech support "beacon" that acts as a Wi-Fi router and contains troubleshooting tools. The beacon allows US-based IT professionals to remotely troubleshoot devices on the customer's network. Customers with problems or technical difficulties can flip the help switch on the beacon, or call The RV IT Guy operations center for remote troubleshooting and assistance.
The service is subscription-based month-to-month service with no contract. The set-up price includes rental of the "beacon" so there is no equipment to purchase. When a customer cancels service, the RV IT Guy will send the customer a shipping label to return the beacon.
Currently Available Plans:
- $59/month (+ one-time $75 setup fee): Base service that includes remote IT support and a beacon to use with your existing internet connection.
- $99/month (+ one-time $75 setup fee): The same beacon but with an included cellular USB modem and unlimited data plan on AT&T or T-Mobile. Free VPN included.
- $99/month (+ one-time $195 setup fee): The base IT support service, a T-Mobile or AT&T Unlimited data plan, and a choice of one of two advanced beacons with integrated cellular routers. Free VPN included.
- Carrier Networks Used: T-Mobile or AT&T
- Carrier Relationship: Reseller
- Plan Types Available: Data Only
- Device Types Permitted: Proprietary router
- Unlimited: Yes
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes
- Throttling: None on either plan
- Network Management:
- T-Mobile Option: 50GB
- AT&T Option: 22GB
- Video Streaming Resolution: 480p
- 5G Access: No
- Device Purchase Required: No, the device is included with the service
- Plan Period: monthly
- International Roaming:
- T-Mobile Option: 5GB LTE data per billing period in Canada/Mexico
- AT&T Option: Full data use in Mexico - none in Canada
- Domestic Roaming: T-Mobile plan offers some domestic roaming.
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Lines permitted per account: One
- Extras: None
News, Videos, & Status
Shopping for Cellular Data Plans
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Here's our video going over ways to get LOTS of data for use in your travels:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. You also need the right gear, signal enhancing strategy and planning your travels around the options you carry with you. Head on over to our collection of guides:
Top Data Plan Picks
Our constantly updated list of the BEST data plans.
Which Carrier is Best?
Is Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint best for your travels?
Selecting Data Plans
Our deep dive into understanding data plans and shopping for them.
Data Plan Pricing Grid
Our always updated spreadsheet comparing all data plans suitable for mobile internet.
Getting LOTS of the Data
Learn how to get lots of cellular data in your mobile internet arsenal.
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer). We request vendors give our members bigger discounts instead of giving us affiliate kickbacks.
Member Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our MIAs get special discounts from these vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. Some vendors offer up to 10% off - you could save more than the cost of your membership on major purchases.