The RV IT Guy is a vendor that provides remote technical support services targeted to the RV, cruising, nomad and related communities. They also offer unlimited data plans in conjunction with their technical support service.
The service includes a pre-configured tech support "beacon" that acts as a Wi-Fi router and contains troubleshooting tools. The beacon allows US-based IT professionals to remotely troubleshoot devices on the customer's network. Customers with problems or technical difficulties can flip the help switch on the beacon, or call The RV IT Guy operations center for remote troubleshooting and assistance.
The service is subscription-based month-to-month service with no contract. The set-up price includes rental of the "beacon" so there is no equipment to purchase. When a customer cancels service, the RV IT Guy will send the customer a shipping label to return the beacon.
Currently Available Plans:
- $59/month (+ one-time $75 setup fee): Base service that includes remote IT support and a beacon to use with your existing internet connection.
- $99/month (+ one-time $75 setup fee): The same beacon but with an included cellular USB modem and unlimited data plan on AT&T or T-Mobile. Free VPN included.
- $99/month (+ one-time $195 setup fee): The base IT support service, a T-Mobile or AT&T Unlimited data plan, and a choice of one of two advanced beacons with integrated cellular routers. Free VPN included.
- Carrier Networks Used: T-Mobile or AT&T
- Carrier Relationship: Reseller
- Plan Types Available: Data Only
- Device Types Permitted: Proprietary router
- Unlimited: Yes
- High Speed Mobile Hotspot Use: Yes
- Throttling: None on either plan
- Network Management:
- T-Mobile Option: 50GB
- AT&T Option: 22GB
- Video Streaming Resolution: 480p
- 5G Access: No
- Device Purchase Required: No, the device is included with the service
- Plan Period: monthly
- International Roaming:
- T-Mobile Option: 5GB LTE data per billing period in Canada/Mexico
- AT&T Option: Full data use in Mexico - none in Canada
- Domestic Roaming: T-Mobile plan offers some domestic roaming.
- Data Roll Over: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Lines permitted per account: One
- Extras: None
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
Related News & Videos:
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Understanding the different plan terms (like network management, throttling, hotspot data, video resolution) is key to determining if a plan will meet your needs or not. You also need plans that are suitable for use in the device you want to use them in - such as smartphone, mobile hotspot device or cellular embedded router.
To learn more about shopping for dataplans, check out these key guides:
Here's a video going over the 'limits' on so-called 'unlimited' data plans:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. For more education on assembling a cellular centric mobile internet setup, head on over to our collection of guides to help with selecting gear and your signal enhancing strategy:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
(Members, be sure to check your discounts for a special set-up offer)