Boost Mobile originally was a subsidiary of Sprint, but they were sold to Dish in July 2020 as part of the T-Mobile/Sprint merger. As part of the government's approval of the merger and sale, Dish is required to have a network that covers 70% of the U.S. by June 14, 2023.
As of June 1st, 2021, Boost no longer activates customers on the Sprint network, instead activating directly on T-Mobile's network.
Currently Available Plans
- Go Unlimited
- 35GB highspeed with 30GB mobile hotspot data - $60/month
- 35GB highspeed with 12GB mobile hotspot data - $50/month
- Mix & Match Capped Data Plans
- 10GB - $35/month
- 5GB, 2GB, and 1GB plans - $10-25/month
- 12-Month Plan
- 15GB/month paid in one yearly installment of $240
- Bring Your Own Phone Plan
- 35GB - $40/month
- 35GB - $50/month (Must purchase the Boost Mobile Coolpad Stream data device)
Taxes and fees are not included in prices.
- Carrier Networks Used: Previously Sprint, but as of June 2021 new activations are on T-Mobile, but will be on Dish's network once it is built
- Carrier Relationship: Owned by Dish Network
- Plan Types Available: Phone, Data
- Device Types Permitted: Phones
- Unlimited: Yes, but with high-speed data caps
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- $60 Unlimited Plans - 30GB
- $50 Unlimited Plans - 12GB
- All other plans - all data can be used as hotspot
- Throttling: Yes
- Network Management: Yes
- Video Streaming Resolution:
- $60 Unlimited Plans - video up to 1080p, music up to 1.5 Mbps, gaming up to 8 Mbps
- $50 Unlimited Plans - video up to 480p+, music up to 500kbps, gaming up to 2 Mbps
- All other plans - 480p
- 5G Access: Yes, but unclear on which plans have access to it
- Device Purchase Required: Yes for hotspot plan only
- Plan Period: 30 days
- International Roaming: No. Mexico data services can be added at an additional cost.
- Domestic Roaming: Voice services only
- Data Roll Over: None
- Overage Charges: None
- Lines permitted per account: 5
- $60/35GB plan comes with K Health telemedicine services; other plans can add K Health for discounted rate of $7.99/month.
- Boost Perks reward program
- Boost TV offers various networks to stream via your device. The basic service is free, but you can access premium content add-ons for a fee. (Android phones only.)
- Unlimited music streaming if using one of the providers Boost has partnered with.
- A 6-month subscription to TIDAL music streaming service is included with the phone plans.
- The Privacy Premium add-on costs $5.99 per month and is available to customers only with Android smartphones and with data plans on Boost’s Expanded Data Network. Provides tools for encrypted Wi-Fi, visual voicemail, and spam call blocking.
News, Videos, & Status
Related News Stories
- Boost Mobile Running Promotion on $50 Go Unlimited Plan Posted on: January 12, 2021
- Boost Mobile Plan Changes Include a New 35GB High Speed Data Cap on Go Unlimited Phone Plans Posted on: August 13, 2020
- Cellular Carriers Add Extra Data in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic Posted on: March 24, 2020
- Virgin Mobile Ends USA Service Plans - Migrates Customers to Boost Mobile Posted on: January 7, 2020
- Shifting Landscape at FreedomPop, UNREAL, Ting & RedPocket Posted on: July 9, 2019
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier, and we do not endorse any specific vendor. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Here's our video going over ways to get LOTS of data for use in your travels:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online. You also need the right gear, signal enhancing strategy and planning your travels around the options you carry with you. Head on over to our collection of guides:
Top Data Plan Picks
Our constantly updated list of the BEST data plans.
Which Carrier is Best?
Is Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint best for your travels?
Selecting Data Plans
Our deep dive into understanding data plans and shopping for them.
Data Plan Pricing Grid
Our always updated spreadsheet comparing all data plans suitable for mobile internet.
Unliimted Data Plans
Learn about the limits on unlimited data plans (or rather: "unlimited").