AT&T is one of the major nationwide cellular carriers in the United States, and has many different plan offerings. With their vast network coverage, AT&T is commonly used a primary cellular option by full-time travelers.
AT&T postpaid direct offers unlimited call, text, and data phone plans, capped data phone plans, and data device based plans.
AT&T also offers plans for Business customers. To see the current Business Plan options, see our AT&T Postpaid Business entry.
Top Pick Notes: AT&T direct offers the following plans that we consider top picks that are worth focusing your research on:
AT&T Unlimited Tablet
- Device: Tablets
- Data: Unlimited On Device, 22GB Network Management, 10GB Hotspot
- Price: $20/mo
- Notes: Available standalone without other lines of service via AT&T consumer postpaid.
- More Info: View the 'Tablet' Tab On this Page
- Device: Smartphones
- Data: Unlimited On Device, No Network Management, 100GB Hotspot
- Price: $85/mo
- Notes: Only available for eligible businesses
- More Info: AT&T Business Plans
Consumer Unlimited Elite
- Device: Smartphones
- Data: Unlimited On Device, No Network Management, 40GB Hotspot
- Price: $85/mo
- More Info: View the 'Unlimited Smartphones Plans' Tab on this Page
For more plans that provide lots of data: Top Pick Data Plans Guide
Unlimited Smartphone Plans
AT&T's current unlimited plan offerings include three plans (see grid below for all pricing details). As of 9/25/2020, these fall under AT&T's "Unlimited Your Way" branding, which allows mix-and-match options to customize the plan for each line on an account. The top-tier Unlimited Elite plan is one of our Top Pick Data Plans.
- Unlimited Starter - $65/Single Line
- Unlimited Extra - $75/Single Line
- Unlimited Elite - $85/Single Line **TOP PICK**
Unlimited Plan Specifications:
- Carrier Networks Used: AT&T
- Carrier Relationship: Direct
- Plan Types Available: Smartphone
- Device Types Permitted: Smartphone, Tablets, Connected Cars, Wearables, Mobile hotspot devices, Laptops
- Unlimited: Yes
- High-Speed Mobile Hotspot Use:
- Unlimited Starter: No mobile hotspot data
- Unlimited Extra: 15GB per line (2G after cap)
- Unlimited Elite: Includes 40GB per line (2G after cap)
- Connected cars with built-in cellular wi-fi systems get unlimited mobile hotspot data.
- Mobile hotspot devices & laptops (add-on): 15GB/$25, then $10/2GB additional overage fee
- Tablets (add-on): No mobile hotspot data
- Throttling: Full speed on device, mobile hotspot throttles noted above
- Network Management:
- Unlimited Starter: After 22GB
- Unlimited Extra: After 50GB
- Unlimited Elite: None
- Video Streaming Resolution:
- Unlimited Starter: 480p
- Unlimited Extra: 480p
- Unlimited Elite: Up to 4K UHD
- Mobile Hotspot/Laptops: 720p
- 5G Access: Yes, no extra charges
- eSIM: Yes
- Device Purchase Required: No, but can purchase a device
- Plan Period: 30 days
- International Roaming:
- Domestic Roaming:
- Domestic data roaming limited to 400MB per month. If you exceed that, your data access may be shut down until you are back on AT&T native towers. Excessive domestic roaming can also lead to the permanent termination of roaming.
- Domestic roaming may be throttled to 2G speeds at all times.
- Data Rollover: No
- Overage Charges: No
- Lines permitted per account: 10
- Unlimited Elite Plan includes HBO Max
- Discount on DirecTV service.
Pricing Grid Comparison
AT&T Unlimited Tablet (**Top Pick**)
Tablets can be enabled as single lines of service at full price on AT&T's "unlimited" plans or added on to unlimited smartphone plans for just $20/month. However, when added as a line of service, they come with the features of the 'Starter' plan (480p video, no hotspot data, and always subject to network management.)
However, there's also a little known plan for just $20/month that includes unlimited data on tablets that can be purchased ala carte without other lines of service. It's assumed this plan is really there for adding on to accounts that have already reached their 10-line limit - but it still can be activated without other lines of service.
The plan has network management after 22GB of usage and includes 10GB of high-speed mobile hotspot use.
It is listed in AT&T's system as "AT&T Unlimited Tablet." It was previously listed as "Unlimited For iPad" and "Unlimited for Tablet". You'll have to find a rep who knows about this plan over the phone or in a corporate store to activate it on a cellular-enabled tablet.
While previous versions of this plan came with the ability to turn Stream Saver off and on, we have recently seen reports that newer versions of this plan do not have that option.
This is a post-paid plan for tablets only, and there is a $30 activation fee.
There are further notes in the member section below on this option.
These are the options available for LTE and 5G devices:
- 25GB for $60/month
- 40GB for $85/month
There is a $10/month discount if auto payment and e-billing is selected. This plan does not use shared data - a data allotment must be purchased for each device. Once the data limit is met, additional data will be automatically added at $10/2GB.
Connected Car & RV
These plans are offered for vehicles with built-in hotspots, such as GM's OnStar, Airstreams and Ford's SYNC systems. They also offer an aftermarket OBD-II device that is eligible for in-vehicle usage only. More information is available on the AT&T Connected Car website.
- Connected Car Unlimited Data: $20/month per car, for up to 3 cars
- Network Management after 22GB
- Includes roaming into Canada
- HarmanSpark (or other OBD-II devices)
- 5GB or 10GB plans
- Add to an existing Mobile Share Plan for $10/month
AT&T Wireless internet provides a traditional telephone line and data and are only eligible on AT&T's Wireless Internet devices (which are a combo cellular embedded router with phone jack). These plans can not be activated on other hotspots or routers.
While intended as a home or business internet solution, the plans and devices are mobile-friendly.
- 100GB for $100/month
- 50GB for $60/month
Info on these plans can be found here: AT&T Wireless Internet
Mobile Share Data
Mobile Share Data Plans (In-Store Only)
These plans include a shared data amount to share with up to 10 data-only devices. Smartphones are not eligible. Eligible devices include tablets, laptops, routers and hotspot devices.
There is a monthly plan charge plus a monthly device access charge for each data-only device on your account that will be using the plan. Monthly device access charges are determined by the type of data-only devices you add to the plan. Laptops, netbooks, and hotspots are $20/month, and tablets and gaming devices are $10/month.
Monthly plan charges are as follows:
FirstNet is AT&T's platform for first responders and the public safety community. You must be a first responder or in public safety in order to be eligible for these plans.
Those who may be in or associated with those communities can check eligibility at the FirstNet website.
Currently Available Plans
- Unlimited Enhanced (Smartphone) - $44.99/month (includes hotspot data)
- Unlimited Standard (Smartphone) - $39.99/month (no hotspot data)
- Unlimited for Data Only Devices - $40.00/month
- Unlimited for Wearable Devices - $25.00/month
News, Videos, & Status
Related News Stories
- AT&T Brings Back Hotspot Line Add-Ons (With Overage Fees!) - 15GB for $25, then $10 per 2GB Posted on: July 15, 2021
- AT&T Upgrades International Day Pass - $100/Month Cap Posted on: July 13, 2021
- AT&T Unlimited Elite for Consumers Update: New Benefit Upgrades for Free Posted on: July 12, 2021
- AT&T Rolls Out New Firmware Verison NTG9X50C_12.06.39.00_ATT_06.14 The Netgear MR1100 Nighthawk Posted on: July 6, 2021
- AT&T Increases Data Caps on DataConnect Plans Posted on: May 18, 2021
- AT&T Ends Sponsored Data Program - No More Data-Free Wireless Streaming With Some Services Posted on: March 17, 2021
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
Some of our TOP PICK Cellular Data Plans to also consider:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Member Exclusive Content/Review
- Thoughts & Analysis
- Deep Dive
- Data Plans in Routers
- Postpaid Unlimited Tablet Plan Notes
- Plan Policies
- Discounts Available
- Retired Plan Archives
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier, and we do not endorse any specific vendor. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
- AT&T - Unlimited Data Plans
- AT&T - Data Connect Plans
- AT&T - Mobile Share Plans
- AT&T - Connected Car Plan
- AT&T Wireless Home Internet Plans
Shopping for Cellular Data Plans
Finding the right plans for your needs is no easy task - quite simply mobile travelers using cellular data as their primary way online is not how most carriers have designed their plans. Many of us want plans that provide copious amounts of data.
Understanding the different plan terms (like network management, throttling, hotspot data, video resolution) is key to determining if a plan will meet your needs or not. You also need plans that are suitable for use in the device you want to use them in - such as smartphone, mobile hotspot device or cellular embedded router.
To learn more about shopping for dataplans, check out these key guides:
As heavily as the carriers push their "Unlimited' data plans - you'll quickly discover that most have limits. Here's a video going over what you need to know about unlimited plans, including 3rd party resellers plans that you might find on the internet:
But a data plan alone will not keep you online - it's only one part of the equation. You also need the right gear and signal enhancing strategy.
For more education on assembling a cellular centric mobile internet setup, head on over to our collection of guides: