The rumor-mills have been buzzing for a while now about Sprint attempting to buy T-Mobile - America's third largest carrier gobbling up the fourth.
According to the WSJ the deal is all but final, and a price tag of $32 billion has been agreed to. All that remains is to announce it publicly, and await shareholder and regulatory approval.
When AT&T attempted to buy T-Mobile in 2011, the deal failed to get approved by regulators, who thought that it would diminish competition too much.
It will be interesting to see if any of the same issues emerge this time around, especially since in the meantime T-Mobile has acquired the sixth largest carrier - Metro PCS.
(It can get confusing to keep track of who owns whom!)
The real interesting twist to the rumors this week - though Sprint is the dominant party taking over T-Mobile, it will actually be T-Mobile's unconventional CEO John Legere left in charge of the combined company.
I have loved how Legere has shaken up the entire mobile industry - causing ripples of change that have impacted even the bigger players. If he is also put in charge of Sprint's resources, he may soon have twice as much leverage.
This will be a very interesting developing story to keep an eye on.
- The T-Mobile Network Experience (TNX) - Next Step in Transitioning Sprint Customers Posted on: October 8, 2020
- Boost Mobile Plan Changes Include a New 35GB High Speed Data Cap on Go Unlimited Phone Plans Posted on: August 13, 2020
- Last Call for Sprint Plans - New Customers To Be Directed to T-Mobile starting August 2 Posted on: July 27, 2020
- Boost Mobile Sold To Dish Network - New Plans & Changes to Unlimited Plans Coming Posted on: July 6, 2020
- T-Mobile Completes Shutdown of Sprint's 5G Network Posted on: July 6, 2020
- T-Mobile Ramps Up Sprint Integration: Mid-Band 5G Coming in Philly and NYC, More Updates Posted on: April 21, 2020
- No Joke: T-Mobile & Sprint Merger is FINALLY Complete! Posted on: April 1, 2020
- Calyx Institute Introducing Quarterly Pricing on Unlimited Sprint Hotspot Offering Posted on: March 10, 2020
- It's (Almost) Over - Federal Judge Approves Sprint / T-Mobile Merger Posted on: February 11, 2020
- Virgin Mobile Ends USA Service Plans - Migrates Customers to Boost Mobile Posted on: January 7, 2020