The Verge and other news outlets reported that T-Mobile has altered the timeline for shutting down Sprint's 3G CDMA network, which was scheduled for today, March 31, 2022.
Initial reports indicated that T-Mobile might be delaying the shutdown, but instead, they plan to start shutting the Sprint 3G network down on March 31st and complete it by May 31, 2022.
T-Mobile released the following statement to several media organizations:
We are proceeding as planned with the orderly shutdown of our CDMA network beginning on March 31. As part of our shutdown process, we are migrating customers in some areas over the following 60 days to ensure they are supported and not left without connectivity, and the network will be completely turned off by no later than May 31. This is a normal network transition process. We look forward to sunsetting this outdated technology so every customer will have access to the best connectivity and best experience in wireless
Key Mobile Internet Related Considerations:
- Those still utilizing 3G technology need to upgrade.
- Sprint's 3G network is the second 3G network to be shut down. AT&T began sunsetting its 3G network in late February 2022.
For more information:
- Fierce Wireless: T-Mobile extends CDMA network shutdown
- The Verge: T-Mobile begins shutdown of Sprint 3G network, to be completed ‘no later than May 31’
Related Content at the Mobile Internet Resource Center:
- Guide: Cellular Evolution: 2G Thru 5G, And Beyond!
- Content Collection: Using Cellular Data for Mobile Internet
- Verizon 3G/CDMA Network Officially Shutdown Posted on: January 4, 2023
- Verizon 3G Shutdown Update - Will It Affect Mobile Internet Users? Posted on: November 29, 2022
- Sprint LTE and T-Mobile 3G Networks Officially Shutdown Posted on: July 6, 2022
- T-Mobile Clarifies Sprint 3G CDMA Network Shutdown Timeline Posted on: March 31, 2022
- AT&T Signs 3G Roaming Agreement with T-Mobile Posted on: February 22, 2022
- AT&T 3G Shutdown Coming February 22nd 2022 - Are You Ready? Posted on: January 31, 2022
- T-Mobile-Sprint Merger Update: Sprint 4G/LTE & 3G Network Shutdown Dates Announced Posted on: August 9, 2021