But perhaps noticing that more and more people are watching TV over the internet than over the air, Winegard is now also pursuing an entirely new direction:
RV Wi-Fi range extending, and integrated roof-mounted cellular modems.
Alternate Product Consideration
In early 2018, Winegard released the ConnecT 2.0 in both Wi-Fi and LTE only models. It is lower priced, more visually appealing and allows you to use your own SIM card - but removes the interior router component.
Winegard keeps both products still available, and we definitely recommend considering the 2.0 to see if it might meet your needs as well. There are pros and cons to both models.
The ConnecT Kits - Described
The ConnecT outdoor unit looks like an inverted three legged stool, and honestly it looks a bit odd on an RV roof.
The three legs of the stool are actually high-gain 5dBi Wi-Fi antennas, and the Wi-Fi radio in the base can use these three antennas to lock on to distant 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n campground Wi-Fi.
If you have wired equipment as well, the ConnecT also provides a single wired gigabit ethernet port.
The outdoor unit connects to the indoor unit via a 25' ethernet cable, which provides both the power and a data connection between the two.
Specifications - Winegard ConnecT
- Wi-Fi Router: Yes
- Outdoor 2.4GHz Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n - 450Mbps Max (3x3 MIMO)
- Indoor 2.4GHz Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n - 450Mbps Max (3x3 MIMO)
- Indoor 5GHz Wi-Fi: 802.11 ac/a/n - 1300Mbps Max (3x3 MIMO)
- Wi-Fi Antenna: 3x 5dBi Outdoor Antennas, 6x Integrated Indoor Antennas
- Wi-Fi as WAN: Yes - Roof Mounted Long Range
- Guest Wi-Fi Network: Yes
- Cellular Tethering via USB: USB Port Present, But Not Enabled
- Integrated Cellular Modem (ConnecT 4G1):
- Roof mounted AT&T LTE modem w/ MIMO antennas.
- LTE Category 3 (Max Theoretical Speed: 100Mbps Down / 50Mbps Up)
- Integrated SIM, no accessible SIM slot.
- Ethernet Ports: 1x 1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet LAN, 1x POE for roof unit.
- Special Features: None
- Power Source: 110V AC Adapter Included (no official 12V option)
- Dimensions: tbd
- Outdoor Rated: Yes
- Retail Price:
- ConnecT WF1 (Wi-Fi) - $549
- ConnecT 4G1 (+LTE) - $749
Table of Contents
Member Exclusive Content / Review:
- Thoughts & Analysis
- Hands on Testing
- Comparison the Connect 2.0
- In-depth Video Tutorial
- Purchasing Options
Review & Testing Status
We tested a prototype ConnecT s beginning in May 2016 for Winegard, and our impressions are shared below with our members.
In May 2017, Winegard sent us their newly released ConnecT 4G1 cellular model utilizing an AT&T data plan.
We took this unit on the road for several rounds of testing:
- Cellular Signal Enhancing Field Testing Results (2nd Quarter 2017)
- Mobile Router & Wi-Fi Gear Testing (Winter 2016/2017)
- Cellular Signal Enhancing Field Testing Results (Late 2016)
Unboxing Video & First Impressions
Here is our quick unboxing video and first impressions of the Winegard ConnecT 4G1, filmed in April 2017.
Our deeper analysis, impressions, and video guide are in our members-only section.
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
The roof mounted units for both the Wi-Fi only ConnecT WF1 and the LTE-equipped ConnecT 4G1 are available in either black or white.
Other than the external case color difference, the setups are identical.
- Winegard's ConnecT Website
- Amazon: ConnecT WF1 (Wi-Fi Only) | ConnecT 4G1 (LTE)
- Camping World: ConnecT WF1 (Wi-Fi Only) | ConnecT 4G1 (LTE)
Related News Center Articles
- 2018 Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2019 Posted on: December 31, 2018
- Looking Ahead: Will 2019 Be The Year of the Smart & Connected RV? Posted on: October 3, 2018
- Now Shipping: Winegard ConnecT 2.0 Roof-Mounted Wi-Fi & Cellular Router Posted on: February 20, 2018
- 2017 Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2018 Posted on: December 30, 2017
- Winegard Announces ConnecT 4G1: Rooftop Wi-Fi & Cellular Combined Posted on: April 26, 2017
Winegard's first entry into the RV internet space is too expensive for most weekenders, and too limited for full-timers that rely on staying connected.