To best tap into distant Wi-Fi, nothing beats having a Wi-Fi radio up on the roof dedicated to the task.
The WiFiRanger SkyPro (released in November 2016) is designed for exactly this.
The SkyPro consists of a small weather-sealed box with dual stubby antennas (total height 8") on top.
The two antennas are what sets the SkyPro apart - enabling it to use MIMO technology to double Wi-Fi speeds under the right conditions.
For many users - the SkyPro strikes a great balance, and it is one of our top recommendations for anyone interested in taking advantage of distant Wi-Fi networks.
Specifications - WiFiRanger SkyPro
- Wi-Fi Router: Yes
- Cellular Tethering via USB: No, but can pair with an indoor Core or GoAC for this functionality.
- Integrated Cellular Modem: No
- Ethernet Ports: No, but can pair with GoAC or Core for this functionality.
- Special Features: Data Usage Tracking, Auto Faillover
- Power Source: POE (Power Over Ethernet)
- Dimensions: 9.7" x 7.5" x 4.5"
- Outdoor Rated: Yes
- Retail Price: Alone: $289.99 | Paired with Core: $449.99
Other Models & Variations
- WiFiRanger Sky2 or the original WiFiRanger Sky. It looks similar to the SkyPro, but the dual-antennas are a dead giveaway that you are looking at the "Pro" model.
- SkyPro LTE - WiFiRanger has been experimenting with this new cellular integrated roof top unit since Spring 2017 - and we've had a couple of beta models in testing for them. As of May 2018, they are selling the SkyPro LTE model. It's a $200 uncharge from the non-LTE model with options to come shipped with a SIM card for your selected carrier (you can switch SIM cards on your own later). More: WiFiRanger Introduces Cellular-Integrated SkyPro LTE
- Sky4 (OEM) - WiFiRanger also has slightly different models available that they sell directly to RV manufacturers for installation. These can vary in specifications based on what the manufacturer wants. They typically have names like Sky4 that don't match the two consumer accessible models (Sky2 and SkyPro). WiFiRanger does sell a LTE upgrade kit for those who receive the Sky4 pre-installed on their RV.
Table of Contents
Member Exclusive Content / Review:
- Thoughts & Analysis
- Hands on Testing Notes
- SkyPro LTE: Hands On Notes
- In Depth Video Overview
- Purchasing Options
Review & Testing Status
WiFiRanger sent us a review unit of the SkyPro for evaluation in late 2016, and we have the new SkyPro LTE in our testing lab beginning February 2018.
We share our more detailed analysis, hands-on thoughts, and an in-depth video guide with our members below.
And members can view our ongoing field testing and range results here:
- Mobile Router & Wi-Fi Gear Testing (Winter 2016/2017)
- Cellular Signal Enhancing Field Testing Results (2nd Quarter 2017)
- Cellular Signal & Embedded Router Field Testing – IBR900 | MAX-BR1 | Drive Sleek | MIMO Antennas (1st Quarter 2018)
Product Overview Videos
February 2018: Here's our first impressions of the beta release of the SkyPro LTE:
December 2016: Here is our quick unboxing video and first impressions of the WiFiRanger GoAC, Core, EliteAC, and SkyPro.
Our deeper analysis, impressions, and video guide are in our members-only section.
A Full Review of this Product is Available to our Members
In thanks for funding this resource center our members have access to the in-depth unbiased review of this product based on our extensive hands-on time and testing.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the review.
But you can buy the SkyPro standalone if you ask for it, or you can choose to order with the more capable indoor GoAC instead
- April 2019 note: WiFiRanger seems to be having a temporary supply problem with compatibility with the SkyPro and GoAC pairing, and is not currently shipping this combo. Be sure to check in with them before ordering, hopefully this clears up soon.
Members: Be sure to check the Members Discount page for an exclusive discount code to use when ordering.
Related News Center Articles
- ALERT: WiFiRanger Recalls Defective 12V-to-24V Power Supplies Posted on: May 1, 2019
- WiFiRanger Teases Upcoming 'Converge' That Combines Wi-Fi, LTE, AM/FM, HDTV, and GPS Posted on: March 5, 2019
- 2018 Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2019 Posted on: December 31, 2018
- Looking Ahead: Will 2019 Be The Year of the Smart & Connected RV? Posted on: October 3, 2018
- WiFiRanger Announces Low-Cost MicroLTE Pack: Roof-Mounted Cellular & Wi-Fi Posted on: January 3, 2018