This device has been discontinued and we consider it obsolete. While current owners of this device may continue to find performance to be adequate for the foreseeable tech-future, we do not recommend upgrading to or purchasing this device.
Potential Current Option: December 5, 2016: WiFiRanger released the WiFiRanger EliteAC, which replaced this model.
To best bring in distant WiFi, nothing beats having the radio up on the roof.
The WiFiRanger Sky2 is a smaller, simpler, and cheaper option than the Elite - and consists of a small weather-sealed box with a stubby antenna (total height 8") on top.
The primary difference is in the capabilities of the radio - the Elite is substantially more powerful.
WiFiRanger claims the Sky2 has a maximum range of 2500ft (1/2 mile), while the Elite has a maximum range of 2 miles. These range predictions are extremely optimistic, but they should give you a good sense of the relative capabilities on offer.
Both the Sky2 and Elite are weatherproof, and they only have a single connection coming out - a 30' long ethernet cable. You power these outdoor Rangers via "Power Over Ethernet" (aka POE), a technique that combines power with the data signal. You can either use a standalone POE injector (included), or plug the Sky into the dedicated POE port on a Go2 or Mini.
Specifications - Elite
- Base Technology: MikroTik Metal 2SHPn
- Wi-Fi Router: Yes
- Cellular Tethering via USB: No, but can pair with Go2 or Mini for this functionality
- Integrated Cellular Modem: No
- Ethernet Ports: No, but can pair with Go2 or Mini for this functionality
- Special Features: Data Usage Tracking, Auto Faillover
- Power Source: POE
- Dimensions: 19" x 2.5" x 1"
- Outdoor Rated: Yes
- Retail Price: $359.99 / $409.99 (flat mount)
Testing Status: We have a unit in for evaluation.
- Looking Ahead: Will 2019 Be The Year of the Smart & Connected RV? Posted on: October 3, 2018
- WiFiRanger Announces Low-Cost MicroLTE Pack: Roof-Mounted Cellular & Wi-Fi Posted on: January 3, 2018
- 2017 Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2018 Posted on: December 30, 2017
- Breaking News: Major Wi-Fi Security Vulnerability Revealed, Mobile Routers & Devices Impacted Posted on: October 16, 2017
- WiFiRanger Introduces Cellular-Integrated SkyPro LTE (and Millenicom Partnership) Posted on: April 5, 2017
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
WiFiRanger's roof mounted long range WiFi antenna, radio and router.