Peplink is a large and respected company in the high-end mobile networking space, particularly well known for providing cellular connectivity for everything from fleets of vehicles to cruise ships to dispersed corporate offices.
While Peplink's Pepwave cellular integrated routers are not specifically designed with individual mobile users in mind, Peplink does offer solid and well-supported products that many advanced users have grown to rely on.
In March 2020, Peplink released the Balance 20X which is marketed as a cellular backup solution for offices with wired connections. However, the Balance 20X can be used as a dedicated mobile router since it runs on DC power, has an integrated cellular modem with the option of adding a second modem, plus all the benefits of Peplink's Primecare.
Additionally, the Balance 20X has a more advanced architecture than the MAX Transit and includes support for USB tethering, ample ethernet ports, and an upgrade path for more advanced cellular thanks to a "Flex" expansion module that functions similarly to Cradlepoint's MC-400 modules. This Flex expansion module allows the addition of a second modem to give the router dual-modem capability and also the promise of a 5G modem in the future.
For an overview of the full Pepwave product line (and a look at some of the software features in common across different devices), see our gear center entry:
- Model: BPL-021X-LTE-US-T-PRM (North American Version)
- Router Specs:
- # of Connected Devices: Up to 60 (recommended)
- Wi-Fi Router: Simultaneous 802.11ac
- Control Panel and Default Password: Not specified
- USB Tethering Support: Yes
- Ethernet Ports: 5x Gigabit Ethernet (1x WAN and 4x LAN)
- Cellular Modem Specs:
- Dimensions: 6.3 x 10.3 x 1.3 inches, 1.74 pounds
- Other Ports: GPS Antenna, USB WAN
- Power Source: DC 10V - 30V
- Outdoor Rated: No
- Special Features: Primecare Eligible - Bonding, Data Usage Tracking, Auto Failover, Integrated GPS, and Band Locking
- Retail Price: $399
- Modem Expansions: Cat-6 ($249), Cat-12 ($399), Cat-18 ($499)
News, Videos & Status
We received an evaluation unit courtesy of Peplink in July 2020, along with their brand new PUMA 401 4x4 MIMO antenna. We completed testing and our full review is available to members below.
Here's our first look video at the Balance 20X:
Recent Related News Articles:
- Peplink Provides SpeedFusion Free For 90 Days In Repsonse to COVID-19 Posted on: March 24, 2020
- An Overview of T-Mobile LTE Band 71 and Compatible LTE Modems & Routers (WiFiRanger, Gli.Net, Mofi, Pepwave, etc.) Posted on: March 13, 2020
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile routers on the market we are tracking - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Member Exclusive Content Below
- Thoughts & Analysis
- Deep Dive
- Pepwave Product Line-up Video
- Balance 20X Features & Limitations
- Testing Notes
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier, and we do not endorse any specific vendor. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
Members, be sure to check our Member Discounts page.
Routers can serve as a central conductor of your local area network in your RV and boat. Mobile routers are different from residential routers in that they typically support internet sources like cellular and Wi-Fi, can be powered off of 12v or AC and support external antenna for better receiving signal.
But you might not need a router in your setup. Here's a quick video overview the variety that routers come in:
To learn more, head on over to our guides that cover these topics further: