To best tap into distant Wi-Fi, nothing beats having a Wi-Fi radio up on the roof dedicated to the task.
The WiFiRanger SkyPro (released in November 2016) is designed for exactly this.
The SkyPro consists of a small weather-sealed box with dual stubby antennas (total height 8") on top.
The two antennas are what sets the SkyPro apart - enabling it to use MIMO technology to double Wi-Fi speeds under the right conditions.
For many users - the SkyPro strikes a great balance, and it is one of our top recommendations for anyone interested in taking advantage of distant Wi-Fi networks.
Specifications - WiFiRanger SkyPro
- Wi-Fi Router: Yes
- 2.4GHz Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n - (2x MIMO) 300Mbps Max
- 5GHz Wi-Fi: N/A
- Wi-Fi Antenna: Dual Integrated 5dBi Antennas
- Claimed Wi-Fi Range: 1.5 miles
- Wi-Fi as WAN: Yes
- Guest Wi-Fi Network: Yes
- Cellular Tethering via USB: No, but can pair with an indoor Core or GoAC for this functionality.
- Integrated Cellular Modem: No
- Ethernet Ports: No, but can pair with GoAC or Core for this functionality.
- Special Features: Data Usage Tracking, Auto Faillover
- Power Source: POE (Power Over Ethernet)
- Dimensions: 9.7" x 7.5" x 4.5"
- Outdoor Rated: Yes
- Retail Price: Alone: $289.99 | Paired with Core: $449.99
Other Models & Variations
The WiFiRanger SkyPro may look similar to the basic WiFiRanger Sky2 or the original WiFiRanger Sky, but it is significantly more advanced - and the dual-antennas are a dead giveaway that you are looking at the "Pro" model.
WiFiRanger in April 2017 announced two new additional variants of the SkyPro that will be coming to market soon:
- SkyPro YODPod - "Your Own Device" POD - adds a built in USB port and docking space under the case lid for you to addd a plug-in USB cellular modem that will give you a cellular connectivity option on your roof, well above low-level obstructions. The SkyPro YODPad pack is $499, a $50 premium over the basic SkyPro Pack.
- SkyPro LTE - If you don't want to put your own cellular device on the roof in the YODPod, WiFiRanger will sell you an LTE modem integrated directly into the SkyPro, with T-Mobile powered service available in partnership with Millenicom. The SkyPro LTE pack will cost $589.
For more information on these two new models, and the potential tradeoffs to be made sticking your cellular modem on the roof, read our story:
Review & Testing Status
WiFiRanger sent us a review unit of the SkyPro for evaluation in late 2016.
We have had the SkyPro mounted on our RV roof ever since, and have had it in active head-to-head testing against several other competitors.
We share our more detailed analysis, hands-on thoughts, and an in-depth video guide with our members below.
And members can view our ongoing field testing and range results here:
Here is our quick unboxing video and first impressions of the WiFiRanger GoAC, Core, EliteAC, and SkyPro.
Our deeper analysis, impressions, and video guide are in our members-only section.
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
WiFiRanger primarily sells direct online and at RV rallies.
The SkyPro is typically sold as part of the SkyPro pack, bundled with a WiFiRanger Core indoor router for $449.99.
But you can buy the SkyPro standalone if you ask for it, or you can choose to order with the more capable indoor GoAC instead.
Members: Be sure to check the Members Discount page for an exclusive discount code to use when ordering.
Related News Center Articles
- WiFiRanger Introduces Cellular-Integrated SkyPro LTE (and Millenicom Partnership) Posted on: April 5, 2017
- 2016 RV Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2017 Posted on: January 6, 2017
- WiFiRanger Announces "Passport" - Partnership with RV Parks for Guaranteed Fast Wi-Fi Posted on: January 2, 2017
- WiFiRanger Revamps Entire Product Line - Embracing 802.11ac Wi-Fi Posted on: November 23, 2016
- WiFiRanger Releases First Firmware Update Since July - Aims For More Frequent Future Releases Posted on: February 12, 2016
WiFiRanger's low-profile roof mounted SkyPro is a very solid option for any RVer looking to build in enhanced long-range Wi-Fi into their rig.