To best tap into distant Wi-Fi, nothing beats having a Wi-Fi radio up on the roof dedicated to the task.
The WiFiRanger SkyPro (released in November 2016) is designed for exactly this.
The SkyPro consists of a small weather-sealed box with dual stubby antennas (total height 8") on top.
The two antennas are what sets the SkyPro apart - enabling it to use MIMO technology to double Wi-Fi speeds under the right conditions.
For many users - the SkyPro strikes a great balance, and it is one of our top recommendations for anyone interested in taking advantage of distant Wi-Fi networks.
Specifications - WiFiRanger SkyPro
- Wi-Fi Router: Yes
- 2.4GHz Wi-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n - (2x MIMO) 300Mbps Max
- 5GHz Wi-Fi: N/A
- Wi-Fi Antenna: Dual Integrated 5dBi Antennas
- Claimed Wi-Fi Range: 1.5 miles
- Wi-Fi as WAN: Yes
- Guest Wi-Fi Network: Yes
- Cellular Tethering via USB: No, but can pair with an indoor Core or GoAC for this functionality.
- Integrated Cellular Modem: No
- Ethernet Ports: No, but can pair with GoAC or Core for this functionality.
- Special Features: Data Usage Tracking, Auto Faillover
- Power Source: POE (Power Over Ethernet)
- Dimensions: 9.7" x 7.5" x 4.5"
- Outdoor Rated: Yes
- Retail Price: Alone: $289.99 | Paired with Core: $449.99
Other Models & Variations
The WiFiRanger SkyPro may look similar to the basic WiFiRanger Sky2 or the original WiFiRanger Sky, but it is significantly more advanced - and the dual-antennas are a dead giveaway that you are looking at the "Pro" model.
WiFiRanger in April 2017 announced two new additional variants of the SkyPro that will be coming to market soon:
- SkyPro YODPod - "Your Own Device" POD - adds a built in USB port and docking space under the case lid for you to addd a plug-in USB cellular modem that will give you a cellular connectivity option on your roof, well above low-level obstructions. The SkyPro YODPad pack is $499, a $50 premium over the basic SkyPro Pack.
- SkyPro LTE - If you don't want to put your own cellular device on the roof in the YODPod, WiFiRanger will sell you an LTE modem integrated directly into the SkyPro, with T-Mobile powered service available in partnership with Millenicom. The SkyPro LTE pack will cost $589.
For more information on these two new models, and the potential tradeoffs to be made sticking your cellular modem on the roof, read our story:
UPDATE: SkyPro LTE Delayed (October 2017)
In response to feedback from numerous beta testers (including us), WiFiRanger has told us that they have put the SkyPro LTE model on hold until they can integrate a modem that is fully carrier independent. Forcing people to pick between AT&T / T-Mobile and Verizon was just too limiting, and RVers are very reluctant to get locked in.
Avoiding lock-in is completely understandable - particularly for a device that is intended to be relatively permanently mounted to the roof of an RV!
As of October 2017 there is no SkyPro LTE product release ETA, but WiFiRanger tells us that they are currently evaluating several new modem options.
The specifications of the modem in the original SkyPro LTE were underwhelming - hopefully the next iteration will be much more capable overall.
Review & Testing Status
WiFiRanger sent us a review unit of the SkyPro for evaluation in late 2016.
We have had the SkyPro mounted on our RV roof ever since, and have had it in active head-to-head testing against several other competitors.
We share our more detailed analysis, hands-on thoughts, and an in-depth video guide with our members below.
And members can view our ongoing field testing and range results here:
Here is our quick unboxing video and first impressions of the WiFiRanger GoAC, Core, EliteAC, and SkyPro.
Our deeper analysis, impressions, and video guide are in our members-only section.
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
WiFiRanger primarily sells direct online and at RV rallies.
The SkyPro is typically sold as part of the SkyPro pack, bundled with a WiFiRanger Core indoor router for $449.99.
But you can buy the SkyPro standalone if you ask for it, or you can choose to order with the more capable indoor GoAC instead.
Members: Be sure to check the Members Discount page for an exclusive discount code to use when ordering.
Related News Center Articles
- Breaking News: Major Wi-Fi Security Vulnerability Revealed, Mobile Routers & Devices Impacted Posted on: October 16, 2017
- WiFiRanger Introduces Cellular-Integrated SkyPro LTE (and Millenicom Partnership) Posted on: April 5, 2017
- 2016 RV Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2017 Posted on: January 6, 2017
- WiFiRanger Announces "Passport" - Partnership with RV Parks for Guaranteed Fast Wi-Fi Posted on: January 2, 2017
- WiFiRanger Revamps Entire Product Line - Embracing 802.11ac Wi-Fi Posted on: November 23, 2016
WiFiRanger's low-profile roof mounted SkyPro is a very solid option for any RVer looking to build in enhanced long-range Wi-Fi into their rig.