The Novatel Global Modem USB730L is a Verizon USB cellular modem, released in July 2017.
The updated model is very similar but the USB730L has a Cat 6 cellular modem (max theoretical speed of 300Mbps) while the U620L had a Cat 4 modem (max theoretical speed of 150Mbps).
This potential speed doubling is exciting - but a substantial performance advantage will only really show up under ideal network conditions.
But the future headroom as Verizon evolves its network is certainly nice to have.
- Model #: 730L (MC730)
- # of Connected Devices: Single device via USB
- Control Panel and Default Password:
Control Panel: http://my.usb/ or http://192.168.1.1
Default Password: "admin"
- USB Tethering Support: Yes
- Supported Networks and Bands:
4G/LTE: 2, 3, 4, 5, 13
3G: HSPA+ 850/1900/2100MHz; EVDO
2G: GSM EDGE
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes, 2-band
- MIMO Support: 2X2 internal
- LTE Performance Category: Category 6
(Max Theoretical Speed: 300Mbps Down / 50Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: Single unofficial "test port" - TS9 connector.
- Other Ports: N/A
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: N/A
- Claimed Battery Life: N/A - no battery
- Can Be Powered Without a Battery: Yes
- Dimensions: 3.27'' x 1.38'' x 0.45'' / 2.08 oz
- SIM Card Type: Nano
- Retail Price: $249.99
News, Videos, & Status
Novatel sent us a review unit. Members can follow along with our testing here: Cellular Equipment Field Testing Results – Netgear Modems / USB730 (Late 2017)
Overall the unit works as advertised but a dedicated mobile hotspot device (Jetpack) will be more powerful, more useful and cheaper for the majority of users.
Unboxing Video & First Impressions
Here is our product unboxing video, and initial thoughts:
- Verizon Announces New Unlimited Ultimate Smartphone Plan With 60GB Of Personal Mobile Hotspot Posted on: August 30, 2023
- Visible Lowers Price of Basic Plan to $25 Posted on: August 1, 2023
- Verizon Price Increases On Legacy Smartphone Plans and Wireless Home Internet Posted on: July 28, 2023
- New Verizon Business Smartphone Plan Lineup Increases Mobile Hotspot Data and Streaming While Reducing The Price Posted on: July 19, 2023
Alternatives to Consider
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Purchasing Links & Disclaimer
We don't sell stuff, we are primarily member funded. Some links below may be affiliate links (see our disclaimer), which also helps fund MIRC.
The vendors displayed below provide larger discounts to our MIAs that we have negotiated instead of displaying affiliate links while they are logged in.
MIA Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our Mobile Internet Aficionados (MIA) get special discounts from the below vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. With savings up to 11% off, you could save more than your membership cost!
The USB730L is available directly from Verizon and third-party sellers like Ebay and Amazon.
Mobile hotspot devices are small, self-contained units that receive a cellular data signal and transform it into an internet connection. They are a cellular modem and router combined. Most can create their own personal Wi-Fi network.
They are typically designed with a specific cellular carrier in mind and require a suitable cellular data plan of their own to operate. You might see them called Jetpacks (Verizon's term for them) or MiFi (Inseego's name for them).
Here's a quick video going over the features of a hotspot, and what makes one better than another:
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.