The Freedom Connect rooftop mobile router from OpenRoad Mobile combines a basic mobile router and antennas into a weatherproof rooftop dome that is designed for RV and marine use. It can provide cellular connectivity or connect to local Wi-Fi to provide an internet connection. Devices connect via Wi-Fi to the rooftop unit directly, or an optional indoor access point can be added.
The device is available as an OEM option on some Tiffin motorhomes and is also be available as an aftermarket kit.
The design and function of the Freedom Connect are similar to other rooftop systems such as the Togo Roadlink 2.0 and Winegard ConnecT 2.0, but the Freedom Connect has the option for an Ethernet connection to an indoor access point, and also uses a much smaller enclosure.
The Freedom Connect hardware is a rebranded version of the Glomex WeBBoat 4G Lite EVO, but comes with its own branded firmware, mobile app, and additional optional accessories.
What's unusual about this system is that inside the rooftop dome housing is a Teltonkia RUT240 router, which is the heart of the system, and it is combined with customized firmware and antennas.
OpenRoad Mobile also sells cellular data plans, and can ship the device with an activated SIM.
- Model: Freedom Connect (IT1104)
- Router Specs:
- # of Connected Devices: Up to 50
- Wi-Fi Router: Yes
- Wi-Fi Standard: Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) - 2.4 GHz
- Max Theoretical Wi-Fi Speed: Not specified
- Wi-Fi Antennas: 1x
- Wi-Fi as WAN: Yes
- Claimed Wi-Fi Range: Not specified
- Guest Wi-Fi Network: Yes
- Default Control Panel Address: 192.168.1.1
- USB Tethering Support: No
- Ethernet Ports: 2x Fast Ethernet
- Cellular Modem Specs:
- Cellular Modem: Single 4G
- Modem Chipset: Quectel EC25-AF
- Supported Networks and Bands: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
- LTE Bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 38, 40, 41, 71
- MIMO Support: 2x2
- LTE Performance Category: Cat-4 (Max Theoretical Speed: 150 Mbps Down / 50 Mbps Up)
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: No
- Cellular Antennas: 2x integrated
- SIM Slots: 1x Mini-SIM
- Dimensions: 8 x 5.5 inches
- Other Ports: None
- Power Source: Direct 12V power supply
- Outdoor Rated: Yes
- Retail Price: $449.00
News, Videos & Status
We were sent an evaluation unit in late 2021 for review. Our full review is available for members in the member section below.
Related News Center Articles
- Inseego Wavemaker - New 5G Gateways and Routers Posted on: February 7, 2022
- WiFiRanger Releases Osprey Cellular Router to Pair With Winegard's Air 360+ Rooftop Antenna System Posted on: January 28, 2022
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Links Provided for Convenience
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer). We request vendors give our members bigger discounts instead of giving us affiliate kickbacks.
Member Discounts - Learn & Save!
Our MIAs get special discounts from these vendors. Members please check for discount codes before ordering. Some vendors offer up to 10% off - you could save more than the cost of your membership on major purchases.
Routers can serve as a central conductor of your local area network in your RV and boat. Mobile routers are different from residential routers in that they typically support multiple internet sources like cellular and Wi-Fi, can be powered off of 12v or AC and support external antenna for better receiving signal.
But you might not need a router in your setup. Here's a quick video overview the variety that routers come in:
For more on learning about mobile routers and how they might fit in your setup, follow up with our educational resources: