T-Mobile has expanded its Test Drive program to eligible iPhone devices.
With this program, those interested in trying T-Mobile for the first time can access 30 days or 30GB of T-Mobile data on an iPhone XS or higher - for free.
Table of Contents
The Test Drive Program
First introduced in 2014, this program has been through a few iterations.
Most recently, T-Mobile has provided those interested in trialing T-Mobile cellular data service with a free mobile hotspot device and 30 days or 30GB worth of data - whatever comes first.
Now, T-Mobile is offering its 30 days or 30GB of free data to iPhone users who have phones with eSIM capabilities. This free service is activated through the Test Drive app.
The Finer Details
This is a pretty straightforward offer.
No credit card or payment information is required to use the Test Drive program.
Signing up requires an email address, phone number, name, and zip code.
T-Mobile states that you need to be a non-T-mobile customer. Eligibility is likely checked by a combination of the information provided.
This program uses eSIM and is initiated through the Test Drive app, which means eligible devices are limited to the XS or higher.
Those with the primary plan supported through eSIM should be a bit cautious if signing up for T-Mobile Test Drive on an iPhone via the app. When using Test Drive through your iPhone, any plan you have active on your eSIM will be temporarily disabled, and you will instead be able to place calls & TXT over your temporary T-Mobile number. This can be awkward if your eSIM is in use for your primary plan, since you will not be able to receive calls and text messages on that number without switching off the T-Mobile plan.
If you have your primary plan on a physical SIM, you will continue to receive texts and calls on your native carrier's network if available. You can use T-Mobile's data for the test plan period instead of the data of your physical SIM plan by selecting T-Mobile as the cellular data source in Settings.
Personal mobile hotspot is enabled during Test Drive, meaning you can share the data with other devices connected to the iPhone's hotspot.
There is no international roaming included on this plan, but 200MB of domestic roaming is permitted.
Those without eligible phones continue to have access to the T-Mobile Test Drive hotspot program, offering 30 days or 30GB of data on a hotspot device - for free. With this program, after the 30 days or 30GB are used, you get to keep the hotspot device too.
Thoughts & Considerations
If you've been thinking about adding a T-Mobile data plan to your arsenal, the Test Drive program is a great way to try it before you buy.
T-Mobile recently began offering the Mobile Internet 100GB/$50 data plan again. If you've been on the fence about activating a plan, this extension of the Test Drive program is a great way to see if T-Mobile data might support your needs.
The ease of activation over an existing iPhone with eSIM makes this a sweet little backup option to activate when you find yourself in an area where only T-mobile seems to work, or you've depleted other plan options.
Our past news stories on T-Mobile Test Drive:
- T-Mobile Announces Updated Test Drive Offer: 30GB/30Days of Data on a Coolpad Surf
- T-Mobile Announces Free Streaming / 7 Day Test Drive
- Coverage? App Update - Integrated SpeedTest by Ookla, Updated 5G Layers, 3G & Sprint Removed Posted on: September 23, 2022
- Sprint LTE and T-Mobile 3G Networks Officially Shutdown Posted on: July 6, 2022
- T-Mobile Updates Home Internet Service FAQ - Location Changes Require Contacting Carrier Posted on: June 20, 2022
Related Information & Guides:
- T-Mobile: T-Mobile Test Drive
- T-Mobile: Test Drive for iPhone YouTube Announcement
- Guide: The Major US Carriers: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint – Which is Best for RVers & Cruisers?
- Guide: Ways to Use Cellular Data To Get Online: Mobile Hotspot, Smartphone, Tablet or Router?
- Guide: Top Cellular Data Plans for RVers & Cruisers – Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint
- Gear Center: Postpaid Plans by T-Mobile (Cellular Data Plans)