Starlink released their Starlink for RVs service a little over a week ago that allows immediate shipping of equipment, regardless of waitlist status. The data plan comes with portability always enabled for $135/mo, allowing use anywhere on a customer's home continent at 'best effort' service.
The plan also comes with the ability to pause service, a great feature for part time RVers that only needs Starlink when they travel, and not at their permanent residence. The ability to pause service comes with the compromise of not having a registered service address with priority level service.
Many RVers however already had the Residential service and preferred the new Starlink for RVs option. At launch however, the only way to switch was to return current equipment (if within their 30 day return window) and re-order the new RV option.
This definitely seemed like a really limited oversight since there is no difference in the equipment and only a change on the plan you are subscribed to. Many customers inquired with Starlink about switching service, and were told the option was in the works.
And it seems now Starlink has made this intention known with an updated FAQ that now states the ability to change from standard Starlink service to RV service is coming soon. SpaceX doesn't give a specific date, but usually for things like this, the change is very soon to follow.
One caveat that should be noted is it does say that they cannot offer customers the ability to change from RV back to Residential at this time. So if you make the change, be certain it's what you want to do.
Key Mobile Internet Related Considerations:
- Starlink for RVs offers the ability to pause and start your service and is not tied to a registered service address.
- Starlink Residential +Portability (same price at $135/mo) is still often a better option for the full time RVer that always needs Starlink and wants a shot at priority service, or has a fixed location they want priority service at when at that location.
- If you switch to the Starlink for RVs service (once available), you will not be able to switch back to the standard Starlink service at this time.
For more information:
- SpaceX Launches Official "Starlink For RVs" - Deprioritized Service That Can Be Paused As Needed
- Starlink "Portability" Is Here - Enabling Roaming Across North America, For A Price
Related Content at the Mobile Internet Resource Center:
- Guide: Starlink Satellite Internet For Mobile RV And Boat Use
- Content Collection: Mobile Satellite Internet Resources
- Gear: SpaceX Starlink