Peplink is a large and well respected company in the mobile networking space - primarily focused on high end applications covering everything from providing cellular connectivity to fleets of vehicles to enabling whole-building network installations for hotels and offices.
But Peplink has not forgotten about individual consumers, and some of the lower end offerings in the product line are very well suited to the RV market.
This tiny router is meant to help travelers of all sorts get online wherever they roam - whether traveling by suitcase to a hotel, boat to a marina, or RV to a campground. The Surf OTG does this by sharing a cellular connection (via USB tethering), a Wi-Fi connection (via WiFi-as-WAN), or a wired ethernet connection (via a single switchable LAN/WAN ethernet port).
That adds up to a lot of functionality in a very small box at a great price.
What the OTG lacks in performance and higher-end features it makes up for in simplicity, affordability, and portability.
UPDATE (July 2018): We've been able to confirm that the latest (version 3A) firmware update to the Verizon Jetpack 7730L hotspot (our current Verizon top pick) breaks USB tethering with the Pepwave Surf On-The-Go.
The Surf On-The-Go is very rarely updated by Pepwave, so we are not sure when (or if) there will ever be an update released that fixes this incompatibility. Since this firmware update on the hotspot is mandatory, if you rely on this combination it might be time to consider upgrading to a more capable mobile-friendly router.
Because the Surf On-The-Go has not been updated in so long and is beginning to have compatibility issues, we no longer consider this device a Top Pick - particularly considering that the much more capable Surf SOHO is not all that much more expensive.
Specifications - Pepwave Surf On-The-Go
- Wi-Fi Router: Yes - Selectable Dual Band (Only One Band Active)
- Cellular Tethering via USB: Yes - Most USB modems & hotspots supported.
- Integrated Cellular Modem: No
- Ethernet Ports: 1x 100Mbps Fast Ethernet - LAN/WAN Switchable
- Special Features: Simplified User Interface, Suction Cup Mount
- Power Source: 110V AC Adapter Included, Optional 12V Power Supply
- Dimensions: 3.5" x 3.5" x 1.0"
- Outdoor Rated: No
- Retail Price: $119.00
Other Models & Variations
The original Pepwave Surf On-The-Go featured a USB 1.0 port that was only suitable for tethering to slower 3G USB hotspots and modems. That version was replaced in 2012 with the current model with a USB 2.0 port that better supports LTE speed tethering.
TIP: To make sure you have the faster version of the Surf On-The-Go, check via the control panel for hardware version 2.1, or send in your serial number to Pepwave support.
The older version will be too slow to effectively tether LTE devices.
Review & Testing Status
We have had the Pepwave Surf On-The-Go as part of our testing arsenal for years, and have found it to be a versatile tool for a range of situations.
We share our more detailed analysis, hands-on thoughts, and a video overview with our members below.
And members can view our field testing and range results here:
The Rest of this Review is:
Member Only Content
We are thrilled & honored to be primarily member & reader funded - allowing us to present unbiased content. The in-depth review section of this product listing is part of the premium membership benefits of joining. Members can also leave their own reviews on products.
If you're a member, please log in above to read the in-depth review for this product and/or leave your own review. If you've not joined yet, learn more about membership at:
Related News Center Articles
- 2017 Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2018 Posted on: December 30, 2017
- Long Awaited Pepwave MAX BR1 MK2 at Last Released! Posted on: November 27, 2017
- Breaking News: Major Wi-Fi Security Vulnerability Revealed, Mobile Routers & Devices Impacted Posted on: October 16, 2017
- Peplink Embraces LTE-A at Last, but Basic MAX BR1 Update Seemingly Delayed Posted on: March 22, 2017
- 2016 RV Mobile Internet Year in Review & Looking Forward Into 2017 Posted on: January 6, 2017
Pepwave Surf On-The-Go
Peplink's most basic compact travel router offers a lot in a small and affordable package.