In other words - the HumX is designed to keep passengers entertained with internet access while on a road trip.
But the HumX is a lot more than just a Wi-Fi hotspot. It also provides vehicle diagnostics, tracking, a speakerphone, and it can even give you (or your kids) a driving safety score.
Unfortunately - the HumX is saddled with frustrating limitations that make it relatively useless for the most common nomadic connectivity needs.
- Model Number: VT-400
- # of Connected Devices: 10 via Wi-FI
- Control Panel and Default Password: Located on the back of the HUM speaker
- USB Tethering Support: None
- Supported Networks and Bands:
4G/LTE: 2, 4, 5, 12, 13 and 17
- LTE-Advanced Carrier Aggregation: Yes, 1-band
- MIMO Support: 2x2 Internal only
- LTE Performance Category: Category 4
(Max Theoretical Speed: 150Mbps Down / 50Mbps Up)
- Cellular Antenna Ports: None
- Other Ports: OBD-II
- Wi-Fi Technology / Frequencies: 802.11 b/g/n - 2.4GHz Only
- Wi-Fi Device: 3.19" x 2.13" x 1.06" / 6.0 oz
- Speaker Device: 4.72'' x 2.76'' x 1.99'' / 6.0 oz
- SIM Card Type: eSim
- Retail Price: $120
NOTE: Verizon also offers the Hum+, which is a vehicle tracking/diagnostic tool without the built-in Wi-Fi hotspot feature. If you are looking for internet access, be careful not to accidentally purchase the wrong Hum!
News, Videos, & Status
We purchased a HumX and added it as a line to our Verizon New Unlimited Data Plan.
We used the HumX extensively for a brief period and then returned it shortly before the two-week return window closed.
Unboxing Video & First Impressions:
Here is our unboxing video and impressions of the Verizon HumX, filmed in May 2017.
- Verizon Adds News Streaming Service discovery+ to Select Plans Posted on: January 5, 2021
- Coverage? App Now Includes Maps for 5G, Canadian Carriers and U.S. Cellular Posted on: December 18, 2020
- FMCA Verizon Plan No Longer Available on FMCA Website Posted on: December 16, 2020
- Visible Enables 5G Support - Verizon's 5G Network For As Little As $25/mo Posted on: December 15, 2020
- FCC's Massive C-Band Auction Begins - Shaping The Future of 5G Posted on: December 8, 2020
Potential Alternatives to Consider:
For other popular mobile hotspots on the market - here are our featured options:
This Review Contains Additional Member Exclusive Content!
We are Honored to be Member Funded! No ads, no sponsors, no selling (but may contain affiliate links)
Our members fund our in-depth independent reviews.
This entry may contain additional member exclusive content such as testing notes, field testing data, user interface tours, comparisons to alternatives, analysis, tips, videos and discounts.
Members also get interactive guidance, alerts, classroom and more.
Purchasing Links Provided as a Courtesy
We do not sell any gear or equipment. These links are provided to make your shopping easier. Unless otherwise disclosed, only Amazon links are affiliate links (see our disclaimer).
To remain unbiased as possible, our primary source of funding comes from our premium members, and we have negotiated higher discounts from some vendors instead of accepting affiliate relationships.
Members, please do check your exclusive Member Discounts before placing an order.
REMINDER: Verizon also offers the Hum+, which is a vehicle tracking/diagnostic tool without the built-in Wi-Fi hotspot feature. If you are looking for internet access, be careful not to accidentally purchase the wrong Hum!
The guides below have been hand-picked to help further your education about selecting mobile hotspots and best utilizing them in your mobile internet setup.